Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sit bone issue on one side only

To disable ads, please log-in.

Has anyone else faced this? Overall my saddle is just fine and I can ride as far as I am able to without problems, until recently. The sit bone on the left side has been bothering me a bit on longer rides, it gets sore and tired. Does anyone else have this on one side only?
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

When I had that problem, it was because the saddle was crooked -- nose did not point straight ahead. So I would check that first.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Thanks, I will. Glad to hear that it's happened to someone else and also that you found a solution.
    Bike Writer

It could definitely be a misalignment in the bike, but it could be a misalignment in your body, too. I had a 3 mm offset in the sides of my pelvis last year - don't know whether that was from my most recent fall or one of the other wrecks I've had over the years. A leg length discrepancy could make you put more pressure on one side than the other, too.

Sometimes people *intentionally* turn the saddle slightly off center to deal with issues like that (something you can try on your own - turn the nose very slightly toward the side where you feel greater pressure). Sometimes shimming a cleat can help (don't try that at home - see an experienced fitter).
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    It could definitely be a misalignment in the bike, but it could be a misalignment in your body, too. I had a 3 mm offset in the sides of my pelvis last year - don't know whether that was from my most recent fall or one of the other wrecks I've had over the years. A leg length discrepancy could make you put more pressure on one side than the other, too.

Sometimes people *intentionally* turn the saddle slightly off center to deal with issues like that (something you can try on your own - turn the nose very slightly toward the side where you feel greater pressure). Sometimes shimming a cleat can help (don't try that at home - see an experienced fitter).
    This. I get more pressure on one side than the other due to a combination of issues, and the saddle is straight.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

another thought, how many miles on the saddle? Is it time for a new saddle?
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

The last couple of days have been hectic so I haven't had a chance to act on the tips yet. They are all good ones and things to check out. One thing I noticed last week while taking photos while out touring on my bike. The horizon was not straight and I had to tilt a bit to make it straight. That leads me to think it's me and not the bike? Hmmm, I'm going to have to check this out. Could also explain the slight hitch in my giddy-up on the left side which is also the painful sit bone side.

Sky King, near as I can think off the top of my head without checking the saddle probably has about 2K on it? What might be considered the shelf-life of a saddle? Probably depends on weight of the rider and I'm no slouch in that department!

Oak and Muirenn, I ride flat platform pedals, no clipping. Claustrophobic about that, maybe someday...
    Bike Writer

My left cheek callus is bigger than the right cheek. I figured because I always put my left foot down first when I stop.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    When I had that problem, it was because the saddle was crooked -- nose did not point straight ahead. So I would check that first.
    I checked the saddle with a t-square as best as I could see, it is on straight so it must be me that's out of kilter. Today's the first day I've had a chance to get out since I posted this but I made a conscious effort to sit straighter. Something I was doing without notice was having a tendency to slouch a bit to my left side, kinda like causing a little cave-in on my left side. I've since noticed that at times I'll do that while sitting. I'm going to be aware of this and stop it when I feel myself sinking on that side. I don't know why I do that, if it's a bad habit or a sign of something else? I could also believe that one leg is longer than the other because I've had total knee replacement on the left and need to have it done on the right. Having the surgery straightened out a slight bow in my left leg. I'm sure the slight bow on my right side might contribute to a difference in length.

Thank you to all for your suggestions. It gets me thinking and it's helped me recognize a problem and try to alleviate it.
    Bike Writer

One thing to be aware of, that has become increasingly clear to me via my injuries this year, is how much a part your SHOULDERS play in all of that.

Handedness - and asymmetrical ergonomics such as the hand controls of a car or motorcycle, or the location of your phone and computer mouse at work - and even on a bici, when you probably use your right hand for shifting and braking much more than the left, whereas you'll use your left hand for signaling and (hopefully) for drinking - these asymmetries almost inevitably make your shoulders uneven, because you'll have certain tasks you'll do in certain directions with one hand, while the other hand will be different.

So one shoulder will sit higher than the other, which pulls your spine out, which pulls your pelvis out .... it was a HUGE revelation to me when the LMT unstuck the adhesions underneath my left shoulderblade and the numbness on the right side of my back and leg went away.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I second what Oak said. I've had issues with asymmetrical stuff for years. Jokingly, I've said I'm crooked, but, it's not a joke. I do have a curvature of the spine, but it's really a minor thing, in terms of how bad curvatures can be. Long story short, I've tried to pay more attention to how I hold myself and I realized I always have one shoulder higher than the other, and I'm often hunched over. I've been seeing my MacKenzie PT, and he also "unstuck" me with just some minor manipulation and daily exercises on my part.
    I was getting worried, as I was having considerable back pain riding, stiffness in the AM, and all other kinds of stuff that some might attribute to "old age." Sigh, the cycling position is not good for me, but as long as I keep doing the exercises, I'll be OK.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Oak and Crankin,

Both of you ladies are onto the probable cause. I am left handed in writing, shooting pool and waterskiing (yes there is a handedness to waterskiing even though you do it with your feet, I'm known as "goofy foot" forward a term for putting your right foot in the front position on a slalom ski) but everything else I do right handed, so I do generally drink my water bottle with my left hand, though I am able to to it with my right also.

I believe it originates higher up in the body, possibly even my neck. Yeas ago when I owned a restaurant and worked on my feet for long hours I used to visit a chiropractor somewhat regularly, but off and on, and had issues with sciatic nerve and back pain. I haven't had that in years except I've had a slight twinge in my left lower back recently and I've spent the winter sitting far more than usual this last winter.

From being conscious of it yesterday and holding myself straight on my ride I came back with no pain.
    Bike Writer

Age of saddle, I think every saddle is different. One of my riding buddies loves the Terry butterfly but she has to buy a new one every 3rd year. She can tell when her back starts to get tweakie that it is time to replace her saddle. On the other had my DH rides a Gilles Berthoud with over 10k on it and hasn't even had to tighten his nose...
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
    Age of saddle, I think every saddle is different. One of my riding buddies loves the Terry butterfly but she has to buy a new one every 3rd year. She can tell when her back starts to get tweakie that it is time to replace her saddle. On the other had my DH rides a Gilles Berthoud with over 10k on it and hasn't even had to tighten his nose...
    I imagine rider weight plays a big role too. I'm pretty fond of that saddle and worry that it might not not be available in that same color if I wait too long. I like the firmness of the saddle, it's not squishy like a lot of cruiser/hybrid type saddles.
    Bike Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Writer View Post
    Has anyone else faced this? Overall my saddle is just fine and I can ride as far as I am able to without problems, until recently. The sit bone on the left side has been bothering me a bit on longer rides, it gets sore and tired. Does anyone else have this on one side only?
    I actually have the same problem, on the left side. Only been riding the new Trek for a week so I supposed it's just because it's new to/for me. I've never had this kind of saddle before but I will keep all these suggestions in mind in case the issue doesn't go away.

On another note; I did just receive my Breezer Boardshorts from T/E with the built in padded chamois...since I've never worn bike shorts before, are they supposed to feel like you're wearing a loaded diaper? And I mean that sincerely because I have NO idea. They sure helped a lot on my ride last night but before we left, while we're walking around the house getting ready to leave, they felt funny lol...and they were protecting my arse and part of my thighs too-is that how they're supposed to be or are they too big?