Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hit by car, no police, no ticket

To disable ads, please log-in.

This could go pretty much anywhere in the forum so decided to put here. My amazing daughter lives in Portland, OR. She commutes by bike, everyday, from NE Portland to OHSU (SW Portland) As she was descending off the steep hill the OHSU hospital is perched on a car turned, no signal, right in front of her, across the bike lane. The good news is she is a defensive rider but the bad news is, she still couldn't stop in time and was knocked over by the car. More good news is no blood, no broken bones - she will go to the Dr today to have her knee looked at.

Needless to say, she was totally upset and very scared. The woman driving the car did stop. My daughter confesses to much screaming and a few choice words. Thankfully the driver was not aggressive beyond hitting her with her car... Long story short, my daughter called the police and they refused to investigate. They told her that because the driver had stopped, given her all the insurance information, her name and phone number that they would not come to the scene of the accident. Wow, how does that make you feel - kinda like chopped liver...

Her bike was non rideable, still in shock, she started walking with her bike. She called me sounding very upset and confused - not the best time to live 500 miles away. Thankfully she stopped into a bike shop and they were able to help her get the bike working - she rode to meet a friend who did the concussion test and then gave her a ride the rest of the way home.

I am just shocked that an incident such as that is not something the police deem as worthy of responding to. I did send an email to bikeportland.org to see if they know more about police and bike accidents in Portland.
    Still to early to call the DD but will shortly. Know she will be sore today and may have to take the bus but knowing how stubborn she is I bet she will do her best to ride again today.,

Oh, just a final note, she was wearing her bright green cycling jacket, with a bright yellow mess. bag, both lights on and of course her helmet.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Re: Hit by car, no police, no ticket

WTF?! I guess I'm totally ignorant. I thought if a pedestrian or cyclist was hit, regardless of the circumstance, the cops always respond if called.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

When I got hit by a car the cops totally responded.... and ticketed her, then again it was an uninsured driver...

That's a real shame though. Portland is supposed to be completely bike friendly. The excuse I always hear from cops is that if they didn't see the traffic infraction that they can't ticket for it, but somehow I think that is *bogus*. Don't driver/driver collisions result in tickets sometimes??
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Hit by car, no police, no ticket

I had a similar incident a couple of years ago, fortunately I was able to ride the right hand curve with the van who was pulling into a private lot (again, impromptu right hand turn across the bike lane). The van also stopped except in my case the van driver got out and started yelling at ME? A police car was on the street and pulled to the side, calling out the window as to whether I was all right. When I indicated I didn't appear to have any injuries they indicated they didn't want a statement from me and drove off, no intention of ticketing the driver.

I don't know what's customary in that area, but I'm surprised the police weren't interested. I'd like to know if you hear from Bikeportland. Hope your daughter continues to feel okay.

That's pretty much normal where I live. And if the cops were to come out (which they pretty much only do in case of a fatality, which thank God this wasn't), all they do is find a way to blame it all on the cyclist. So, honestly, she's probably better off with her insurance claim WITHOUT a police report that explains in detail how it was all her fault.

Hope her knee checks out okay and she heals up quick.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

She should call Mark Ginsberg or Ray Thomas. Both are local attorneys specializing in bicycling issues and rights.
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

Wow; I'm glad you she's relatively okay. How scary for both of you though.

As for the police: I've (knock on wood) never been in a bike accident, but I've had them refuse to respond to car accidents where there were no reported injuries. Did you daughter indicate one way or another whether she was hurt?
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Sky King - that is scary and I'm glad to hear that your dd is, as far as it seems, relatively uninjured. It sounds like there was "property damage" in the accident and I wonder if that matters. Most people don't have a clue about how much we are paying for our bikes and they are sometimes a much-needed means of transportation or just the preferred means of transportation. Bikes do matter, as being without a bike for some is like being without a car for others. I am really peeved for you, your dd and all cyclists who receive similar treatment from police. I wonder if one calls 911 and when they ask if there is injury the reply is "I'm not sure, please send police and EMT", if there would be any negative repercussions when it turned out to not be a serious crash. Wishing your dd quick recovery!
    The bicycle has done more for the emancipation of women than anything else in the world. ~ Susan B. Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    When I got hit by a car the cops totally responded.... and ticketed her, then again it was an uninsured driver...

