Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lunch on Ride

Lunch on Ride

To disable ads, please log-in.

Going to do (what will be for me) a longer ride on Sunday and Im thinking I might need to take something a bit more substantial than just gel or bars.
    The ride is a little hilly so Im thinking I could be out there for a while.

Im thinking a sandwich or a roll/bagel might be the trick with perhaps Tuna or Turkey for filling. Does this sound ok or can you recommend any other favourite options for lunch. I will be heading into the back of beyond so I will have to carry food as there are no shops on the way or toilets.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

A roll and cheese is a good lunch for me. Meat is just not a appealing during a ride and I am normally quite the carnivore.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Smuckers makes a little sandwich called Crustables - they're frozen. I'd stick one in my bag; by the time I was ready to eat, it would be thawed.

Nothing better than fig bars and a peanut butter sandwich. Easy on the stomach and good quick energy.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

Thanks girls. Yep V I think you might be right although I like Tuna etc it might be a bit much on a ride.

I like the Peanut Butter and Fig Newtons option, might give that a try.

Sorry Snap cant come at putting Jam on my Peanut Butter it just seems all wrong but hey I like Vegemite and I know that makes most want to puke.
    Amelia Earhart

Humus on a tortilla has worked well for me. Peanut butter and cheese crackers but you have to drink a lot with these.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by Trekhawk
    Sorry Snap cant come at putting Jam on my Peanut Butter it just seems all wrong
    Yeah! Someone else who appreciates pure PB, no jelly thank you very much.

A favorite of mine is to spread PB on a whole wheat tortilla and roll it up. Yummy and portable.
    Plays in dirt!

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate
    Humus on a tortilla has worked well for me.
    Mmm this sounds good too.
    Amelia Earhart

I like the...Fig Newtons option....
    ... but hey I like Vegemite and I know that makes most want to puke.
    Speakin' of fig newtons, does anyone know if they still make the whole wheat ones?? I can't find them anywhere.

And Trekhawk -- thought you'd appreciate this 'lil tidbit: my boss went to Australia last summer and brought back a little jar of vegemite spread. That week, she began our staff meeting by making us all try it (with Ritz crackers and butter). Out of 14 staff members in our department, only I liked it. In fact, I not only ate my one cracker, I ate the rest she had prepared on the platter. Afterwards, she handed the jar to me and said, "Here. I don't like it either."
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Sorry Snap cant come at putting Jam on my Peanut Butter it just seems all wrong but hey I like Vegemite and I know that makes most want to puke.
    I L-O-V-E vegemite! Just curious, do you do vegemite and PB? I might try that... Talking about pukey tastes, one of my former pre-vegan favorites was sandwich of tuna + raisin bran.

Quote Originally Posted by abuelitodimetu
    I L-O-V-E vegemite! Just curious, do you do vegemite and PB? I might try that... Talking about pukey tastes, one of my former pre-vegan favorites was sandwich of tuna + raisin bran.
    Yikes I dont think any self respecting Aussie mixes the two.
    Amelia Earhart

Quote Originally Posted by BikeMomma
    Speakin' of fig newtons, does anyone know if they still make the whole wheat ones?? I can't find them anywhere.

And Trekhawk -- thought you'd appreciate this 'lil tidbit: my boss went to Australia last summer and brought back a little jar of vegemite spread. That week, she began our staff meeting by making us all try it (with Ritz crackers and butter). Out of 14 staff members in our department, only I liked it. In fact, I not only ate my one cracker, I ate the rest she had prepared on the platter. Afterwards, she handed the jar to me and said, "Here. I don't like it either."
    Hey BikeMomma I have the whole wheat ones got them at Safeway.

As for the Vegemite I think you can officially say you are part Aussie having passed the Vegemite taste test.

A tip for any others trying Vegemite spread Marg or butter first and then a light spread of Vegemite over the top. Dont spread it thick like Peanut Butter.
    Amelia Earhart

Yikes I dont think any self respecting Aussie mixes the two.
    Ja! Then I blame my genes, I am 50% brit and we all know what they say about brits and they ability to cook (I know what my Dad would say...)
    I had been told that the training procedure with cats was difficult. It's not. Mine had me trained in two days. ~Bill Dana

Dang! Another one of these threads that makes me hungry!!

Quote Originally Posted by abuelitodimetu
    Ja! Then I blame my genes, I am 50% brit and we all know what they say about brits and they ability to cook (I know what my Dad would say...)
    I dont know mate my husband has cooked up many yummy meals courtesy of Jamie Oliver, so perhaps the Pommie genes are not to blame after all.
    Then there is Nigella mmm thinking I need some dessert.
    Amelia Earhart