Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

We MAY get around to a running thread!

To disable ads, please log-in.

We can't go a month without a thread, can we?

Is it just me, or is everyone else kind of running, but not having much heart to talk about it? The magazines and race series and LRS's have been all running-life-must-go-on, but that's how they make their living, so they can't just mope and not talk about running ...

I've backed it down to about 25-30 mpw for the time being. Just did 8.5 this afternoon, an absolutely beautiful spring day. I'm starting to remember what those things are that go up one side and then down the other ...

Here's the wild thing - my Garmin had been starting to act kind of flaky, and although it's been okay since I did a hard reset, I went ahead and took advantage of the trade-in deal they're having to move up to a 910XT, the one with the barometric altimeter. And I haven't done too much research on what people are saying about the algorithm, but it's been consistently giving me elevation gains DOUBLE what my old watch used to for the same routes. I knew I lived in the hills...

I'm sure you've all seen that the BAA is guaranteeing entry to the 2014 Marathon to those of us who weren't able to finish. I feel like I've got unfinished business and I really want to cross that line next April. But at the same time, it just seems indecent that I should get the do-over that I would've wanted anyway, because of what happened.

Anyone else running?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Well, I actually ran yesterday and I mean, run, not walk. I did 3 miles and I felt strong. This will not be an on going thing, but once in awhile, I enjoy it. While I was running in the flat cluster home community that is off of my neighborhood, I yelled at lady riding with her helmet dangling from the handlebars. She had ridden with her kid to the bus stop, and I guess since the kid was no longer with her, she didn't feel the need to wear her helmet. I said something like, "Helmets on the handlebars don't help," and she laughed, a stupid little laugh. It's amazing how bold I have become as I get older.
    Oak, of course you should run next year. You need to. Really.
    Today they had a "finish the last mile" run and some people got their medals. I didn't pay a lot of attention, but I believe some charity/fundraising was involved.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    Oak, I think you should run it. It's a generous offer and it will be a good way for you to close the loop, so to speak.

I am running quite a lot. In fact next week will be my biggest week so far this year (probably close to 70 miles), then I start to back down until my next event on June 15. I had a rough start this season with a lingering hamstring injury (from last July, and I reinjured it 2x doing stupid things) but just this week I really noticed that something has clicked (for lack of a better expression). And this is on an "off" week (I did a 50k last weekend, it was a race but I was instructed to do it as a training run, which I did, mostly ), so I am quite pleased. After my last event(s) in April, it took me about 2 weeks to recover (a trail marathon and trail half-marathon on consecutive days), and I was really afraid I would feel that way again this week. Nope, I feel pretty damn good. That structured training works pretty well, I'd say! Whoda thunk it??!!

The event June 15 is the Bighorn 50m in Dayton, WY, and I am doing the Tahoe Rim 50m in July (it's east shore of Tahoe). Then I'm going to ride my bikes for a while (I am riding some but not a ton because I am running all the freaking time--which I love--and my favored bike is currently on its way to Wisconsin for repair and repainting).

Oak, I agree that you should run it. But there's still time to decide, right? The pros and cons might weigh out a little differently with a little time.

Yesterday my church did a sponsored run/ride fundraiser for our upcoming habitat build. I, foolishly, set out to do a du. I ran 10 miles, then followed it up with a 25 mile ride. It actually went pretty well, other than nearly running over my congressman at the end of the ride. My dog got an exceptionally short walk last night, but I feel fine today. And I'm feeling optimistic about finally breaking 2 hours in my next half marathon in October, after consistently hitting 9 min miles throughout the run.

I was a bit surprised by my two mile run yesterday. It wasn't all at once, there were a few exercises in between the two 1 mile runs, and the second mile I probably walked at least 1/3rd of it. It felt better than I expected however, and my knee was fine with it. We were running outside, and it felt better than running on the track inside. Is there more running in my future? I don't know, but we will see. I did note some soreness in my shins - upper/outside. That passed after a few hours after rising. I had hoped to ride today but events conspired against it from happening, and it was likely for the best.

I've NEVER run that much. Ever. Sad, I know

Good job, Catrin! You might end up a runner yet! I always find running outside easier, and away from a track easier; more to keep my mind occupied, probably.

No run today-- just wasn't feeling it this morning. Mowed the lawn very early then headed out on the bike, so I've been plenty active. But I've seen runners all over town today, seems like mainly shirtless young men on this warm holiday. What does it mean when you notice whether or not their running form is sound before how good they look?