That's a real shame though. Portland is supposed to be completely bike friendly. The excuse I always hear from cops is that if they didn't see the traffic infraction that they can't ticket for it, but somehow I think that is *bogus*. Don't driver/driver collisions result in tickets sometimes??
    You're absolutely right, that's totally BOGUS! Yes, people get tickets in driver/driver altercations.
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
    This could go pretty much anywhere in the forum so decided to put here. My amazing daughter lives in Portland, OR. She commutes by bike, everyday, from NE Portland to OHSU (SW Portland) As she was descending off the steep hill the OHSU hospital is perched on a car turned, no signal, right in front of her, across the bike lane. The good news is she is a defensive rider but the bad news is, she still couldn't stop in time and was knocked over by the car. More good news is no blood, no broken bones - she will go to the Dr today to have her knee looked at.

Needless to say, she was totally upset and very scared. The woman driving the car did stop. My daughter confesses to much screaming and a few choice words. Thankfully the driver was not aggressive beyond hitting her with her car... Long story short, my daughter called the police and they refused to investigate. They told her that because the driver had stopped, given her all the insurance information, her name and phone number that they would not come to the scene of the accident. Wow, how does that make you feel - kinda like chopped liver...

Her bike was non rideable, still in shock, she started walking with her bike. She called me sounding very upset and confused - not the best time to live 500 miles away. Thankfully she stopped into a bike shop and they were able to help her get the bike working - she rode to meet a friend who did the concussion test and then gave her a ride the rest of the way home.

I am just shocked that an incident such as that is not something the police deem as worthy of responding to. I did send an email to bikeportland.org to see if they know more about police and bike accidents in Portland.
    Still to early to call the DD but will shortly. Know she will be sore today and may have to take the bus but knowing how stubborn she is I bet she will do her best to ride again today.,

Oh, just a final note, she was wearing her bright green cycling jacket, with a bright yellow mess. bag, both lights on and of course her helmet.
    This story is disturbing on so many levels. Blase police, driver not ticketed, property damage that's fluffed off. It's truly wrong on everything associated with it.

I'm glad to hear she seems to be okay.
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

This seems just wrong. Police do respond here, but I worry that because people call them for things that are so stupid, that one day, they may not...
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Thanks for all the validation, Still no news on the "policy" of the police. I will report she is doing fine. Sore and bruised but has the bike "working" and able to ride. The good news is the woman's insurance company has been over the top helpful. Will pay for any and all repairs on her bike and are giving her some $ for "pain and suffering" - I know that is a CYA move but still a nice move.
    Now to find a trusted mechanic in Portland - ANYONE??? The last one she went to was just so so.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

I live near Portland. This story is just crazy!! I'm bringing this up to BTA (Bike Transportation Alliance). See if we can raise the awareness level. One sad things is that Portland police are well still operating as though it was 40-60 years ago.

She should also call BTA and ask around and to bring up the incident.

Thank goodness she wasn't too badly injured. can never be safe enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
    Thanks for all the validation, Still no news on the "policy" of the police. I will report she is doing fine. Sore and bruised but has the bike "working" and able to ride. The good news is the woman's insurance company has been over the top helpful. Will pay for any and all repairs on her bike and are giving her some $ for "pain and suffering" - I know that is a CYA move but still a nice move.
    Now to find a trusted mechanic in Portland - ANYONE??? The last one she went to was just so so.
    So sorry to hear about this accident and lack of police response. I have heard to at least respond with "Not sure" if you are asked when calling in on an accident. Always better to be safe. Accident shock can really hide injuries needing immediate attention like concussions.

In terms of repair, depending on schedules, Rolling Wrench http://rolling-wrench.com/ will come to where you are. We had them in for a bike clinic at work. Of course, depends on the extent of work needed, but he is a full service, by bike, business.

Quick healing to your daughter.

Paula

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '89 Bridgestone Radac Dura-Ace | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1 | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1.2 (balloon tire bike) | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '93 Bridgestone MB-5 (my SUB*) | Specialized Lithia, 143

My blog: Portlandia Pedaler (at Blogger)