Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Need help picking a hybrid

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello ladies!
    I am very new here, just decided a few days ago to get back in shape after having a baby, who is now 18 months old.
    Before kids, well, 10 years ago, I loved biking. Never had anything nice, just a hand-me down bike given to me by a friend. Really old bike.
    Then kids, etc. Finally, now that we are done, and the baby is older, I decided I need to start doing something for myself. Like going on bike rides around the area.
    I live in an urban area, but the beauty of it is that just minutes from my house is conservation area with packed dirt, small gravel, and paved trails. I am not thinking of anything really rugged, or jumping. Just packed dirt at most. and a lot of our trails are paved.
    I also would like the bike to go on regular roads, to zoom around the neighbourhood, or occasionally commute to work.
    From what I read so far, hybrid is a way to go for me.
    But which hybrid?
    I do have a budget. I really do not want to get outside of $600.
    I live in quite a large city in Canada, so LBS carry most of the big brands like Giant, Specialized, etc.
    I have gone to one shop that carries Giants.
    I was offered two different choices
    Giant Cypress DX and Giant escape 2 w or city.
    I liked he idea of cypress, but I don't think I can ride all the time in the upright position. Plus, the bike is very heavy. It is almost 35 pounds, which is a problem at my statue. I am 5'1 and 100 pounds. I also need XS frame. My friend has given me her co pilot seat, so I am planning to take my son with me. so, that adds weight to an already heavy bike.
    Do you ladies have some thoughts on what to look at.
    Is there anything in Specialized line that would suit me better that Giant?
    I understand that I would like to change bike up after a while. I'd like a bike that I don't hate 2 years later. so, I am willing to go a bit higher in price, a bit beyond something very basic. I learned that I outgrew my basic DSLR soon after and regretted not getting something a bit more advanced.
    I don't imagine going too fast with the baby, but I do imagine going fast without him:-) I'd like the bike to give me a level of fitness.
    I am considering only a new bike. I am very anal about things like that. I am a stroller fanatic, and would only buy a stroller if I know the person, who I know babied it. With a bike, I won't be able to judge how it has been treated.
    Sorry for such a long post and thank you very much in advance.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    First of all, at that weight and height and after being recently pregnant, you're during very well. Congrats. on baby!

Why would you have problems being slightly upright when biking? I've been cycling like this...for past 22 yrs. regularily. We have no car. Some years I've packed in 5,000 to 7,000 km. annually. I have been kept reasonably fit. I bike for commuting/transportation, fitness and touring.

I agree, a lighter bike is desirable and it is possible at the price. But you must choose whatever you're comfortable. So maybe you might have to adjust by going to $700.00 or more.
    (No I don't have any children.)
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

thank you very much for suggestion.
    I wonder how easy it would be to find it in Canada... I don't think my local shops carry it. I know they have it at Sportcheck (a store like ****'s), the Jamis brand, but they don't have coda...

well, being slim does not always mean being fit

Upright... I don't know. Does it fill comfy going uphill?
    I can test ride the bikes, so I guess I should give it a try. Cypress is a beautiful bike, It is just soooo heavy....

In terms of price. I can go higher, if I absolutely love the bike and I don't outgrow it 2 years later. meaning I don't feel like I have to upgrade.

I think that Jamis carried by big sports store is not the quite the same as Jamis carried by specialized stores. but I will go and ask.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hamilton View Post
    well, being slim does not always mean being fit

Upright... I don't know. Does it fill comfy going uphill?
    I can test ride the bikes, so I guess I should give it a try. Cypress is a beautiful bike, It is just soooo heavy....

In terms of price. I can go higher, if I absolutely love the bike and I don't outgrow it 2 years later. meaning I don't feel like I have to upgrade.
    I had a Cypress and yes it was heavier. (I just don't cycle it much anymore.) Already you don't like the idea. So don't get the Cypress.

If you've cycled drop down handlebars, then go ahead.

I lived in Vancouver for 8yrs. and there are hills all over. Some of my regular rides daily included 3 hills @ 8-10% each day for 26-40 km. (Depending at which year, which worksite location.) Sure it's possible. Just have the right set of gears. And it is easier, on a more upright bike, to stay seated while spinning up a hill.

