Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Knicker/shorts advise

To disable ads, please log-in.

Last yr I bought two pair of PI Elite knickers w chamois. I wore them at least 5x a week. Fast forward to this year, and they are not fitting properly. DH bless his soul says its because I've lost weight, I think he is partially correct however I think washing them a zillion times has stretched them out. The chamois is moving all over the place, and I have to keep stopping to yank them back into place. Plus now I'm getting chafing issues, so time for new knickers. I want decent quality material, nothing that is sheer or see through. I have a 200 km ride coming up next month, so I need to find something fairly quickly. I prefer knickers, but I will wear shorts.
    Bottom line is comfort. Any suggestions ladies?
    No pressure No diamonds

You may have just lost weight ike your husband suggested. I was getting terrible saddle sores about 2 years ago when I was riding more mileage. I thought it was my saddle but it wasn't. I had lost weight and my shorts now didn't fit. I bought new shorts and didn't have a problem.

I don't know anything about knickers because of weather where I ride. It's pretty much always too warm. If you liked the PI chamois at one point, I would start there. Get a pair and give it a shot but go down a size. They also could have stretched but I would try on one size smaller. My best guess is that you have lost some weight and they don't fit the same.
    ***proud Hoosier, statistics nerd, and mom to a headstrong toddler***
    ****one car family and loving it!****

Owned by:
    Le Monstre Vert - 2013 Surly Cross-check
    Chessie, Scottish Terrier
    Bonzai, Catahoula Leopard Dog

If you like the chamois, get the Pearls again, but go a size smaller. If you ride lots, see if you can get more than two pairs.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    If you like the chamois, get the Pearls again, but go a size smaller. If you ride lots, see if you can get more than two pairs.
    I took your advise and reordered two pair of the same PI knickers in a smaller size, plus I ordered 2 pair of pedal pusher Capri (shebeest)
    Hopefully shebeest Capri's are made of fairly thick fabric, as I've noticed quite a lot of cycling shorts fabric to be on the sheer side, and I like the thicker no see thru fabrics.
    Anyone wearing the shebeest pedal pusher capri's? How's the fabric?
    No pressure No diamonds

Terry Bellas. Thicker, compressive, and thinner chamois.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I have some Castelli knickers that I like, but the material is pretty heavy -- good for spring/fall rather than for summer.

Has anyone tried these ? It's supposed to be from a black fabric that is cooler than normal shorts/knickers.

I really like my Gore knickers, the Power 2.0 model. I have 2 pair and they are my go-to bottoms when it's not yet warm enough for shorts (and I hate knee warmers). I also have a pair of the Oxygen (which is higher end and has my favorite chamois--I love the Oxygen short) knickers...these have windblocker fronts and fit oddly. I really only wear these if throwing a pair of heavy running tights over shorts will be too warm.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by Boudicca View Post
    Has anyone tried these ? It's supposed to be from a black fabric that is cooler than normal shorts/knickers.
    I just got a pair of PI running shorts made from the same Coldblack fabric. They're awaiting a wash, a run or two, and a review...
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Some fabrics appear sheer (I have some PI's that do look sheer in places) but they aren't once I get them on me. So, that's something to consider.

For more full-coverage, I love my LG shorts. They are a different type of fabric from most of the shorts on the market and really comfortable. It's a thicker fabric but it feels okay when it's warmer. The Chamois on the one's I have (I think about $80-$90.00 range) is not super thick but they are the ones I prefer for very long rides.
    ***proud Hoosier, statistics nerd, and mom to a headstrong toddler***
    ****one car family and loving it!****

Owned by:
    Le Monstre Vert - 2013 Surly Cross-check
    Chessie, Scottish Terrier
    Bonzai, Catahoula Leopard Dog

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I just got a pair of PI running shorts made from the same Coldblack fabric. They're awaiting a wash, a run or two, and a review...
    Report back please.

I mean they would be the priciest knickers I own, but if they work....

Haven't worn them yet, but I figured an objective test is the best. While they were on the clothesline this morning in full sun I stuck a probe thermometer inside the shorts, up against the fabric, on these and several other pairs of shorts.

It's hype.

What was interesting was that the fabrics with a matte finish were a few degrees cooler than the shiny black ones. Which wouldn't necessarily translate into *feeling* cooler, since they might not vent/wick sweat as well. But the Coldblack shorts were comparable to the two other pairs of shiny black shorts I had on the line ... three degrees cooler than one, three degrees warmer than the other.

Don't waste your money. I got the shorts from an overstock site, and they still weren't cheap, but not out of line for some of the other features I was looking for, but I wouldn't pay extra for the Coldblack.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I had originally bought Gore power lady bibs, but I returned them as they were incredibly sheer. I have no desire to have my rear end glowing like a full moon while on my bike.....snort... what a thought!
    No pressure No diamonds

I think shorts/knickers are an incredibly personal decision. Sounds funny, but really. I swear by Sugoi after having tried PI, Castelli, and a few other brands. If the PI knickers originally worked, I say go for them again. I do multiple day rides, so I have seven pairs, so they don't wear out quickly.

I bought 2 pair PI elite knickers and 2 pair shebeest pedal pusher Capri. I have not ridden in them yet, but after trying them on I discovered a few things. The Shebeest Capri visually is (IMO) more flattering, and I prefer the fabric over the PI fabric. The PI fabric has a shine to it which I don't personally care for, however the PI knickers feel like they have better compression and I already know I like the PI chamois so the shine issue is not a big deal. But, I have noticed that the chamois and stitching around the chamois on the PI knickers is quite visible (looking from the front) whereas the shebeest knickers chamois/stitching blends in and is quite unnoticeable. Not a big deal on the bike, but I don't think I would want to walk around a coffee shop wearing the PI knowing the crotch area chamois/stitching is quite visible. It's just my personal preference, I'm sure it's a non issue for many other cyclists.
    I'll let you all know how the shebeest chamois works out for me.
    And yes, the hubby was correct I have lost weight!!! I now have my sights set on fitting into a medium
    No pressure No diamonds