Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Long simmering crock pot recipes

To disable ads, please log-in.

I need some help if I'm going to make this work to ride a couple days during the week in my effort to build up to a century.

Here's the issue. I leave the house at 6am and dinner is around 6:30pm. I need some ideas for healthy meals that can simmer for that long. The only thing I can think of is beans. Those can simmer all day with no problems.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

I wish I could be helpful, but there are only a handful of crockpot dishes that I find appetizing and healthful, and there are even fewer that can cook on low in a crockpost for 12+ hours without being pretty overcooked--even beans. This is especially true with most newer crockpots, as the "low" setting isn't as low as it once was.

So, I do what I can to make a couple of meals over the weekend that can stretch over the week. This week, I made a black bean and mixed pepper filling for burritos and ratatouille served over whole wheat pasta. Last week, it was grilled chicken marinated in garlic, yogurt and lemon, with an assortment of vegetables and mushroom, onion, spinach frittata and a side salad. In the winter, I make a lot more soups and stews. They, frankly, are my preference when it comes to weeknight meals, because they're easy to reheat and stretch a long way. I'd also note that if you do a lot of your prep work in advance, a entree- sized salad can come together really quickly. One of my favorites has grilled flank stead, sliced thin, with a relish of corn, avocado and roasted poblanos. I can prepare all of that over the weekend and then just throw it onto some mixed greens come dinner time.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Re: Long simmering crock pot recipes

Thanks for the suggestions Indy. Sounds yummy!

The problem/issue is that if I bike during the week I won't be home until probably 7 or 8. My partner gets home around 630 so maybe the idea of making something that can be frozen and then nuked is a better idea.
    2013 Electra Verse

I often use the crockpot on the weekend, when I'm home earlier but still busy enough to want to come home to a ready-made meal. Mine has a warm setting, which helps with not overcooking things. Set it to low for 8-10 hours, and it will flip itself to warm. I also do a lot of cooking ahead like Indy describes. The rule in my house is that every recipe must yield at least two meals. It's virtually the same amount of prep work and yields plenty of food for packed lunches and "I can't think right now" dinners.

One of my favorite easy recipes is BBQ Apple Chicken. 6-8 boneless chicken thighs, a couple of peeled and chopped apples, and 1-1.5 cups of BBQ sauce. Cook on low for 8-10 hours. The chicken falls apart, but stays moist, like pulled chicken. (Like everything, I usually double this and we eat it all week or freeze extras.)

Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions Indy. Sounds yummy!

The problem/issue is that if I bike during the week I won't be home until probably 7 or 8. My partner gets home around 630 so maybe the idea of making something that can be frozen and then nuked is a better idea.
    We have the same problem at my house, in that I'm the primary "chef" and I don't get home from my workouts until 7 or after. I workout in one fashion or another on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and some Thursdays, so that doesn't leave a lot of room for cooking for the better part of the week. Freezing and nuking is an idea, but I don't freeze anything that I make over the weekends that is to be served during the week as most leftovers can be safely refrigerated for the week. We just reheat on the stove or microwave, as necessary. I often leave it to my husband to start reheating just before I'm due home or do a minimal amount of cooking (like rice or pasta).

It takes advance planning for sure, and there are some nights where I do have to rush home and make something that hasn't already been prepared or prepped in some way. My husband is, thankfully, often available to chop, grill, etc. as needed on those nights. We eat very little packaged food; nearly every meal is made from stratch, so it is doable. Admittedly, though, we only have two mouths to feed. I think it's harder to get leftovers to stretch with more than two mouths.....
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    The rule in my house is that every recipe must yield at least two meals. It's virtually the same amount of prep work and yields plenty of food for packed lunches and "I can't think right now" dinners.
    I have the same rule, although if I'm lucky, I can also get a lunch or two out of most of what I make. My husband is a champ at eating a random assortment of leftovers for lunch and I can count on him to get every little bit out of the meals I make. Like Becky, I'm more apt to use the crockpot over the weekend for a meal that will yield leftovers for the week. I also try to make one meat entree and one vegetarian entree each week, as I really don't like eating meat at every meal. We also eat a side salad with most dinners. That means that we typically eat a bit less of everything else.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I have the same problem with 12-hour days - too long for most of my favorite crock pot recipes. So now I usually prep all the ingredients while I'm fixing dinner. Then just before I go to bed, put everything into the crock pot and let it cook overnight. When I get up, I'll decant into a smaller casserole dish and put it in the fridge. Just heat it up at dinnertime.

