Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Tour de France 2007 - London Prologue

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm starting a new thread on the 2007 Tour, since I screwed up on the last one! Here's the old thread:http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=4990

Anyway, this just in from VeloNews.com:

London landmarks for 2007 prologue
    The 2007 Tour de France will start by weaving its way past London's best known landmarks, then travel to the historic city of Canterbury, The Associated Press reported Thursday.

Organizers announced Thursday that after the opening ceremony July 6, the prologue will be held the next day and will feature commemorations to mark the second anniversary of the London bombings, where four suicide bombers killed 52 commuters on three subway trains and a bus.

"The 2007 tour will be a modern tale of two cities ... and plans to cement the friendship between our two great capitals," said Christian Prudhomme, the tour's director of cycling.

This will be the first time the Tour has started in England, and the third time it has passed through the country. The Tour had a stage in Plymouth in 1974. In 1994, the race had stages between Dover and Brighton and to and from Portsmouth.

In 1994, the British stages provided the greatest number of spectators than any other stage on that year's tour, Prudhomme said.

Previously, the Tour's "Grand Depart" has been launched from numerous cities and towns outside France, including Liege, Belgium, (2004), Luxembourg (2002, 1989), Dublin, Ireland, (1998), Hertogenbosch, Netherlands, (1996) and Berlin (1987).

London bid unsuccessfully to host the opening of this year's Tour, which will start in Strasbourg in eastern France.

The 5-mile prologue will start at Trafalgar Square and pass the Houses of Parliament and Westminster Abbey. It will then go through Hyde Park before finishing in front of Buckingham Palace on The Mall.

The 130-mile first stage will include three bonus sprints and three king of the mountain hills. Starting on The Mall, it will travel past St. Paul's Cathedral and the Tower of London, go across Tower Bridge, through Greenwich then south through the county of Kent to Canterbury.

London Mayor Ken Livingstone said the event would attract 2 million spectators and raise $122 million. He added that discussions had begun on the best way to remember the July 7, 2005, bombings.

"Having the Grand Depart on July 7 will broadcast to the world that terrorism does not win, it does not change a city, it does not shake our faith," Livingstone said. "There will be no better way of celebrating the unity of humanity than this great sporting event in this city on that day."By The Associated Press
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Oh , wow!
    This is unbelieveable!
    I used to be a messenger in Central London 25 years ago and to see it all again as the Prologue of Le Tour......
    I am almost in tears already!

All you need is love...la-dee-da-dee-da...all you need is love!

I'm pretty jazzed too....I'm looking into a visit to the English side of the family to coincide (Hampshire).
    ~BikeMomma
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Dangit!

We'll land in Germany about two days after the Tour goes through, and will be down in the south a week after that!

This is as bad as missing the Tour of Germany the year it went through not only the town we always stay in but past the house where we stay. I could have sat in the driveway in a lawn chair and waved and hoped for water bottles!

I need to plan our vacations better.

--SJ