Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

First Century - getting nervous!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've trained. I've done long rides. I've done what I could feasibly do.

Now I'm nervous! I know I need to chill, but . . . how?

Any advice for the first time century rider?
    "Susie" - 2012 Specialized Ruby Apex, not pink/Selle SMP Lite 209

When is your ride? If it's in the next day or two, all I can say is relax, get enough sleep, and have faith in yourself. Think of the fun you'll have, and the sense of accomplishment you'll have! And don't forget to pace yourself!

Good luck, and good for you for doing a century!
    "There are only two ways to live your life: You can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle" - Albert Einstein

2012 Cinelli Gazzetta della Strada
    2011 Scott Contessa Speedster 15
    1993 Cannondale H600
    1970s Western Flyer Cruiser

Saturday - thanks!

Final prep -- make a packing list, start to pack your gear bag and any nonperishable snacks, look up the directions to the start and travel time estimate, think about what you'll eat the day before (i.e., something easy to digest), go for a couple of easy rides, clean and lube your chain, make sure you drink enough this week...

Good luck!!

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyguys View Post
    Saturday - thanks!

You will have a blast (: Enjoy the taper including some Friday carb treats (: The best long run, ride etc whatever advice I hold in my head for epics (sorry can't give credit- don't remember from who) No matter how bad (or good) you feel...it will pass!

Re: First Century - getting nervous!

Are you doing a club ride or charity ride or just going out on your own?
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    Are you doing a club ride or charity ride or just going out on your own?
    Charity Ride for Team in Training - so I'll be traveling a few hours to get to the ride start on Friday.

Re: First Century - getting nervous!

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyguys View Post
    Charity Ride for Team in Training - so I'll be traveling a few hours to get to the ride start on Friday.
    Nice! My only recommendation is plenty of rest.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Focus on not thinking about the ride itself and how you will do. Just don't let your mind go there. Subsitute calming thoughts. (Different for everyone). A few hours in the saddle that day will cure this.
    I did an easy ride with dh last night in the neighborhood. Part of my nervousness is the fact that rider services shut down at 3. Dh is going to provide back-up SAG in case I don't make it to the last stop before it shuts down, but that number is still looming in my head, KWIM?

I'm trying to do what CG suggested - think about the fun. I *know* I can complete it, and it shouldn't matter if I'm bringing up the rear.

And when I was up in that territory (same area as the ride) last week, I ran into someone who used to cycle a lot, and her comment was, "Wow - I've heard [that ride] is HARD!" Gee, thanks! I was all in my happy place after a good ride that morning, 45 miles that felt really easy (I think I found the only 3 hours in North Texas with no wind). Followed that afternoon (not cycling at that point) by wind that would knock you over.

I'll have fun, and I'm doing this for dh and my mom (the bike is named after her). Once I get going, it'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Keeping busy with the prep, sleeping, eating, and drinking a lot of water for the interim should get you through it.

What did you decide to do about food and hydration?
    I tried the diluted smoothie, but I don't think I got the mix quite right, so I'll go back to my Powerade, as I know I do well with it. I'll pack the Jelly Bellies into the top tube pack, and I'll have water in my hydration pack. It'll work!

I did want to say, though, that I LOVED the Bolthouse protein smoothie for a recovery drink!! The chocolate one was yummerly!

I'm ready and I'll have fun!

If you're staying in a hotel the night before, I suggest packing for any kind of weather that is possible. I always feel better knowing I am prepared for the unexpected. And you can always just leave it in the car if you don't need it.

For packing lists, I do a head-to-toe checklist: what do I need for my head? what do I need for my face, eyes, lips, skin? what do I need for my top? what do I need for my legs? what do I need for my feet? Then I do the morning-to-night checklist: what do I need in order to wake up? what products do I need first thing in the morning (e.g., toothbrush). what do I need for breakfast? etc.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I just finished my first century with 2900 feet elevation (thankfully, one of the flatter centuries because my legs have been exhausted for 3 days). I was able to average 16.6mph because some really nice strangers let me draft behind them (I always ask and not just draft randomly because I am wobbly when I ride and I want to make sure that the rider in front of me knows to signal/warn me of obstacles ahead).

My advice for a first century is to stop and fill up your water bottles with gatorade and grab a snack to put in your jersey and pee at every rest stop so that you are as comfortable as possible to finish....at least, that was what I did. I also did take 1 Tylenol at the start of the race to try and prevent any aches/pains that was coming.

Most of all, I try to finish without injury/getting lost. Some of the riders that I know were lost for 10miles. So, watch the holes/the road cracks/being too close to the gutter/cars.
    2014 Liv Lust
    2013 Specialized Fate Expert with carbon wheelset (sold)
    2012 Specialized Amira Elite
    2010 Santa Cruz Juliana with R kit and Crampon pedals (sold)

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle (sold)