Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

KC looks fun How big is that park? At some point this summer, I would like to ride in Forest Park in STL but we'll see if anyone dares come with me. I'm not gonna do it alone.

I am getting all prepared for my Canadian bike adventure. Beginning Sunday, I am driving through Canada. Stopping in Ottawa to do some work and ride my bike. I mapped out a "safe" route according to the Ottawa bike map to get me to a shop in Gatineau. It's right off the path that runs along the river and will allow me to be able to say "I rode my bike to Quebec and bought xyz". I'd love to get a cool jersey while up there. It's no big achievement with me being behind the Rideau Centre for my time there but it will SOUND important. Small victories.
    ***proud Hoosier, statistics nerd, and mom to a headstrong toddler***
    ****one car family and loving it!****

Owned by:
    Le Monstre Vert - 2013 Surly Cross-check
    Chessie, Scottish Terrier
    Bonzai, Catahoula Leopard Dog

Last week we went to an event at the seaside. I both rode a bike and ran. After that we had a great time at the beach and the hotel. Here are some pictures
    colorisnt, I've been to Ottawa 5 years ago. I lived in the capital and I studied in Gatineau. I wish I could visit Canada again in summer (I was in January-May). Have a nice trip!
    Last edited by Anelia; 06-18-2013 at 07:51 PM.

This is my second favorite spot, that's a killer trout stream. Sadly it's privately owned so you can't fish it at all, but there are a few places you can stop and see them hanging out around the bridges. So neat!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	021.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	16392

Anelia,

I've been looking forward to it since I decided to drive. It seems awesome! Last time I was there, I noticed all the cyclists- brave ones because it was November!

Those beach and stream pictures look beautiful
    ***proud Hoosier, statistics nerd, and mom to a headstrong toddler***
    ****one car family and loving it!****

Owned by:
    Le Monstre Vert - 2013 Surly Cross-check
    Chessie, Scottish Terrier
    Bonzai, Catahoula Leopard Dog

Wow, those are beautiful! I love the beach : )

Quote Originally Posted by colorisnt View Post
    KC looks fun How big is that park? At some point this summer, I would like to ride in Forest Park in STL but we'll see if anyone dares come with me. I'm not gonna do it alone.
    The park with the art is Leawood City Park and according to the website is 66 acres (http://www.leawood.org/parks/citypark.aspxa), but riding the trails through there was just a small bit of our ride, which started and ended on roads and in the middle included a long trail section through several parks. We've been really pleased with all the paved bike trails here, some many miles in length.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Katy Trail ride!

Yesterday we rode part of the Katy Trail, from Sedalia, MO to Windsor, MO and back. About 43 miles round trip as we did a little extra riding around Windsor. It was our first time on the Katy, and we had a blast. If you'd like to see a slide show of our photos, I've put them up on Photobucket here:

Katy Trail Slideshow

We can't wait to go back and do more!
    Emily

Looks like a fun day trip! There's so much to explore out there - all the history in the towns, the trail history, nature, scenery - A friend from work rode part of the Katy several months ago. She started at Sedalia and went east, I think. They stayed at B&B's and spent a lot of time exploring the towns. I've never been, but it sounds awesome.

So how was the trail for riding? We seldom ride anything but pavement, but I've heard the Katy is pretty nice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0167.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	16400

Sheep Creek Geological Area loop road. Flaming Gorge Reservior area near Manila, Utah.
    A 22 mile ride with a big climb, and a big descent!
    Specialized Ruby
    Gunnar Sport
    Salsa Vaya Ti
    Novara Randonee x2
    Motobecane Fantom CXX (Surly Crosscheck)
    Jamis Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Deborajen View Post
    Looks like a fun day trip! There's so much to explore out there - all the history in the towns, the trail history, nature, scenery - A friend from work rode part of the Katy several months ago. She started at Sedalia and went east, I think. They stayed at B&B's and spent a lot of time exploring the towns. I've never been, but it sounds awesome.

So how was the trail for riding? We seldom ride anything but pavement, but I've heard the Katy is pretty nice.
    We are mostly pavement riders too, but we rode our mountain bikes, so it was fine and quite comfy to ride on. Very finely packed limestone. Saw at least a couple of people riding what looked like road bikes -- probably more of the cyclocross variety with slightly wider tires. Would not want to ride a 23c-25c tire on it. We saw a couple of recumbents but mostly mountain bikes. It was a very quiet day on the trail, being mid-week. We probably only saw about 10 other cyclists in our five miles total on the trail (including stops).

We're hoping to ride the entire trail eventually -- probably in the fall, though. The hottest part of summer is upon us, and there are plenty of areas with limited or no shade. We will probably plan on a credit card tour and stay in hotels/b&bs. We did pass one guy riding a full-loaded mountain bike (tent, etc) and saw a couple of other loaded bikes.
    Emily

DH and I did an end to end tour of the Katy in September of 2011. Some sections are better than others, as are the towns along the way. I liked Rocheport and Hermann. Clinton, Sedalia and Augusta were pretty meh to, well, god awful. If I had to do it over again....I wouldn't. I hate to say that because I know a lot of people who really love the Katy. We were decidedly underwelmed. Now, if I just rode a section here and a section there, I'd probably like it, but a weeklong trip was way too much for us.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    DH and I did an end to end tour of the Katy in September of 2011. Some sections are better than others, as are the towns along the way. I liked Rocheport and Hermann. Clinton, Sedalia and Augusta were pretty meh to, well, god awful. If I had to do it over again....I wouldn't. I hate to say that because I know a lot of people who really love the Katy. We were decidedly underwelmed. Now, if I just rode a section here and a section there, I'd probably like it, but a weeklong trip was way too much for us.
    Wow, that's interesting, indy. I have been reading a blog/report (mostly photos, some text) of a couple who did the entire thing in six days and absolutely loved it -- so much that they went back and did it again. I'm curious what you didn't like about it. I need to be prepared since we're currently thinking about doing the entire thing.

