Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

The dreaded chafing!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi ladies. I've been having a bit of an issue with chafing lately. Do you find that chafing is from your shorts, your saddle or the combo of both? I seem to have the same chafing no matter what shorts I wear so I'm beginning to wonder if it's more my saddle shape than my shorts. The chafing I get is at the "crease" where top of the hamstring and bottom of cheek meet (where your panty line would be) on any ride over 30-35 miles, even if I put chamois butt'r there. I feel like all my shorts have the stitching that holds the chamois to the short right at that location and it rubs my saddle. I have this issue both with my PI and Sugoi shorts and I believe they both fit properly and I like them otherwise. I have a metric century next weekend and I'm little concerned. After riding 45 mi this morning and double application of butt'r, I have big, warm red spots on both sides. Suggestions? Thanks.
    2010 Trek 2.1 WSD

I know, it's going to hurt! That's what I was thinking - too pear shaped. I have a Bontrager Affinity R (http://trekstoremadison.com/product/...le-76217-1.htm). I was measured for width at the LBS so I think it is the correct size but maybe those little "wings" at the back just flare out too much for me. I'm afraid to try a new saddle for a big ride so I might just suck it up but I think I need a long term fix. Always upgrading something......just got new shoes, new pedals and new shorts. How'd I end up in such an expensive hobby?!
    2010 Trek 2.1 WSD

Thanks for the help! Sounds like a trip to the LBS is in order.
    2010 Trek 2.1 WSD

I have not been able to find a saddle that does not cause chafing exactly where you are describing on rides of 50+ miles or back to back long rides, and believe, me, I've tried; however, others have, so definitely try to find one. What I do to prevent is a first layer of pure shea butter then a layer of chamois butter (or equivalent), reapply chamois butter at every stop. This works for rides less than 50 miles. The next step for longer rides is to apply a layer of liquid bandaid or nu-skin. You can apply it the night before. I dry it on a low dryer setting so I can do two layers. Then I put chamois butter on top of that and re-apply the chamois butter at every stop. That worked for a 82 mile ride last weekend. The next step, if that doesn't work or if it is a multi day ride and you want to be sure not to chafe, is to use some type of physical bandage such as a blister band aid or I have had success with other tough, water resistant band aids. Make sure skin is dry and oil-free before applying. These have stayed on through long hot rides, but take extras just in case.

Grits

2010 Trek 5.2 Madone WSD, SI Diva Gel Flow
    2002 Terry Classic, Terry Liberator

Quote Originally Posted by amb View Post
    Hi ladies. I've been having a bit of an issue with chafing lately. Do you find that chafing is from your shorts, your saddle or the combo of both? I seem to have the same chafing no matter what shorts I wear so I'm beginning to wonder if it's more my saddle shape than my shorts. The chafing I get is at the "crease" where top of the hamstring and bottom of cheek meet (where your panty line would be) on any ride over 30-35 miles, even if I put chamois butt'r there. I feel like all my shorts have the stitching that holds the chamois to the short right at that location and it rubs my saddle. I have this issue both with my PI and Sugoi shorts and I believe they both fit properly and I like them otherwise. I have a metric century next weekend and I'm little concerned. After riding 45 mi this morning and double application of butt'r, I have big, warm red spots on both sides. Suggestions? Thanks.
    In lieu of a bike fitting, Do you know anyone who could ride behind you and take some video. Do you know if one leg is shorter than the other. I agree measuring your sit bones and looking as a T-shaped saddle could help. As noted I chafe in the same area on a saddle that has to abrupt of a transition in that spot. But we also recently had a rider in who had some pelvic twist that added to the problem and she benefits from a shim in her shoe.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Are your shorts really snug? I mean like tight? I think some women want shorts to be less fitting than they should be. On shorter rides, it probably doesn't matter so much, but on long rides it really does. They should really feel like a compression fit.

Quote Originally Posted by amb View Post
    I think I have this issue with some brands of shorts too... Novara brand being the worse. Terry had their stitching further down the leg, not right at the crease, and that helps tremendously, and my Gore brand capri length tights are the same. I was really disappointed in the Shebeest tights I just ordered, they also put their stitching RIGHT AT THE CREASE of the leg, which unfortunately makes them very uncomfortable on longer rides. No amount of chamois cream can overcome that stitching being right there.
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

I survived! I moved my seat back about 1/4" and tried Grits suggestion of shea butter/chamois butt'r combo. That combined with wearing my least chafing shorts (PI) and re-applying the CB at every aid station and I have NO red marks/soreness. It felt a little warm while riding on occasion but over all leaps and bounds better than my ride last weekend and no lasting issues once I got home and showered. Thank you all for your input, especially the shea butter suggestion Grits. It was an awesome ride. A few of the roads were a little busy for my liking and the route could have used a little more signage (hello wrong turn) but it was a solid 10 deg less than last year (86 vs 96!) so my Dad, my sister and I had a great time. Happy riding ladies!
    2010 Trek 2.1 WSD

Also, have you had a bike fit lately? A combo of shorts, saddle and fit solved my chafing problems. Turns out my legs are really different lengths. Shims under one of my cleats as well as a new crank arm on one side helped immensely. Also, a new saddle as well. I also used shea butter for chafing which, for me, works so much better than chamois butter.

Thread hijack...
    Does anyone know of a flat, non-cut-out, T-shaped saddle that isn't a Brooks? I'm having a similar problem, but my three attempts with leather saddles were not successful. They never got comfortable and the last time I got numb everywhere that the saddle contacted and stayed that way for two weeks afterwards.
    My all time favorite saddle was a Vetta Triathlon ca. 1990 or thereabouts. Flat, 155mm width at the back, not overly padded, but with a thin flexible shell. Naturally, they stopped making it shortly after and then got out of the saddle business altogether. I recently tried a Fizik Arione Donna because it looked a bit like the Vetta. It solved the pressure problem up front but chaffed terribly under the back of my leg, in the same place described by the O.P. of this thread.
    Queen of the sea beasts

I've got a Bontrager. Not sure which model it is, but it was pricey. I get chafing at the front of that scooped out bit in the middle.
    The Arione fixed that problem, but then caused another (the chafing in the crease of the butt cheek.)
    I've never gotten on with cutout saddles, it seems that there's more pain from the edges of the cutout than there ever was from pressure.
    Queen of the sea beasts

Does it have to be 155 mm, or could you ride a narrower saddle? The narrower you get, the more T-shaped options you have.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I think it does have to be at least 155, any time I've tried a narrower saddle I've felt as if my sit bones were falling sideways off the saddle at the back.
    By flat, I meant not dipped in at the center (the SMP saddle is an example of that). The channel in the Arione isn't very deep, it's just about right, and the saddle is quite flat.
    Unfortunately, no shop here sells Selle San Marco. I'd like to be able to send it back if it doesn't work, and that's expensive when buying online.
    Queen of the sea beasts

Okay, I've found a Canadian online retailer and sent off for a Glamour Aspide. If I have to send it back I'll only be out the cost of postage, not postage plus customs and import duties. Sure hope this one works. I measured my sit bones one more time using the flour bag method and again came up with 135mm, so the 156mm width of the Aspide is right.
    Queen of the sea beasts