Catrin, I don't think I could run a mile after all those squats! Good job for sure.

Good job too, Crankin. When a run feels good it *really* feels good, doesn't it?

Yellow, can I be you if I grow up?

Quote Originally Posted by skhill View Post
    What does it mean when you notice whether or not their running form is sound before how good they look?
    There's a difference? How good could they look if they don't look capable of running a deer down to feed our family?

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Catrin, I don't think I could run a mile after all those squats!...
    If it wasn't for our crazy workouts I doubt I could have done that either! As it was my quads were fine during/after the second run. The next day there was some shin soreness (and elsewhere) and I suspect the shin part was from the running.

In my GT training session this morning we started with a 400 meter jog around the track and it didn't s*ck! Not that long ago I felt like dying when we did that and I was by far the slowest. That was far from the case this morning, I was the fastest and still felt like I was only jogging - and tried to keep my stride shorter and my neck up. Wasn't really even breathing all that heavy at the end...perhaps I crossed a line Saturday without knowing it?

I've noticed a wholelot of men *riding* in sleeveless jerseys or bare chested, too. What's up with that? I can hear my son making his opinion known about men who wear sleeveless. These people are not tri-athletes, either. And no guy should be running shirtless, no matter how fit he is.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    And no guy should be running shirtless, no matter how fit he is.
    I don't know - I saw a pretty hot guy trail running yesterday while we were out hiking. He was booking it and just looked pretty - nice biceps, chest and six pack abs. I really didn't notice his running form...

Now from a health standpoint, I would not want that much of me uncovered for any length of time. I'm pretty fair skinned and years of life guarding have done a ton of damage already.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

I don't know why, but I find the shirtless look gross, no matter how good the body looks. Since I am not a particularly modest person, I really don't know why I feel like this.
    A few years ago, my friend and I were at the end of a ride and we were trying to beat out a severe thunderstorm. We were going down a small hill, almost back to her house, when an older guy, appeared out of nowhere, in the shoulder of the road, running. He was ah, kind of scary looking in demeanor and was wearing nothing but skimpy running shorts; no shoes, nothing. He had long wild greasy hair and he wouldn't move over so I could get by some debris on my bike. I guess the visual image of him stuck in my head.
    The next spring, this guy showed up on a group ride I was on and I could not get over it...

I can join the running thread again!!

I ran on Saturday with my husband. We went to a local park and did 2 miles on trail. I was a little worried about going that far on trail when I haven't been running that much (a few 2 mile road runs lately but that's it) but it was fine. We took it slow and finished feeling pretty good. What is really amazing is that I didn't have the foot pain I normally have after a run!! I'm sure the softer surfaces helped, but because of it, I'm super excited to run again tonight after work. Usually I run once and it's a week before I want to run again because of the pain it triggers. Running once a week is never going to get me back in shape, so I'm thrilled to have possibly found a way to run more regularly (ie. stay off the road!).
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Today was going to be a rest day, but a) the weather was perfect, low 50s with a little breeze and b) one of the cats woke me at 4:37 a.m. demanding breakfast. So I did a random run, not following any of my usual routes, but exploring. The area where I was would be a nice run, just not on trash pickup day; narrow streets full of parked cars and narrow sidewalks full of garbage/recycling/yard waste. Did a slow 6.5 miles, and thanked little Mica for waking me up so early.

Opposite of the good-looking shirtless guys of last week today-- I noticed a guy had a beautiful stride first, then noticed the scraggly grey hair and ratty tie die t-shirt. (not that I'm a fashion plate out there, but nothing has holes in it at least)

Last night was run two on the trails. We did a little over 2 miles this time (added another small loop to our previous run), and really enjoyed it. Today my foot is a little sore after I've been sitting for awhile, but bearable. I was thinking I'd go for a short run tonight but I don't think I need to overdo it so early in my attempts to get back into this. I'll save it for tomorrow.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

GLC, that's awesome! So cool to see you back running and enjoying it. Hope it just gets better as your foot gets stronger.

I did 9-1/2 today, another beautiful day after slacking off most of the weekend at the music festival (I did get a couple of four-mile out-and-backs on the bike path, though).

We probably need to start a June thread. Tomorrow is National Running Day ...

ETA - skhill, that guy has probably been running in the same shirt since 1974. Wonder how many times he's washed it. And yeah, hardly any of the men I saw running on the bike path had shirts on. It was hot, but not *that* hot.