Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Trekking Bars

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    6,449

    Trekking Bars

    To disable ads, please log-in.

    Anyone have them? How do they compare to drop bars in comfort, handling, and variety of positions?

    Just thinking...
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

    Battswebb

    Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

    Surly Krampus!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Boise Idaho
    Posts
    1,192
    don't have them but know several people who do but most are taller males. I will talk to the Hermit and have him install a pair on the LHT that fits me and take it for a spin Seems like the variety of positions would be nice for long rides but I wonder if it would feel like trying to drive a tank
    Sky King
    ____________________
    Gilles Berthoud "Bernard"
    Surly ECR "Eazi"
    Empowering the Bicycle Traveler
    biketouringnews.com

  3. #3
    Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    1,677
    I put them on an old-school MTB that I converted to a sort of all-purpose bike...it's easy to switch from flat bars to trekking bars (brake levers and shifters are compatible) and I wanted the extra hand positions. So far I am liking them. I find that they have more usable positions than drops and the cruising position on the outsides is very comfortable. In traffic, one can have quick access to the brakes and shifters on the inside part nearest the rider. I don't tend to use the farther-away inside position that much as it is a bit of a reach, but it is good for the occasional stretch.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    6,449
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
    don't have them but know several people who do but most are taller males. I will talk to the Hermit and have him install a pair on the LHT that fits me and take it for a spin Seems like the variety of positions would be nice for long rides but I wonder if it would feel like trying to drive a tank
    You are awsome! (Can't believe I actually used that word!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
    I put them on an old-school MTB that I converted to a sort of all-purpose bike...it's easy to switch from flat bars to trekking bars (brake levers and shifters are compatible) and I wanted the extra hand positions. So far I am liking them. I find that they have more usable positions than drops and the cruising position on the outsides is very comfortable. In traffic, one can have quick access to the brakes and shifters on the inside part nearest the rider. I don't tend to use the farther-away inside position that much as it is a bit of a reach, but it is good for the occasional stretch.
    This is exactly the kind of bike I'm envisioning. To be specific, the Surly Troll (Sky King is such an enabler!). Not going to get one this year. But, I'm picking up my CAADX on Saturday, and it still leaves me needing a steel-framed bike with disc brakes. Could be a cool alternative to a Tri-cross. (CX with steel framed do-anything). I think I read that people need shorter stems with Trekking bars. But since I was thinking of putting it on a mb, which run larger due to flat bars being closer, then maybe I'd need to get a smaller bike than I would otherwise? Closer in effective top tube to my road bike? (And maybe I could swing one of those purple framesets by the end of the year to take advantage of that yummy color, but build later).

    In a way, I'd prefer to put drop bars on a Troll, but I like to allow my dogs to trot next to me while riding my flat-bar hybrid, and I don't think that would be a good idea with drops. Even in a more upright position.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 06-06-2013 at 10:40 AM.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

    Battswebb

    Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

    Surly Krampus!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    2,051
    I got a trekking bar because I was having problems with my arms going numb on long rides. But I only had a straight bar before that. I've never tried anything else. Being able to use multiple positions is nice but the biggest benefit to me is how I can angle it up a bit so that I have a more upright posture.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    6,449
    Quote Originally Posted by Melalvai View Post
    I got a trekking bar because I was having problems with my arms going numb on long rides. But I only had a straight bar before that. I've never tried anything else. Being able to use multiple positions is nice but the biggest benefit to me is how I can angle it up a bit so that I have a more upright posture.
    Good to know!
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

    Battswebb

    Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

    Surly Krampus!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Boise Idaho
    Posts
    1,192
    So the Bike Hermit sold the trekking bars.... Now I have to wait for the next shipment to experiment
    Sky King
    ____________________
    Gilles Berthoud "Bernard"
    Surly ECR "Eazi"
    Empowering the Bicycle Traveler
    biketouringnews.com

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    6,449
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
    So the Bike Hermit sold the trekking bars.... Now I have to wait for the next shipment to experiment
    Take your time. Much appreciated.

    Guess what? I test-rode an Ogre today; I think it could work! Loved the 700c size wheels. That was one thing about the MB I just sold. I think 26 inch wheels are a little small for my height/leg length. Just felt kind of 'off.'

