Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

A woman I "know" from another forum did a write up for Bike Magainze on a new line of bikes manufactured by Santa Cruz under the name Juliana. It touches on the 26er versus 27.5er versus 29er issue a bit, especially as it relates to shorter riders.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    A woman I "know" from another forum did a write up for Bike Magainze on a new line of bikes manufactured by Santa Cruz under the name Juliana. It touches on the 26er versus 27.5er versus 29er issue a bit, especially as it relates to shorter riders.
    Very interesting! This article re-confirms that for me (since I would take an XS in each of these bikes), the 26" wheel size is right -- just as I always figured.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I started this thread and I finally picked out an awesome bike. I went with a Devinci Atlas small frame 29. The second I got on it, it fit and rode great. When we got it out on the trails, it cornered great and quick. Later after some research I read that they designed it to ride like a 26 with 29 tires by not stretching out the frame to fit the bigger wheels. I definitely felt it. I think I'll really fall more in love with this bike the more I ride it. Thanks for all your tips and suggestions.

I'm 5'2 I have a specialized hardrock 29er. After struggling with this bike for a few months I decided a 26 is better for me. My hardrock rides beautifully over rocks and stumps. I love it for that type of trail. However, when I am trying to do the more technical trails I have little control over the bike. It is very frustrating. The last few strokes to get to the top of the hill is impossible. I fell backwards on my first ride and got a concussion. So I just bought a Cannondale Lexi 3. My advice would be to demo as many bikes as you can. Not just in a parking lot either, unless it has a giant dirt hill

more --- I've been talking to my coaching buddies, and the consensus seems to be that 29ers take a lot more effort to corner properly with, and that this may be an issue for smaller riders.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

I am currently riding a Niner EMD XS - and love it...but I am 5'1" and after demoing a 26" Pivot a few weeks ago I realized that for my size a 26" is for me. The climbing on my hardtail is awesome and the 29" wheels just roll over everything but it is not as nibble going around the corners.

I really like geometry on the 26", it is easier for me to handle, and it is so nibble on the corners...so now I am on the market for a full suspension bike. I love my 29" but I am in Colorado so I feel I would benefit more from the 26" wheel.

Try some out - they are all different.

Lake Superior in the summer; southern WI the rest of the year
    I'm 5'5", and I just bought my first mountain bike after moving to the Keweenaw, which has amazing trails. I went to visit the local bike shops assuming I'd get a 29er hardtail (full suspension was financially impossible this summer).But after test-riding a lot of 29ers and one 26" Kona, the 26" bike felt a lot more nimble and controllable to me. As I get more experience, this may change, but for now, I'm happy with my new 26". (I also paddle a very agile, responsive, nimble kayak, so perhaps this is a theme for me.)

DH and I were revisiting this topic the other night and I think in a year or two that I will most likely start checking out a 650b, once there are more models to choose from. I think it's a bummer that I moved from my tank of a 26" wheeled bike when I did. Had I been able to try some 27.5" wheeled models I am reasonably certain that I would have gone that route. I have to admit that after breaking my wrist I'm more than a little gunshy to get back on the trails and my El Mariachi just feels a bit like too-much-bike. I love that it's a far better bike than what it replaced and I can keep up with people on uphills, but on twisty stuff it's not nimble.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

If I decide to get a mountain bike, I'm on the fence now. After taking my CX bike on what's supposed to be an easy MTB trail, I can see where those big wheels are both an advantage and a disadvantage! (I realize a CX bike isn't going to be quite as nimble as a MTB!) I'm tall enough that I can find a 29er with not too much difficulty, so that part isn't a problem. The 650b sounds intriguing, though I'll wait a few years so that there's a good selection of models and tires on the market.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    I have to admit that after breaking my wrist I'm more than a little gunshy to get back on the trails and my El Mariachi just feels a bit like too-much-bike. I love that it's a far better bike than what it replaced and I can keep up with people on uphills, but on twisty stuff it's not nimble.
    I have the same perception of my El Mariachi. I love it, but it's not a corner carver and it wasn't designed to be. My Niner has a totally different feel in the twisty stuff. Geometry is the key...although I've never compared the differences between the two.