Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Running question

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am doing the Memorial Day Murph, a Crossfit military charity fundraiser on Saturday. Note - for those who follow that link I am NOT doing it with a weight vest - although I know a few others competing will be (it is a simple friendly competition for time). I already know that I will be one of the last finishers because I am very bad at running...

This morning I hit the track at my gym and ran 1 mile to see what it felt like. I've never actually run that far off the treadmill - I know that is sad but there it is. I figure those metal frames with two wheels are better for covering distance

As I approached the half-mile mark I noted that one of my hands was going numb and tingly. Probably some nerve compression, so I started trying to swing my arms a bit more to see if that helped. Not really...but it didn't get worse. Is there anything else I can do to decrease that? I just don't want to start the meat of the workout with an arm that is already complaining from running. I don't care so much what it feels like at the end when I've run the finishing mile... If it becomes TOO uncomfortable then I will mix it up with some fitness walking, but I would like to run the entire distance if I can - slowly perhaps - but at least jogging speed.

Well, to me, running is just correcting my posture 180 times per minute regardless. It can be easier to focus on the pelvis and lumbar spine since the propulsion is mostly coming from the obliques. But obviously neck and shoulder carriage are super important, more so for those of us with problems there.

I'd start with letting someone watch you run, paying attention to your neck (are you sticking it out, letting your head hang forward, or throwing it back?), shoulders (relaxed or up by your ears?), and arm swing (relaxed, symmetrical, hands near the nipple line, elbows never passing in front of the spine, hands never crossing the sternum?). That might at least point out any big issues you're having.

I'll cue myself explicitly on all of the above. Then some smaller details. Making sure my hands are relaxed. I draw an imaginary line from roughly T5 (right between the shoulderblades) to the occiput and lift through that line - that helps straighten out the "computer neck" without pulling my shoulderblades back off my ribs excessively. Keeping the eyes up so that I can watch the road ahead without throwing my neck back.

Then lower body good form, making sure your foot strike is not in front of your center of gravity, leveling your pelvis after every step, keeping your cadence up, "needle in cotton" and all that, will reduce impact and compression.

HTH...
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Re: Running question

Thanks, this is very helpful! Hopefully I can get someone to watch me And see where my posture is off. I am sure it is since I do not normally run more than 400 meters.

If you have someone who can watch - have them video you. I couldn't believe how much my husband and I learned from watching a video of ourselves!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

I will try that GLC, if I remember to take my phone I've only one chance to run again before Saturday, I really should have been focusing on this longer than I have been but I've been thinking about the REST of the workout. While I will be scaling two of the three exercises to a version my shoulder will accept, it is going to be an intense Saturday morning. Then head out Sunday morning for my traditional Memorial Day bike ride

Perhaps when all of this is over I will be a bit more comfortable with running?

Re: Running question

That event seems to have me more comfortable with running in that it doesn't su*k quite as much! This morning we finished our group training with TEN 100-meter sprints! I am SORE, but it was cool that I could actually do it :thumbup:

I am volunteering this weekend at a mtb event and am considering trying a little trail running mixed with walking... we will see. I am wondering on the wisdom of running on an uneven surface with my ankle inflexibility issue.
    Last edited by Catrin; 06-03-2013 at 07:25 AM.