Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

the effort to ride-how do you find a recreational group to ride with?

To disable ads, please log-in.

The weekend ride post got me thinking.

I have trouble finding people to ride with but this weekend I made the effort to try out a new group. Checked out their web site for place, time etc. Tried to contact but phone, it went to fax. I got up at 5 so I could be to the ride start at 8. Drove thru stormy looking weather, so many possible times to talk myself out--no one will be there, etc. When I got there a small group of fellas showed up. While talking with ride leader he says really the club should post that minimum speed should be 17. I can go that fast I just enjoy going slower for various reasons. I always enjoy how get togethers follow the pattern-- a few show up, then mass appearance followed quickly by we are off and riding. I did get to talk with the lone female about bike transportation, their rides, the surprising elderly of the club. Still I chose not to slow them down, nor my not enjoying my pace so I did not go with them. I headed 50 miles up the coast and road on an island. Weather was beautiful. Five or so cyclists out. Nice flat, wide road put in 20 mi. Took the pups for a walk on the beach and had fresh fish sandwich. So all in all it was a good time. Still I long for others to ride with so the dogs on my country roads don't have only me to attack (that is not the only reason.)

fspot in nc
    Last edited by fetchspot; 05-14-2013 at 04:09 PM.

Re: the effort to ride-how do you find a recreational group to ride with?

Have you checked with your lbs or meetup.com? Googled bike clubs? That's how I found our club. Or you could create a group on meetup to see if there are others in your area interested in riding.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

I belong to two local clubs and have looked into three others in this general area. I learned of the existence of four of those five clubs through annual century rides that they sponsor. So if there are any big annual rides in your area, look at their websites to see who organizes them.

Also the local cycling advocacy group here in DC has a page on their website with links to local clubs, so that might be another place to look.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I've only gone out on group rides 2-3 times...annually. I am such a lazy **** in terms getting myself motivated to meet up at specific times and place. All the cities I've lived in , all have large cycling clubs with range of different rides. That's why in the past I've gotten involved in volunteering for cycling advocacy events and rides..to meet other like-minded cyclists and be able to talk decently without feeling as if I have to also concentrate on cycling and not bump into someone else/something. I don't put myself in the cycling-team kit group even though I wear lycra. Nor am I cycling chic with high heels and no helmet.

I find myself wanting either to just cycle and stop when I want or wanting to socialize in a meaningful way, without being overly distant. Cycling has simultaneously made me more social with other cyclists who like sharing info. and with whom I otherwise would not connect with some of the same people under other circumstances. But also at the same time, it makes me realize why I like cycling...I can make a choice to do it on my own. It does appeal to my introvertedness.

There's probably a big difference in solo cycling in urban areas vs. those who cycle often in the country several times per wk. In urban areas I never feel "alone" and if one gets "lost", eventually there are services, people to ask or for sustenance. This struck me when I got lost temporarily when snowshoeing in the mountains several years ago. I panicked in a way, I have never panicked when cycling on my own.

I've met several TE members over the years, and have enjoyed a bike ride with them. So if you ever head out to the Canadian Rockies in Alberta....
    Last edited by shootingstar; 05-14-2013 at 07:00 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I found a group that I fit in with by accident, when one of the members came on a ride I was leading. He suggested that I would be a good match and he was right. I don't get to ride with them much now, but it still holds true. Also, the other club I ride with, and lead for, is an outdoor club, not just cycling. It attracts a different kind of person and while some of them are a little too "granola-ish" for me, they tend to have a more social attitude toward cycling.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport