Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Does anyone have a SPOT device?

Hi all,

I've been given a SPOT (Satellite GPS messenger) to use when on fieldwork with my job, as we're often out of cell phone range. I haven't quite figured out how to use it though, despite my best efforts at deciphering the enthusiastic manual.

So as usual I turn to the friendly and knowledgeable ladies here. Anyone here have and use one actively, for sending ok messages or tracking their progress? I seem to recall someone mentioning it as a potentially useful safety device when cycling out of cell phone range.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

No help - I have one and have never turned it on...
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

DH has one, I don't know how it works, but if no one else here comes up with anything I can pass your questions on to him ...
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Well, I'll just ask then I just want to know the correct "sequence of lights" to expect for the following - switch it on, presumably wait for the self-check, send an ok message, and confirm that it has been sent.

I tried doing this last time I was out, but the light sequence was confusing so I tried again. I think I then cancelled the original message... :-P My boss didn't get it anyway, and was very relieved to hear from me by text message some 16 hours later.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

Well ... he says there are a lot of different models now. His is the first generation, the most basic one that just sends either okay or "help" messages. So, what he says might not apply to yours.

When it's generating a breadcrumb trail, both lights are strobing. When he sends an okay message, it blinks fast while it's sending and then goes solid to confirm it's been sent, then returns to strobing.

He suggests setting it up to your own email account to test it so you can see what it's doing. And that the breadcrumb trail is probably the most valuable, anyway.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 05-20-2013 at 04:11 PM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Okdoke. Thanks to Oak and hubby!