Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

"Damsel in Distress"

To disable ads, please log-in.

So... I go to ride/run with my tri group this morning.

We complete our ride... and start our run. I am spent at this point. My legs were in so much pain... walking was painful, more so than running.

So, I am stumbling along... and BAM I go down! I twist my ankle because I have stepped on the shoulder of the road, with a serous slotp to it.

It hurt. Badly! Two ladies stop to help me. I am feeling horrible because they stopped for me and tell them they can go on because I would hate to ruin their run. They are kind though and say, "It's all right, we need the rest!".

I finally get up and I can put weight on it to walk. Now, I can walk around the way we came... or I can cut through this area with a tiny stream (too far across to leap over it, and too deep to walk through it my $100 running shoes!).

Mind you, on the other side of the stream is the road next to where we started, AND FIREMEN practicing some drills!

So, they come to the stream to make sure I am OK... and offer to have their EMT on site take a look at my ankle. I am feeling like an idiot... and it feels OK... so I tell them not to worry about looking at it.

I do say I need across the stream... but I don't want to get my good shoes wet. One of them kindly steps up and says he will carry me across.

After my piggy back ride to the other side... his friends joke, "So, are you married"... I replied, "No"... and my saviour says, "I am!". HA!

I thanked them profusely for saving a Damsel and Distress and went back to my car so I could go home.

Now... my ankle is sore... and I am HOPING and PRAYING that I can run on it in 4 days!

Firemen? Firemen, and you went home?!?

snap "loves a man in uniform" dragen

ps - you do know there is a special farm where firemen, paramedics and motorcycle policemen are raised......

OMG, that's funny!

Hope your ankle is ok. I would _seriously_ RICE it. I was talking to my sister, who is a rehab doc, about BF's persistant ankle swelling from an injury in July. She said that the _veins_ could get injured, like stretched, and never be right again. So just take care of it and don't be too fast to get back on it, because you don't want to end up with a permanent injury.

Nanci
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen
    Firemen? Firemen, and you went home?!?

snap "loves a man in uniform" dragen

ps - you do know there is a special farm where firemen, paramedics and motorcycle policemen are raised......
    Seriously! Surely there would be enough of 'em for both Snap and me!

But also, and truly seriously, KSH, sorry to hear about your injury. A friend's mother had a similar mis-step/twisted ankle experience, and after three months of walking on it, had enough pain to go to the doc. She'd torn a tendon, and is now in a soft cast for months. Be gentle with it now, and you may avoid a much longer problem. That said...I know how hard it is to wait when you're training.

Best wishes,

Lise
    Last edited by Lise; 02-12-2006 at 09:56 AM.
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

There were a whole slew of them! Too bad you ladies weren't around to pick up the slack! HA!

Yea, my ankle is more swollen today than it was yesterday. I have a name of a Dr. that specializes in injuries such as this one. I will try to set up an appointment this upcoming week. Just to make sure everything is fine.

BUT... if he tells me I can't run... I'm going to tell him to give me something I can run in... because I will be running.