Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bar or bike mounted mirrors

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm looking for recommendations for bike mounted mirrors for my road bike, whether they be bar end mirrors or whatever. Let me know what works for you.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    I'm looking for recommendations for bike mounted mirrors for my road bike, whether they be bar end mirrors or whatever. Let me know what works for you.
    Love my Mirrycle mirror, here is the mountain bike version (for flat bars). They have road bar versions as well. I find this mirror quite stable, it never shimmies or vibrates, it is just there when I need it. I seem to be using it less and less but I don't see my ever removing it. There was a time when I couldn't look back without making myself unstable but thankfully those days are gone

There has been a lot of discussion here between the merits of different mirrors, as well as the choice between bike and helmet mounted. If I had time I would find a couple of them but I don't.

Re: Bar or bike mounted mirrors

I looked at them and they say they are only good for 2009 or older so that's a no go.

I've read all the pros and cons on the forum regarding glass, helmet, bike mounted. I just know for me at this time bike mounted is the way to go. So I'm hoping to find recommendations for a good bike mounted one.
    2013 Electra Verse

I use this on a few bikes. It's easy to adjust because I need different angles depending on where I am. I love it, and I've gotten used to it. I like being able to see if my sweetie is still on my wheel, knowing what's coming up behind me, (although I'll still look back before taking a lane.) It's just extra insurance - I look at it first, if it looks clear, then I turn and look back. I know it's frowned on on race bikes, but I don't care.

http://www.rei.com/product/800064/cy...ie-bike-mirror
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

I'm not too concerned about what others think either. We ride roads where I can't hear the cars coming from behind and we also ride feeder roads, so just knowing there's something coming up so I don't have to look over my shoulder every 5 seconds will be great.
    2013 Electra Verse

It's a pity Mirrycle haven't been able to come up with a post-2009 option suitable for drops... Luckily I've an older road bike and on that and my flat-bar hybrid the Mirrycles are just the best. I notice though that a lot of good comments are made about the 'Italian Road Bike Mirror' for drops, so maybe that's the way to go for a more recent bike? I tried a helmet mirror and couldn't get on with it all - even trying to set it up was a real pain, focussing on it quickly was a problem... and then I broke it so that was the end of that!

I totally agree with you that it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks... in fact I'm delighted if drivers, pedestrians or other cyclists get the idea that they need to give me a wide berth!! And Stylistas on bikes? Frankly I can't see how cycling clothes and looking gorgeous really go together in the first place - Practical they are, 'Cool' they ain't, but that's just my opinion

Hearing what's coming up from behind, especially when the wind's blowing in my ears, is impossible. Knowing in advance what sort of vehicle (wide caravan, tractor, massive lorry etc) is coming is also valuable in case avoiding action is needed. My cycling has been transformed by my mirror and I'm now much more confident, using the look over the shoulder just as final check, like I do when driving, rather than having to rely on it totally. Also, occasional neck stiffness isn't such a problem since I don't have to twist so far round.

Good luck with your hunt for the right thing and hope you'll feel as happy with the choice as I do with mine!
    Jul 2013 - Genesis Croix de Fer
    Nov 2012 - 5yr old Specialized Ruby Comp
    2007 - Giant Cypress hybrid

We stock this one by Ultralite - Made in Germany, it is light, all plastic but very sturdy. Watched one of our friends do a full impact crash right onto his mirror and it just hinged as he landed, repositioned and he was off and running. Have had a few people say they wanted the arm to be longer but I don't know where they were attempting to mount on their handlebar.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
    We stock this one by Ultralite - Made in Germany, it is light, all plastic but very sturdy. Watched one of our friends do a full impact crash right onto his mirror and it just hinged as he landed, repositioned and he was off and running. Have had a few people say they wanted the arm to be longer but I don't know where they were attempting to mount on their handlebar.
    I have one of these on each of my road bikes. I like them very much.

Thanks Sky and Tulip. Do you mount them in the drops?
    2013 Electra Verse

yes, I did have one woman send one back because she felt it got in the way of her hand position but that was a first for me.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

I ended up with the Cycle Aware "Roadie" mainly because that's what my LBS carries. So far I'm pleased with it. It does what I wanted, which was give me an idea when there was a car or other object coming up on me. It is easy to knock out of alignment with my knee, but now that I know where the sweet spot is it's easy enough to nudge it right back.
    2013 Electra Verse

Thanks for pointing out the Mirrycle roadie mirror, Catrin! Since my roadie is older and has STI levers, I am going to order that one. I've been using the Take a Look glasses-mounted mirror happily for many years, but since I've had to start wearing progressive lenses, I am not liking it so much with my glasses. They're just too lightweight and delicate, and as a result, the mirror is less stable and more jittery than it was. A lot of the roads here are kind of bumpy/patched as well, and I think that causes the mirror to move around a bit more.

I'm trying to figure out what type of mirror might work with the Jamis, though. With the Ergon grips/bar ends, there's not the hole that's on the end of normal flat bars. Anyone using a mirror on a mountain bike with Ergon grips successfully, and if so, what kind? I may have to deal with the Take-a-Look when I ride that bike...just not sure.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Those aren't the usual Ergon grips in that they have integrated bar ends. They certainly gave me confidence when trees & bushes were too close to my bars & hands! If you decide to keep them you will likely have to use helmet mounted.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Those aren't the usual Ergon grips in that they have integrated bar ends. They certainly gave me confidence when trees & bushes were too close to my bars & hands! If you decide to keep them you will likely have to use helmet mounted.
    My previous two MTBs did not have bar ends, but I can see where they would come in handy! I do want to try riding with them, and I have my Take-a-look mirror, which will work, just curious about other options.

Hopefully my LT1 (light trail) tires will come in soon and I'll actually be able to try out the bike on the (paved) trails around here. Don't know when I'll get to anything unpaved, but I'd just as soon get comfortable on the bike on pavement first anyway.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I am wondering about a mirror for my flat-bar Jamis Coda with bar ends and ergon grips. I cannot use a helmet- or glasses-mounted mirror. Not sure what to do about a mirror. The bar ends and grips help my wrists, so they need to stay. I miss a mirror on my Jamis. I really rely on it on my road bike.