Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Bra, Reinvented

To disable ads, please log-in.

Anyone following this? Jockey Co. has supposedly reinvented the bra, with over 26 new patents. Their new system involves measuring the breast for volume and band size, eliminating a/b/c etc.

http://www.jockey.com/brastory
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

I call BS on the "26 new patents". There's one patent granted in the US relating to their new 'n improved bra sizing method, and I suspect the other 25 are either the same application granted in other countries, or pending applications published (not granted) in the US and elsewhere. Misleading PR drivel, meh.

- jobob, who used to work on patents for a living.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

I also saw this on the Today Show (must be a slow news day. Bra sizes and prancercize ). It seems like this "revolution" is only for Jockey brand, so who knows how it will fare.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

What I find most intriguing is that they offer 10 different cup sizes with lots of band sizes. It seems that the volume measurement system is really just a way to avoid having to try on a bunch of different bras to find the right cup size and shape.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

No size 26 or 28 bands. $20 for the sizing kit. There's a $20 off coupon if you buy a bra from them but what if you don't fit their sizing system? You'd think they would provide the sizing kit for free, at least for the 1st year.

I would love to know how "big" their cup sizes go (in equivalent sizes) before I buy into it. I'm a 34DD and have a hard time finding bras because I'm too small to shop at plus size stores but too big in the cup size to shop at most regular places. VS carries my size in only a few bras in store at any given time if I'm not, say, shopping on Michigan Ave. when I'm home. Jockey made the current sportsbras I have (which are now too big in the roundsize, boo on that) and I'd be interested trying them again but not if they won't carry my size. As of now, most Jockey stores don't carry a DD in anything other than bras in a box. And I doubt I would be willing to spend $60.00 on a bra that isn't pretty and has very wide straps since they limit the ability to wear it with pretty tops.
    ***proud Hoosier, statistics nerd, and mom to a headstrong toddler***
    ****one car family and loving it!****

Owned by:
    Le Monstre Vert - 2013 Surly Cross-check
    Chessie, Scottish Terrier
    Bonzai, Catahoula Leopard Dog

If they don't want to provide the kit for free to see if will even work, I don't see a point it in. Then of course the only bras I found that both fit and last a good while for me is Victoria's Secret. Although if there was a Fredricks of Hollywood somewhere where I'm at, I'd be willing to try one of their bras (but they don't have any stores in NC to begin with). (Actually Fredricks of Hollywood is the only place my one sister can get bras that fit her and last any length of time at all).

I read that Nordstrom is a good place to buy bras. If you don't have one nearby they offer free shipping and returns online. I know that ordering bras online is a PITA but it's the only option for some people, including me. Just be sure you know that some companies are in UK sizes and fit differently than US sizes. Also, be aware that VS measures differently so if one has been fitted by them bra sizes may change.
    Last edited by Kathi; 06-02-2013 at 07:36 PM.

Hmm. I thought with all the general dissatisfaction associated with bras, people might be a little more enthusiastic about re-thinking it. I guess not.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    Hmm. I thought with all the general dissatisfaction associated with bras, people might be a little more enthusiastic about re-thinking it. I guess not.
    My dissatisfaction with bras is due to the fact that very few companies make them in a size that fits me. Based on Jockey's chart of available sizes, I expect they will not make anything in the size that their fit kit says I need. So they're not addressing my problem, which is that they consider me an unprofitable outlier.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I'm not opposed to re-thinking it, but I'm not interested in paying to find out if they even make anything that fits me. Like NYBiker, I hold little hope that my size fits within their new range.

I'm actually intrigued and would like to try the new bra sizes out, but I have never paid $60 for a bra in my life and just can't justify that expense. I generally fit really well into Victoria's Secret 32C, and I buy on ebay so get great deals -- rarely pay more than $30 for a very nice, long-lived bra.

If I were having a real problem with sizing or comfort, I'd be willing to pay more, but I'm not. They'd have to give me the fit kit for free AND a $20 coupon to try the $60 bra first!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

VC's measuring system is so weird. To get your under band measurement you measure under your arms and across the top of your chest, near the top of your bra.. So I did that. I get 31", my real under band measurement is 25.5/26". Then you measure across your bust which is 33". So I plug the measurements into their calculator and I get the message "Please enter a measurement between 30" and 40". Well, isn't 31" between 30" and 40"? So I plug in 32" and get a bra size of 32A. That adds 6" to my band size. In reality, I'm a 26G but wear the sister size of 28FF, adding 2" to accommodate my bony ribcage and because 26" bands are impossible to find.

Ok, so what's so different in VC's bras that I can fit a 32A when my 32C Chantelle is too small in the cups and too large in the band? It gives me no support, rides up in the back and actually give me "back fat". Also, I can hook the 32C bra around my 33" hips! This is why I don't trust Jockey or any other American bra companies.

BTW, my sister size in a 32 band is a UK 32E, it's the same cup volume as UK 26G. I think in US sizing it's a 32DD.
    Last edited by Kathi; 06-04-2013 at 06:26 AM.

bra thoughts

I haven't worn a normal bra for donkeys years- I much prefer sports bras as I am not quite small enough nor do I feel comfortable to fit much oif anything else. Being one sided because of the mastectomy doesn't help. I do have one very small strapless bra with a cup for the prosthetic that I got to go with a dress I wore to my sons' weddings but those and my daughters wedding are the only time since I was about40 that I have worn anything resembling a bra. I buy my sports bras in multiples from academy sports or sports authority, have enough to rotate through on a daily basis and as such only have to bra shop every 18 months or so. I think the most I have ever paid for a sports bra was in the 20 dollar range but they mostly run between 10 and 15 dollars, so I guess I am very lucky or teribly plain jane and cheap.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi View Post
    I read that Nordstrom is a good place to buy bras. If you don't have one nearby they offer free shipping and returns online. I know that ordering bras online is a PITA but it's the only option for some people, including me. Just be sure you know that some companies are in UK sizes and fit differently than US sizes. Also, be aware that VS measures differently so if one has been fitted by them bra sizes may change.
    Nordstrom's is great. Fig Leaves is, too. I recommend going to a Nordstrom's or Dillard's to try on some larger sizes in some brands you like, buy a couple, and then try that out. If they work, go sales shopping on line. I don't think I routinely pay less than $40.00 for a bra but never more than $50-60.00 if I sale shop. Although, I like really fancy things. I am a bit of a clothes horse when it comes to bra and panty sets.
    ***proud Hoosier, statistics nerd, and mom to a headstrong toddler***
    ****one car family and loving it!****

Owned by:
    Le Monstre Vert - 2013 Surly Cross-check
    Chessie, Scottish Terrier
    Bonzai, Catahoula Leopard Dog