Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Socks!

Socks!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm curious, and seeking opinions.

What do we like? Wool? Synthetics?

And what style? "Micro"/ankle socks? Short cuff/"mini" socks? Crew? Inquiring minds want to know!

I wear both wool and synthetics, depending on the temperature. In summer, it's pretty much synthetics, because even Smartwool socks make my feet itch in summer. In winter, wool all the way. In spring and summer, it depends on my mood. I have some pretty silly synthetic socks. I own both mini and ankle wool socks, but only mini crew in synthetics. If I'm wearing tights or leg warmers, I definitely want the mini crew--zipper rub is unpleasant!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

My favorites for cycling and running in the summer are Feetures anklets made from bamboo and wool. Smartwool crew and knee socks can't be beat in the winter.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

Wool mini-crew with a bit of cushion, year round.

Injinji wool don't have enough cushion for me.

SW toe socks are poorly constructed.

Teko have this weird fit that tends to put a hole in my ankle over high miles.

So it's pretty much SW PhD Running, even though the quality isn't what it used to be, and the elastic in the ankle cuffs wears out over a couple-three years.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I have a collection of SW socks that I wear in cool and cold weather (although I don't ride as much in cold weather as I used to). Most of them are Ultralight Minis that I used for both cycling and running. My summer socks are by Wrightsocks; their Coolmesh low quarters to be exact. I suffer from a hot spot of sorts on my right big toe, and these socks (along with a liberal use of Tiger Balm) help me keep it to a dull roar most of the time. It's too bad, because I have a sizeable collection of (mostly) Sock Guy cycling socks that I don't wear much anymore.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I'm in Indy's boat. I have lots of cute socks (synthetic), but I am wearing more wool all year round. I wear SW or 6 Point wool cycling socks in various lenghts, mostly mini and micro, but I do have some crew length. I also love DeFeet Woolie Bullies for my heaviest socks. Thin, but thick at the same time. Been trying to wear more synthetic now that it's clearly summer weather, but I have awful issues with my feet burning after about 30 miles, especially in my mountain shoes. The wool seems to prevent it. Guess I'll be buying some more wool socks.
    I wear Tekko socks for the gym and/or walking/running.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

DeFeet Wooleators and Aireators fit me best. I have a couple of pairs of their Speede socks, but I prefer a bit more of a cuff than what they have. The cuff on the Wooleators and Aireators is just right. I also have several pairs of the taller wool socks, which I wear for colder temps.

http://www.teamestrogen.com/defeet/p...0-b100018.html

The Woolie Boolies are great too, but they're a bit too thick for my bike shoes.

I generally go with wool socks for temps below 70F and regular socks for 70 and above. I try to color coordinate my socks with my jersey, not necessarily to match the colors but I definitely like to make sure they don't clash.

I can't wear socks with tight elastic around the mid-foot/arch area. I do not understand the point of the extra elastic, and more importantly I find it very uncomfortable. This rules out all SmartWool cycling socks, and all the Teko socks I've looked at.

p.s. I have a pair of Aireators with smiling yellow rubber duckies on the cuffs that I bought more than 10 years ago and I still wear them. Just the other day someone complimented me on them.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles