Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lunch on Ride

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by BikeMomma
    Speakin' of fig newtons, does anyone know if they still make the whole wheat ones?? I can't find them anywhere.
    I frequently buy the Newman's Own brand. They're organic and I've found them to be comprably priced with the Nabisco brand. I also bought the Barbara's Bakery brand for a while. Those are wheat free (DS had wheat-induced eczema for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by fixedgeargirl
    I frequently buy the Newman's Own brand. They're organic and I've found them to be comprably priced with the Nabisco brand.
    Are they tasty? The Wonder Poodle turns up his finicky nose at the puppy "treats." If he'll even take them from my hand, they are then left out on the living room floor.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by fixedgeargirl
    I frequently buy the Newman's Own brand. They're organic and I've found them to be comprably priced with the Nabisco brand. I also bought the Barbara's Bakery brand for a while. Those are wheat free (DS had wheat-induced eczema for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekhawk
    Hey BikeMomma I have the whole wheat ones got them at Safeway.
    Hmmm....perhaps I'll look for the Newmans brand and try them out. I used to buy the Nabisco ones a long time ago and just assumed that they stopped making them ('cause they are actually healthy!). The SaveMart grocery store chain has somewhat of a monopoly around here, especially in my little city, where that's all there is -- no Safeway's. The next city over (Merced) at least has a Raley's and Albertson's thrown into the mix. The last time I checked, they didn't have whole wheat either. I used to be able to eat a whole package in one sitting, and would take a whole stack with me on a long ride. I miss those things!!
    Quote Originally Posted by abuelitodimetu
    Ja! Then I blame my genes, I am 50% brit and we all know what they say about brits and they ability to cook (I know what my Dad would say...)
    Ab, I'm 50% Brit too -- since I grew up eating things that are a little different than the typical American tastebud (love chutney, steamed pudding!), I figured that's perhaps why I took to the vegemite so easily. I dunno....just a theory. Oh...and I CAN'T cook worth poo (well, I can from recipes....). lol
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by tlkiwi
    Ah, BM, you are a good woman.

Awwww shucks.
    ~BikeMomma
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Trekhawk
    I don't know mate my husband has cooked up many yummy meals courtesy of Jamie Oliver, so perhaps the Pommie genes are not to blame after all.
    Then there is Nigella mmm thinking I need some dessert.
    That's true. Jamie is pretty good...Although that is nouvelle cuisine, not the kind of crap my grandma could cook... anything she made, I believe, tasted like boiled chicken. Now that I remember, she had scotch for breakfast, lunch and dinner - so maybe that's the culprit: CUI - cooking under the influence. However, hats of to the Brits for their sweets!

Edit: besides being insufferably charming, Jamie is an advocate for healthy lunches for UK kids. A little snipped below:

"From the Guardian: Celebrity chef Jamie Oliver's hit TV show is obviously very influential. Since he appeared on his show demanding a school meals revolution, the goverment was forced to agree to new standards in school catering. And now, the cafeteria workers are mad.

"Have you any idea how long it takes to peel fresh carrots for 700 children?" said Cathy Stewart, the Trade and General Workers' Union representative for Hackney area schools. 'Or cook meat pies to feed 300 or bake seven cakes? Our workload has soared.' Hackney cafeteria workers say they are happy to spend extra hours chopping organic courgettes, baking cakes from scratch and providing home-cooked roasts."
    Last edited by abuelitodimetu; 02-12-2006 at 03:57 PM.
    I had been told that the training procedure with cats was difficult. It's not. Mine had me trained in two days. ~Bill Dana

I would like to say that, as a 100% true Brit, I take great exception to the stereotype that British food is pants. Unfortunately, I am unable to do this as not only am I the world's worst cook, but I consider sultana bran to be the ideal meal for every occasion!
    I have also had the very unfortunate pleasure of eating out in numerous "culinary" establishments in the UK and can vouch that the stereotype is, for the most part, very well deserved.
    A portion of food in Britain (and even moreso in England) is generally no bigger than the size of your fist and a side salad will usually consist of one piece of wilted lettuce, one transparent sliver of cucumber (best left to dry out overnight) and two slices of over-ripe tomato (that's tom-ah-to, not tom-ay-to!).
    Even if the food is predictably inedible, the British diner will unfailingly say "It's lovely, thank you" in the unlikely event that the waitress gives a damn enough to even ask.
    However, don't let me dissuade you from ever sampling our lovely cuisine, for it truly has to be sampled to be fully appreciated.
    There, are of course, always exceptions to the rule - however these are usually very nice little Italian, Indian or Chinese restaurants as good old British food generally consists of lard, potato, or very fattening desserts!