Here's the couple's report I mentioned in case you'd like to compare to your experience:
    http://www.loveofbikes.com/featured/katy-trail/

I have only read their 2010 report so far; have not read the 2011 one.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer!
    Emily

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Wow, that's interesting, indy. I have been reading a blog/report (mostly photos, some text) of a couple who did the entire thing in six days and absolutely loved it -- so much that they went back and did it again. I'm curious what you didn't like about it. I need to be prepared since we're currently thinking about doing the entire thing.

Here's the couple's report I mentioned in case you'd like to compare to your experience:
    http://www.loveofbikes.com/featured/katy-trail/

I have only read their 2010 report so far; have not read the 2011 one.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer!
    That's funny! That's the very same blog that made me want to ride the Katy Trail. They make a compelling case for it. We even used the same tour company to arrange all the details and transport our bags from town to town.

I don't want to dissaude you from doing it necessarily. Different strokes for different folks, right? We may have just been unlucky. The week we did it was unseasonably chilly for one, and we had one full day of rain (our first), which didn't get us off on the right foot. It was rainy the day we arrived in Clinton, too. Our hotel was next to nothing but a Walmart, so that didn't help either. We made the mistake of starting on a Sunday and that really impacted our dining experience in several towns. We stayed in Sedalia on a Sunday and very little was open. We ended up eating at some greasy hamburger place. Rocheport was our next stop. Rochport itself is lovely and our B&B was one of the nicest places we've ever stayed. But guess what? Monday is the day that every restaurant in town is closed, as are the antique shops. Again, we ate at some greasy spoon that stopped serving at 5--far earlier than we wanted to eat. No one bothered to tell us that the B&B could have us made a nice dinner--with adequate notice. The ride out of Sedalia is arguably the prettiest stretch, and we had lovely weather for it, which was nice. At Jefferson City, we got yelled at by the B&B owner for arriving a bit early. And when I say yelled, I mean truly chewed out. I felt bad for being early, but quite honestly, I lost track as to which place had a check-in time of 4 versus 3, but I think he could have handled it more politely. At least we had a decent dinner in Jefferson City. Our next stop was Hermann and that was a nice stop, too. Then we hit Augusta, which was about the most god awful place we've ever stayed. The B&B was fine, but the town was just awful. In looking for someplace to eat (and there weren't many choices), I read a number of reviews that indicated that the locals are extremely hostile to cyclists. We ended up at a brewery that stops serving food at 5--yet another early dinner. The ride out of Augusta is very pretty, but then you hit the outskirts of St. Charles that is essentially a smelly industrial area. St. Charles was nice though.

Beyond the towns, the trail is pretty monotonous. You see the same canopy of trees, the same aging bridges over creeks, the same lazy river over and over again. Are there pretty stretches? For sure, but not enough to fill six days of riding. There's also a hostile vibe in some areas with the adjacent landowners. Lots of No trespassing, Beware of Dog, Keep Out types signs--on properties I would otherwise have NO desire to enter onto. Rundown, ramshackle, boarded up, junk in the yard; you get the drift. Add that to the economic depression that was plain to see in many of the towns, and it just made for a less than positive experience.

My husband and I have travelled to some truly lovely places in the US, and while we don't need to have our socks blown off on every trip, this just didn't cut it for us. We aren't posh, impossible-to-please people either, but a lot of what we saw was just depressingly rundown. Did we have fun at times? Sure, but I can easily think of any number of places I would have rather spent a week of my life.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Thanks so much for the feedback, Indy. Much appreciated. I totally get the Sunday/Monday thing after we did a day trip to Weston, MO recently on a Monday to find pretty much the entire town closed on Mondays. Only three restaurants (two of which were bars) open for lunch in the entire town and all the shops closed. I guess they're busy on weekends with tourists so close up on Mondays. We'd probably try to start our tour on a Tuesday, with that in mind.

Could you please PM me (if you don't want to post it here) with the name of the B&B where you were chewed out? That's just ridiculous! We've stayed at quite a few B&Bs when we've been bike touring, and all have been incredibly accommodating. Definitely want to avoid that one.

I've sent your post on to my DH just so he is aware of some of the potential downsides. I think poor weather makes everything look a bit worse in general, including one's outlook (certainly does for me anyway), so we will try to plan for a time of typically good weather...however, I know Mother Nature cannot be predicted with anything approaching 100% accuracy!

I'm sorry your tour wasn't a more pleasant experience overall, but it sounds like there were some very nice moments.

Thanks again for the info!
    Emily

This past two days of riding on a trip I had planned for the previous weekend. Los Olivos to Santa Maria and back the next day. Via Foxen Canyon Rd, Tepusquet Canyon Rd for the climb, State Route 166 ..........and a couple of side roads when I needed to calm down from riding on 166

first day