Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hamilton View Post
    I have a question ladies.
    I obviously loved Vita.
    However. When I was riding, my hands hurt. I felt like I needed to have my hands higher. and felt like I was pushing myself off the handles constantly. this is not normal, right?
    I will go and ride again today. But I do wonder if I should have a small bike instead of xs. So the saddle is a bit lower than the handles.
    Honestly, I did not have this problem with the other bikes, as far as I remember. I will ride them all again today to confirm what I am thinking.
    I felt like the gentleman at the Giant LBS was more helpful.
    I love the color on the Vita Elite myself. You obviously love the color too. Is saving $200 over the course of one year worth not getting the bike that you are drooling over? Yeah, I'm also an enabler.

Try riding the Small. But also know that the bike shop can raise up the handlebars of the XS bike with risers. Also, they can provide different stem lengths to make the handlebars closer or farther away from your body.

The more you ride, the more comfortable you will be in a plank position (I kept lowering my handlebars and then had to flip the stem as I progressed in my biking speed). My triceps get a good workout from biking!
    2014 Liv Lust
    2013 Specialized Fate Expert with carbon wheelset (sold)
    2012 Specialized Amira Elite
    2010 Santa Cruz Juliana with R kit and Crampon pedals (sold)

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle (sold)

Re: Need help picking a hybrid

Body position is a funny thing. I've been riding my road bike and mtb for nine months now and recently got a hybrid/cruiser and it feels so odd to be upright. I definitely feel like I have more control when I'm more forward.

I also second, third, etc the motion to get the bike you truly love. See if the shop won't adjust it for you so you can try it adjusted before you buy.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

It's a beautiful bike and if it's the one that makes you feel good, it's the one you need. Like everyone said... see if you can get some adjustments made and take it out for a ride.
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

If a bike doesn't fit, you will never be comfortable on it. Doesn't matter if it has all the features you could ever want and looks like your dream bike on paper, if it doesn't fit, don't buy it.

What are some of the bikes/sizes that you have been comfortable on? There are probably some people here who can eyeball the geometry specs and compare them.

Trying it in a smaller size is a good idea. Trying it in a LARGER size is also a possibility, if what you're looking for is less drop between the seat height and the handlebar height.

It's unlikely that the shop will swap out a stem just for a test ride. But it can't hurt to ask. It is a simple, quick and fairly inexpensive modification, so at very least, if you trust the shop's fitter, they might be able to tell you whether a stem swap would give you a good fit. Sometimes you can have too much weight on your hands and the solution is actually a LONGER and/or LOWER stem, rather than shorter or higher. An easy way to make this intuitive is to get on the floor on your hands and knees, with your weight pretty much evenly distributed, then gradually shift your body back toward your hips, until you're in or near child's pose, with your arms very stretched out but little to no weight on your hands.

If a fitting is in your budget (as it should be), if there's an independent fitter in your area, work with them BEFORE making your decision. They will help you choose a bike and, once you've bought it, modify it to fit you.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 06-25-2013 at 04:41 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Here I am!
    So much written, while I was gone. Ladies, you truly are amazing.

Well, I went back to the shop. They have Vita Elite in every size. So, they put me on small. All of your suggestions/guesses/options were pretty much what they guy told me.
    I am 5'1. but I don't have long legs, my inseam is 27-28 depending what you measure to, it is 28 if you measure to the floor. Meaning, I have a slightly longer torso than I probably should. In the end, the problem I think was positioning. I am not used to riding low, but I can be broken into it. but I was ok on Small, so I will be going with small over XS. the reach on them differs very slightly, like 1 cm.

I was very comfortable on Kona Dew. That being said, and understanding the price difference, Vita is just a better bike. It is faster, it is zippier, it just handles better. Because I was comfortable on Kona, the guy swapped the stem for a taller one. To make Vita's bar taller. I was much more comfortable.

The shop provides fitting service for free with a road bike purchase. I guess vita is not considered road bike, so I didn't ask if I can have one. But the guy told me that they will do all the necessary alterations, like swap the stem, put slightly wider tires with more grip, etc.

I don't know why, but I felt like he was pushing me to buy Kona Dew, the Plus version, the one with disk brakes. And save the money.
    Last edited by Lady Hamilton; 06-25-2013 at 07:08 AM.

the weird thing about Vita's geometry is that the reach differs VERY slightly from size to size, but there's significant difference in where the handles are. that's what the guy told me, when he measured different sizes. So, going up in size made sense for me absolutely. I would get a higher bar.

Yes, 75 is an awfully short stem, that's why they will swap it for me even on a size Small bike.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerMom View Post
    I love the color on the Vita Elite myself. You obviously love the color too. Is saving $200 over the course of one year worth not getting the bike that you are drooling over? Yeah, I'm also an enabler.

Try riding the Small. But also know that the bike shop can raise up the handlebars of the XS bike with risers. Also, they can provide different stem lengths to make the handlebars closer or farther away from your body.

The more you ride, the more comfortable you will be in a plank position (I kept lowering my handlebars and then had to flip the stem as I progressed in my biking speed). My triceps get a good workout from biking!
    No, over the span of 10 -15 years $200 is very little to pay to get exactly what you want.

And yes, the gentleman also told me that I'm just not broken into the plank, and as my fitness level grows, I will be more comfortable. He basically said that vita is something I can grow into. With Kona - I am comfortable there already, and there are spacers that can be removed later, if I want a more agressive position. but, I am not a pro, and even I felt the difference about how the two bikes handle the road. So, I told him - if I get anything at their shop, it will be Vita.

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    The Kona Dew with Disc brakes is a lovely bike, but not if you prefer the Vita.
    Yes, it is also $200 cheaper. The guy at the bike shop thinks it is a better bike for me. He said that disk brakes are great, no maintenance, and I save all that money for accessories.

Just to throw this out there. Did you try the Sirrus? It's the men's version of the Vita (but not as pretty ) I have a proportionately short inseam with a longer torso, just as you described, and I'm very comfortable on my Sirrus. I'm not sure what the newer ones are like, but mine has a sloping top tube for good standover, and an adjustable stem to change the reach.

Yes, I actually rode Sirrus sport to get a feel what vita sport would be.
    to be honest, it is exactly like vita. And I do like white.
    Basically, I know realize that I need to just work with the LBS I like the most and get fitted there for whatever bike.
    I am going to Giant dealer today to try Escape again.

You are so right, the Vita is zippier. Can you tell I love my Vita Elite. <G> Get the Vita <G>
    Deany

"A girl can never have too many bicycles"

2008 Specialized Ruby Comp
    2012 Specialized Vita Elite
    2013 Specialized Myka Elite

I had to stop by the LBS today to pick up something I ordered and snuck a peek at the Vitas. Yup, it's there. I had to rush out before I took it home with me.
    2014 Felt Z75

Quote Originally Posted by TrekDianna View Post
    I had to stop by the LBS today to pick up something I ordered and snuck a peek at the Vitas. Yup, it's there. I had to rush out before I took it home with me.
    That's how I ended up with a Dolce a couple of weeks ago. I just went in for a part... Have you looked out your front door yet this morning? It may have followed you home.

Quote Originally Posted by IBrakeforPastry View Post
    That's how I ended up with a Dolce a couple of weeks ago. I just went in for a part... Have you looked out your front door yet this morning? It may have followed you home.
    It's not there. The bad thing is that I could actually justify it. I've even been enabled by my partner who "liked" the idea on my facebook post about it. GAH, willpower.
    2014 Felt Z75