Thank God I'm over the other side of the world at the moment - and it's all just a distant memory!

Incidentally, Vegemite is the food of the devil. Marmite/Our Mate (as it's called over here), is far superior ... (ducks a punch from Tlkiwi!).
    Life is Good!

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate
    Are they tasty?

We think so . After being raised on junk and more junk, I have lost my taste for processed sugars and really prefer the complexity of whole grains and whole sweeteners. Or I'm just a snob . Barbara's also makes a raspberry fig bar which I quite like.

Quote Originally Posted by SnappyPix
    I would like to say that, as a 100% true Brit, I take great exception to the stereotype that British food is pants. Unfortunately, I am unable to do this as not only am I the world's worst cook, but I consider sultana bran to be the ideal meal for every occasion!
    I have also had the very unfortunate pleasure of eating out in numerous "culinary" establishments in the UK and can vouch that the stereotype is, for the most part, very well deserved.

Thank God I'm over the other side of the world at the moment - and it's all just a distant memory!

... (ducks a punch from Tlkiwi!).
    I must (very) respectfully disagree here. During my one year stay in England I ate at more pubs than I care to admit. Nothing beats a good Sunday roast and a Pint (o.k., I would skip the "mushy" peas). Also, the grocerey stores were great with their little cafes of fresh baked pastries and tea and coffee. We used to go stock up on all the fresh cheeses and bread and goodies and picnic every Saturday. Also, I used to find excuses to have lunch with my son at school because the food was so good - they had 2 main courses, a couple of choices of vegetables and 3 dessert choices. It sure beats the little ardboard box lunches with the unwrapped pizza he gets here. I love my country (U.S.), but there is a culinary element lacking here.
    I do so miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by SnappyPix
    ... over-ripe tomato (that's tom-ah-to, not tom-ay-to!).
    Even if the food is predictably inedible, the British diner will unfailingly say "It's lovely, thank you" in the unlikely event that the waitress gives a damn enough to even ask.
    My brothers and I tease my mother to no end on the "tom-ah-to" thing. Toooo funny!

Uh oh -- she's told me that after sampling my cooking....

~Bike "1/2 Brit" Momma

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica
    We once figured out that to eat properly on a century, you need to eat a fig newton every nine minutes. I don't especially fig newtons.

V.
    Apple Newtons are good too! Also yes they still make the whole wheat Figs. I just bought some at Ralph's. Also, I don't like them as much (maybe cause they are "healthier") but Trader Jo's sells a whole wheat fig cookie.

I agree with the "Peanut butter" only crowd, especially on rides. Just can't do with the extra sugar jam provides. Pure peanut butter goes down better. Also for folks with peanut allergies, try some other nut butter (if you can) or something like apple or pumpkin butter. Also a nut bread, like date nut, is good on a ride. And I have a friend that swears by raisin cookies (a flat bar like cookie) or molasses bars.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

What do you take if you were on a diet?

Would that matter? On one hand you are burning fuel needed but on the other hand you don't want to add too much since you want to lose the weight. Suggestions? Comments?
    "I might not be riding fast but I'm still quicker than if I were on the couch" -Anonymous

I am of the mind that while riding calories don't matter - it's after and before you have to worry. They do make low fat peanut butter (which I prefer) and fig bars. But also celery with peanut butter is good and portable, string cheese sticks, apple slices etc. Just keep riding - then no worries re calories!
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

Hummmm.... so you mean I could become a "bike potato"? Get an indoor trainer, a big screen TV, eat and watch TV and ride all evening?

Getting serious now... I can't wait to get a trainer. really!
    "I might not be riding fast but I'm still quicker than if I were on the couch" -Anonymous

Thanks girls for all the food tips. I had a good ride yesterday and enjoyed my PB sandwich and Fig Newton for lunch.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

Yummmmm!