    But that green! Ick!!!! Why do they call it Army Green? It's clearly Ogre Snot!!!

    I guess there is always black. Bah humbug. I've enough black bikes.

    The Ogre felt like a road bike, though. And that is what is comfy for me. Bet it would be cool with trekking bars. I rode the 16. Seemed like a good fit.

    Any idea whether it would be possible to put brifters with the Deore group that comes on the Ogre? Just in case I want drop bars someday?
    Last edited by Muirenn; 06-08-2013 at 04:46 PM.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

    Battswebb

    Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

    Surly Krampus!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Boise Idaho
    Posts
    1,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Take your time. Much appreciated.

    Guess what? I test-rode an Ogre today; I think it could work! Loved the 700c size wheels. That was one thing about the MB I just sold. I think 26 inch wheels are a little small for my height/leg length. Just felt kind of 'off.'

    But that green! Ick!!!! Why do they call it Army Green? It's clearly Ogre Snot!!!

    I guess there is always black. Bah humbug. I've enough black bikes.

    The Ogre felt like a road bike, though. And that is what is comfy for me. Bet it would be cool with trekking bars. I rode the 16. Seemed like a good fit.

    Any idea whether it would be possible to put brifters with the Deore group that comes on the Ogre? Just in case I want drop bars someday?
    Ogre Snot!!! love it. If you hold out until January, maybe they will give us a new color. One of our cycling friends is on the way over on his Ogre, He is tagging along with the Hermit and another buddy on the first day of their six day bike tour. He put the Surly Open Bar on his Ogre but he
    is also wondering about the trekking bar. He came with us on the 110 mile dirt/gravel trip and loved riding his Ogre. He has Schwalbe Mondial's 40mm's but it going to change to the 2" once they are available.
    Sky King
    ____________________
    Gilles Berthoud "Bernard"
    Surly ECR "Eazi"
    Empowering the Bicycle Traveler
    biketouringnews.com

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    6,449
    I'm hoping they change the color to something decent. As I just got a new bike 2 days ago, it will definitely be after January. Seems like a good addition, and not be redundant to my current stable. Then I can get rid of my Trek Hybrid, and I'll end up with a carbon roadie, an aluminum cx, and a steel do everything bike with 700c wheels. Sounds perfect.

    I might even try cross tires, but love the set that were on the one I tested. I could buy a trailer and haul stuff on that bike, or zip along pretty quick if that is what I wanted.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

    Battswebb

    Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

    Surly Krampus!

  11. #11
    Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    1,677
    Or, if you do end up getting the icky green color and are the type to name your bikes, you could call it "Shrek"!!
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    6,449
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
    Or, if you do end up getting the icky green color and are the type to name your bikes, you could call it "Shrek"!!
    NOw, that's funny!

    But, I don't name my bikes, and I've never seen Shrek.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

    Battswebb

    Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

    Surly Krampus!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Posts
    10,952
    Quote Originally Posted by Melalvai View Post
    I got a trekking bar because I was having problems with my arms going numb on long rides. But I only had a straight bar before that. I've never tried anything else. Being able to use multiple positions is nice but the biggest benefit to me is how I can angle it up a bit so that I have a more upright posture.
    I don't have trekking bars, but I DO have a 2-inch riser bar with Ergon grips on my Gunner. I have a very upright position and that bar works run. It is a 2-inch Easton Monkey riser bar.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    4,713
    Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    I'm hoping they change the color to something decent. As I just got a new bike 2 days ago, it will definitely be after January. Seems like a good addition, and not be redundant to my current stable. Then I can get rid of my Trek Hybrid, and I'll end up with a carbon roadie, an aluminum cx, and a steel do everything bike with 700c wheels. Sounds perfect.

    I might even try cross tires, but love the set that were on the one I tested. I could buy a trailer and haul stuff on that bike, or zip along pretty quick if that is what I wanted.
    You need a Ti something-or-other.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

    2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

    2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva


    Saving for the next one...

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    6,449
    Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    You need a Ti something-or-other.
    OH!

    Actually, I'd love a 953 steel fixie/flipflop hub road bike.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

    Battswebb

    Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

    Surly Krampus!

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •