Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shorts for the heat and humidity??

To disable ads, please log-in.

Ok it was about 96 here yesterday and really humid. I learned that my shorts I have been riding in are not only too big due to weight loss over the last several months , but that they are really NOT heat and humidity friendly. I have a limited budget, but am willing to invest around $100-$150 tops in a good pair of COOL shorts for an upcoming ride in South Texas in July (yes I know that is crazy). Any suggestions , I am ultimately looking for a cool pair of shorts that will be good for a century ride.

Again open to all suggestions. Thanks.

I have these:
    http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodPI_11211305.html I got them on sale and would love another pair but can't afford another right now. I've had them about a year and a half and they are in amazing shape. I ride in them at least one time a week. The Chamois is great for hot, long rides. I have a pair of LG's I love for the longest rides but they aren't the best in the humidity.

The PI's are totally worth the money, though. Excellent pair of shorts.
    ***proud Hoosier, statistics nerd, and mom to a headstrong toddler***
    ****one car family and loving it!****

Owned by:
    Le Monstre Vert - 2013 Surly Cross-check
    Chessie, Scottish Terrier
    Bonzai, Catahoula Leopard Dog

Quote Originally Posted by colorisnt View Post
    I have these:
    http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodPI_11211305.html I got them on sale and would love another pair but can't afford another right now. I've had them about a year and a half and they are in amazing shape. I ride in them at least one time a week. The Chamois is great for hot, long rides. I have a pair of LG's I love for the longest rides but they aren't the best in the humidity.

Do you have any trouble with the seam running down the back of those shorts. Do they rub in the "crease" at all on longer rides? They look nice.

Quote Originally Posted by colorisnt View Post
    I have these:

I have bibs made from the same material, as well as a regular pair of shorts (that are getting too big for me). Can't go wrong with them if you like the PI chamois! I've never noticed the seam you asked about.

I also love my Sugoui RS shorts. I like the chamois better - it isn't as thick, though I have yet to see how well the material stands up in hot/humid weather. Hoping to find out this week They are designed for longer rides as well.
    Last edited by Catrin; 06-11-2013 at 07:51 AM.

The Sugoi RS are great in hot weather. I learned this the hard way, in Spain after my Bellas caused an issue. I still love them, just not when it's over 80.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    The Sugoi RS are great in hot weather. I learned this the hard way, in Spain after my Bellas caused an issue. I still love them, just not when it's over 80.
    +1 regarding the RS short in hot weather. For as compressive as the material is, it seems to breathe rather well.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Another vote for the Sugoi in hot/humid weather.

2001 Trek 7500 FX, converted to a hauler - Serfas
    200? Marin hybrid - Selle San Marco
    2004 Trek 5200 - Avatar
    2011 Trek 6.2 Madone - Ruby

I wear the LG Neo Power (long) shorts year-round. Before that I wore Shebeest Century shorts. I never felt they were a problem on very hot days. The Shebeest Century shorts used to have a mesh panel in the back at the top for added venting, which made me feel a bit cold in lower temps, but I don't know if they still have that feature on the current version.

For me the top I wear is most important on hot days. I like a Sugoi tri-top and DeSoto Cool Wings. Plenty of white airy mesh fabric with this combination.

On very very hot days, I've found I can't wear socks with black cuffs. Even that little bit of black on my ankles adds to my discomfort. Yet I haven't felt a problem with my shorts. Maybe it's because it's so damn hot at that point that I'm not noticing my legs.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Yeah, I don't mind the PI chamois at all but I know everyone has different preferences.

I second that Sugoi jersey idea. My favorite summer jersey is just a simple blue Sugoi one. It's not even sleevless but that's okay because it's better UV protection.
    ***proud Hoosier, statistics nerd, and mom to a headstrong toddler***
    ****one car family and loving it!****

Owned by:
    Le Monstre Vert - 2013 Surly Cross-check
    Chessie, Scottish Terrier
    Bonzai, Catahoula Leopard Dog

They're not my best-fitting pair of shorts, but both the chamois and the fabric on the Castelli Vizio Due are plenty cool for me.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Castelli's Vizio (or whatever they are now) shorts are probably the best I've found in hot, humid weather (I have the Vizio.1, which looks like the Vizio Due). Unfortunately, the chamois sucks, IMHO. Pearl Izumi's Elite In-R-Cool shorts are a very close second. I might see if I can swing a pair of the Pros for science.

I used my RS shorts on a not-hot but humid ride. I didn't like them as much as the Pearl Izumis.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Sugoi is still my favorite for hot weather -- RS or Evolution -- but I also have a pair of Assos which I got on special a while back, and they are pretty awesome in hot weather too, and they have a nice flat waistband that sits just below the waist and doesn't press. But either they run a little small, or I am running a little big. I wear medium in Sugoi or other brands, but the Assos medium are just a little snug, and I have to yank them up from time to time because that low waist slides down over my stomach.

Interesting that people like the PI Elite shorts in hot weather. I've had other pairs of PI shorts with chamois that felt clammy and gross in any kind of weather. One of them is a new pair that I got a few months ago. I wear them for short rides but would never consider them for longer rides and may wind up wearing old Shebeest shorts through the summer instead of them.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    Interesting that people like the PI Elite shorts in hot weather. I've had other pairs of PI shorts with chamois that felt clammy and gross in any kind of weather. One of them is a new pair that I got a few months ago. I wear them for short rides but would never consider them for longer rides and may wind up wearing old Shebeest shorts through the summer instead of them.
    Ok I got the PI Pro In-R-Cool shorts as a birthday gift. The legs are a little tight, but I am going to try them out this weekend and see how I like them. I will let you ladies know my opinion. If I don't like them I may try the Sugoi you guys suggested. Glad they were a gift.

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    The 3D chamois are different from the other chamois that PI has. I don't know WHY they work in hot weather, but I don't notice them once I am on the bike. The Sugoi RS is the only other I've found that I like as much as the 3D - and indeed I prefer them in general. I tried on other versions of the Sugoui shorts/chamois and don't care for them - I love the RS though. Sadly my PI smalls are getting a bit too loose