I'm the same height and weight as you. But probably older. I'm in my blog, Cycle Write.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 06-18-2013 at 03:43 AM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

did you ride hills in Vancouver on Cypress?
    there is a LX edition now, which is in beautiful silver, and it has a locking suspension. which is kind of awesome. The store has it in XS, I guess I should ride it to see.

Several years ago I bought a Specialized Sirrus, which has served as my "everything" bike. They now have a women's model - I think it's called Vita. I'm not sure what's considered "hybrid" anymore. This bike does not have front suspension, but I've taken it on packed canal paths. It can take wider tires than the narrow ones it came with. The straight bars have been no problem for me over long distances.

Welcome to TE, and have fun hunting!

Hello, yes, Vita is one of the bikes on my short list. I am going to see it today.
    I also found a LBS with Jamis. I will go there as well.
    so far, my short list is:
    Jamis Coda Sport
    Specialized Vita
    Specialized Ariel
    Giant Escape 2 or City
    Giant Cypress DX or LX

Looks like my list is too long:-(

My hydrid is a Trek FX 7.3 - I use it for around town and even commuting to work. I ride on packed gravel and on the road and on bike paths. I love it.
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

Yes, I saw Trek 7.3 several times in different discussions. The LBS I am going to tonight has Treks and Specialized, so I will check out Vita, Ariel and Trek 7.3

Hello and welcome to the forums! Not to confuse you any more but I have a Specalized Expedition Sport MSRP is around $520. For it's size and specs it's not too heavy and it's quite nimble for the kind of bike it is. I use mine on bike paths, rural gravel roads and paved roads. I use it for pleasure, exercise, touring, commuting and errands. The gearing on the bike is great for climbing hills. I've added considerable weight to it with fenders, a back rack, touring/accessory trunk bag and sometimes a large wicker basket on the front, those items have not slowed me down. The bike is aluminum. I enjoy the upright position and have not found it to hinder me. I have arthritis and knee joint problems and this works great for me. Good luck in your search, test ride as many as you can, I'm sure you'll find the bike you love.
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

The Rapid and Dash from Giant are similar to the higher-end Trek FX line, I think.

Do you have a Fuji dealer near you? Check out the Absolute line as well.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hamilton View Post
    Hello, yes, Vita is one of the bikes on my short list. I am going to see it today.
    I also found a LBS with Jamis. I will go there as well.
    so far, my short list is:
    Jamis Coda Sport
    Specialized Vita
    Specialized Ariel
    Giant Escape 2 or City
    Giant Cypress DX or LX

Looks like my list is too long:-(

Your list is not too long. It is only 3 bike shops and definitely needed for bike comparisons, especially since you are as short as I am.

The Specialized Vita is much lighter than the Specialized Ariel by almost 10 pounds which is very significant in the biking world. Unfortunately, the Specialized Vita can only do paved roads and no dirt trails. The Specialized Ariel can do flat packed dirt trails but cannot do well on packed dirt trails that are hilly ( I know because I had one and the tire grip was terrible compared to a mountain bike).

Hope this helps your decision making. Let us know what you end up getting.
    2014 Liv Lust
    2013 Specialized Fate Expert with carbon wheelset (sold)
    2012 Specialized Amira Elite
    2010 Santa Cruz Juliana with R kit and Crampon pedals (sold)

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle (sold)

I am back from the store.
    Well, they only had Vita Elite. It's a beautiful bike, but at over $900 tax in, it really is too much for me to pay.
    They did not have regular Vita.
    I saw Ariel, it was Ok.
    They also showed me Specialized crossroads step over model. I am not so sure about it.
    The guy really pushed Kona Dew. It is the same price as Giant Escape 2. Which is a better bike, in your opinion? They looked pretty comparable too. To be honest, I like the look of giant more, but I understand I should not judge based on looks.

So far, I understood only that comparable Specialized are about $100 more that Giant. Correct me if I am wrong.
    Last edited by Lady Hamilton; 06-18-2013 at 01:27 PM.