Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Someone tried to steal me (or my bike) - Van attack

To disable ads, please log-in.

I was riding through a neighborhood that I always ride through yesterday. I was stopped and drinking water on a neighborhood street when a van crossed the road, pulled up about a foot away from me, and the driver began to open the door and step out. As he did, I took off on my bike. I biked to the police precint but they didn't take it seriously because I couldn't get a license plate. About 5 miles further, the van passes me again! I called my partner who came and picked me up right away. I'm rather spooked. He was not trying to ask for directions but was either trying to get me or my bike! It was so creepy and I'm a little nervous to ride in that neighborhood again even though it's not a bad neighborhood (certainly has crime and poverty just like any other, but not what I would call super dangerous.) Do any of you ride with pepper spray? That seems so overkill for me, and I refuse to live in fear of people/crime, but maybe it's a good idea?

That's really quite scary sounding... even if you didn't get the license plate, can you give a good description of the van - did it have anything distinctive about it? It's a shame the police didn't take you seriously - next time someone may disappear.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Frightening! I'm glad you followed your instincts and bolted when the van pulled up so close the first time! If you're game, I'd contact the police again and give them any kind of follow up you can---if only that you spotted him a second time. After the horror that was just uncovered in Cleveland, police should take seriously ANY incident that makes a woman feel uneasy. ... One tip that I read here on TE a couple of years ago that *might* be useful in the future for you: If you have a cell phone, pull it out and take (or at least appear to be take) a picture of the vehicle or person, if you can. Someone up to no good will think twice about bothering you. I know you didn't have any time to think before bolting this time, but maybe the technique will come in handy down the line if you notice someone hovering in a way that makes you uneasy. If you're worried about someone targeting the cell phone, pick up a cheap model that won't attract attention. Glad you're safe!!
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." (Will Rogers)

Very scary. I'm glad you trusted your instincts. I don't carry pepper spray -- I'd fear it could be used against me. But it might be something to consider.

Oh, wow, that is scary. (((((Jordyne)))))
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Very scary, you had good instincts. It really stinks that the police didn't take you seriously. Perhaps a call to a superior officer might be in order, especially since this happened again.

I do carry pepper spray, but it's mostly for stray dogs or other animals on rural roads, if I get out on the dirt roads I pull it out of my bag and clip it someplace with easy access. You need to know how to judge for wind direction to avoid hurting yourself.
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

Bike Writer- tell about about judging for wind. I would only carry it when I ride solo, and not on group rides but if it has a lock on it, do I still need to be careful about wind? I was thinking of carrying it in my back jersey pocket.

I have a few cops that are part of my faith community. I plan to talk to them tonight and see what they recommend as well. Thanks for all your input! I haven't ridden in the area since, and it's driving me nuts.

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    The wind thing is simple...if you need to use the spray, make sure you're not spraying it into the wind or you'll be sorry!
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830