My crock pot has settings where it will turn itself off after 5 hours or 8 hours, either low or high temp settings. It was a totally cheap crock pot, too.

I did a quick search. This one is nicer than mine, but it has the same feature: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Hamilton...e-0000760cc1f0
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois View Post
    My crock pot has settings where it will turn itself off after 5 hours or 8 hours, either low or high temp settings. It was a totally cheap crock pot, too.

I did a quick search. This one is nicer than mine, but it has the same feature: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Hamilton...e-0000760cc1f0
    When you say "turn itself off," do you mean that it goes from hi/low to "warm"? Mine goes to a warming feature when the alloted time or temp is passed/reached, but I've never used that feature for more than a half hour or so. I'm too paranoid about food staying at or above a certain temp to totally trust it.

I like withm's suggestion of cooking overnight though. I might have to try that myself.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I have a couple of slow cooker cookbooks that I like. This one..Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook is used a lot.
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

Alternatively, you can set a crock pot out and let it *start* cooking mid-day, so that it's ready before you get home. I don't have a timer on mine, but I use a cheap plug-in timer for those occasions when I need it (which isn't too often, I grant you).

My favorite crock-pot cook book is Slow Cooker Revolution by America's Test Kitchen. No inundation with cream of yuck soup, which is my primary complaint with most crock pot recipes. One down side is that there is a decent amount of prep with many of the recipes, including end prep once the food is done cooking. The other primary down side is that some of the recipes have exotic ingredients that I have trouble finding (and I live too far away from a Whole Foods Market - or as it is known at our house, "Whole Paycheck Market").
    "Susie" - 2012 Specialized Ruby Apex, not pink/Selle SMP Lite 209

I admit I hate cooking and I suck at it. Simpler is better for me, but occasionally I'll venture out if it's not too complicated.
    2013 Electra Verse

Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    I admit I hate cooking and I suck at it. Simpler is better for me, but occasionally I'll venture out if it's not too complicated.
    Little of what I make is technically complicated. There's prep, yes, and it helps to stay organized, but that's about it. I came to cooking later in life--when I got married at 40. Granted, I enjoy it, but I don't think it's hard if you choose your recipes carefully and use the right equipment.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Do you have someone who leaves the house a little later who could turn the crockpot on for you? (My mom used to ask me to do this when she was leaving at 5am for work when I was a teenager. I epically failed many times, leaving us with no dinner. Choose your responsible party wisely)

Even if you don't, two recipes come to mind, super easy.

1. Kaluha Pork
    From my awesome friend in HI. So easy. Can do it with chicken or turkey too. Also you could probably just do low all day long without turning it over. I never remember to turn it over.

4 lb pork butt (I used a shoulder roast)
    2 Tbsp Hawaiian sea salt
    2 Tbsp liquid smoke
    water
    Stab and slit the pork in many places (I made deep slits). Rub the salt all over the pork. Rub the liquid smoke all over the pork. Place in pot and pour enough water to an inch all around the pork. Cook on low for 3 hours. Turn the pork over. Cook on low for another 4-5 hours. Take the pork out and shred using two forks. Add enough of the remaining juices to moisten and salt the pork to liking. ONO!

2. Chicken w/ Enchilada sauce.

First, get some chicken. I'm thinking boneless skinless breasts, since deboning is a pain. And more rather than less, since you are going to have them in the crock pot all day.

Then get some canned enchilada sauce, red or green, whatever you like. Put the chicken in the crock pot. Cover the chicken in enchilada sauce. Cook it on low.

Shred the cooked chicken. Put some in a tortilla. Eat the chicken in the tortilla. Get another tortilla. Put more chicken in it. Eat that one too. Are you full yet? Ok, just one more.
    2001 Cannondale R500 <3
    2011 Specialized Ruby Elite Apex
    2021 Tangential Speedarama

Indy, I admire you taking on the cooking "later" in life. For various reasons it's always been my responsibility. It's a little ironic since my partner is an excellent cook and loves it, but she rarely has time. I do think though I'm going to try some of your suggestions.

Tangentgirl, we leave the house at 6 and the vampire child leaves at 6:30. Thank you for the recipes. They sound great!
    2013 Electra Verse