Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Flat Pedal Revolution

To disable ads, please log-in.

To expand the clips to flats discussion, I found this the other day
    THe Flat Pedal Manifesto
    Ok, so the title is a little deep, but it's a good article, especially if you are interested in the mechanics of a pedal stroke.

I.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

As always, Irulan is full of great information.

My husband bought some SPD with platforms (Shimano PD-M424 SPD Pedals) that he hated, so I might as well try them. Personally, my husband did go uphill 20% faster clipped in compared to flat pedals. Unfortunately, he also fell 3 times trying to unclip. I went to the shop to loosen the tension, but my husband now hates those pedals so much that he doesn't want them anymore.

So....I am going to try clipping in going uphill and staying unclipped on top of the platforms going downhill. No way I can go downhill clipped in because of my clumsiness.

If that doesn't work, I'm going back to my Crampon Flat Pedals which weren't bad.
    2014 Liv Lust
    2013 Specialized Fate Expert with carbon wheelset (sold)
    2012 Specialized Amira Elite
    2010 Santa Cruz Juliana with R kit and Crampon pedals (sold)

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle (sold)

- I did the combo thing for years, and I can tell you, standing on a platform/combo pedal, not clipped in, wearing a mtb shoe with clips on the bottom is NOT the same thing at all as a flat sticky shoe with flat pedal combo. I did this for years: I'm a strong technical rider and I didn't want to switch due to the "pedal stroke efficiency" stuff that we get hammered with.

In retrospect, it's kind of awkward, as when you are standing on the pedals not clipped in, you are going for the best position where you a)hopefully won't get bounced off and b)you won't get clipped in by accident. By my observation, this is not optimal for best balance and foot position.

My very first ride with the flat/flat combo blew-my-mind. It was incredibly stable. My feet went exactly where they needed to go for best and most natural balance, and I can tell you this is not where they go when you are standing not clipped in on combo pedals. My cornering and balance improved instantly, and I've been riding since 1996. The first ride was a 5 mile singletrack climb, no problems there. And then on the descent, same thing...blew my mind how stable I was cornering. I ride with a PT, and she commented on how from the rear view I have much better joint alignment now than I did when I was clipped in. Short version is, consider ditching the combo pedals, they are a half assed solution. I can say that since I rode with them for the last 8 years.(platform with clip on both sides)
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

Thanks for that perspective, Irulan. I ride with flat pedals and grippy shoes--and I'm pretty darn happy with that combination as a relatively new mtber. I have no intention of switching, but I appreciate hearing about your experiences.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Flat Pedal Revolution

A couple of things I really liked about the " manifesto" is two,points he brings up, the unspoken:
    1. How hard it is for most beginners to learn clipped in, and how they are hammered on about how important it is to ride that way unless you are a downhiller and
    2. Crashing while clipped in is likely to result in more/bigger injuries. Already I've gotten very comfortable in falling feet first; coming off my bike on my feet where I iChat have otherwise landed on a wrist or shoulder.

I know, I totally sound like I drank the Koolaid. I wish I'd changed several years ago when it was first suggested to me.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

Thanks for posting this, Irulan.

I'm still new to a lot of the bike lingo and I haven't fully read that manifesto yet, but... when you say "flat/flat" do you mean a flat pedal and a flat shoe? And if you mean flat shoe, do you mean a sticky shoe?

I have 12 miles logged on my new road bike with the pedals it came with and my awesome pink Chucks. However, my foot slide around a couple of times, so I'm looking to change my set up without going clipless - I'm just too clumsy for that.

2013 Specialized Ruby Sport
    2012 Specialized Crossroads Sport
    1998 Trek 800 Sport
    1992 Performance Focus

I ride with a couple of people who consistently lecture me about how much faster I'd climb on my mtb if I went clipless, even as I get well ahead of them on a climb. Frankly, I'm less interested in speed and WAY more interested in having fun and staying safe. Plus, my red Straightlines look super cool on my bike!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Re: Flat Pedal Revolution

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    I ride with a couple of people who consistently lecture me about how much faster I'd climb on my mtb if I went clipless, even as I get well ahead of them on a climb. Frankly, I'm less interested in speed and WAY more interested in having fun and staying safe. Plus, my red Straightlines look super cool on my bike!
    Plus one Indy, we ride with people that I think are fantastic, but constantly tell me how I'll eventually move to clipless and I'll be a much better rider. Now with the road bike I have gone clipless and am glad I have, but Hell will freeze over before I do it on my mtb. I love my mtb and enjoy the comfort I have on it. There's no earthly reason why I should ever switch from my sticky shoes and flat pedals. I've never even gotten shinburger (knock on wood.)
    Last edited by thekarens; 05-07-2013 at 08:55 PM.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

I found everything in that manifesto to be true for me. I rode cross country on flats for years. I did one season of technical riding with clipless pedals. I spent that entire season worrying about whether I was going to be able to get my feet off the pedals in time and avoiding features that I rock on flats. The "fun factor" is back now that I'm on flats again.

Any new riders out there who would like to buy my SPD's?
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

Flat Pedal Revolution

Yes flat/flat means flat pedal with flat(sticky mtb specific) shoe. We've had some other threads that discuss shoes extensively.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

constantly tell me how I'll eventually move to clipless and I'll be a much better rider.
    who consistently lecture me about how much faster I'd climb on my mtb if I went clipless
    This is addresses as one of the issues with the transition, and it's pretty much debunked both in the Manfesto ( lol cannot stop thinking about the Unabomber) and by anecdotal evidence.

I had it out in a way with a shop guy at my favorite LBS. I was looking for shoes, and one of the "kids' ( mid 20's not too much of a kid) actually said, "why would you want to do that?". FWIW he's a mountain biker also, but that's beside the point. I've been mountain biking since he was in grade school, and am known in the community as a coach, trail builder and advocate, and for getting women out on the trails... IE< not clueless>. The condescension of it really ticked me off. Well, I did the right thing and took his manager aside and explained that what A said was really inappropriate for any number of reasons and hopefully it was listened to and respected.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

Good for you for saying something.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I started out riding with flat pedals and flat shoes and a lot of people kept telling me how I would climb faster and feel more secure downhill with clipless pedals.
    Then I participated in a one week course (MTB clinic style) where the trainer (who is very well known for training various world cup/olympic athletes) insisted that everyone used flat pedals. His reasoning was that using clipless pedals could cover up mistakes in riding technique and using flat pedals would result in "leraning it right from the beginning".

I never switched to clipless pedals after that. I feel more secure downhill, because I can jump off my bike faster or fall without thinking about unclipping. And by now I'm also one of the fastest climbers in our group, without "the more efficient pedal stroke".

At the Midwest Women's Mountain Bike Clinic they also strongly recommended that everyone, regardless of skill level, use flat pedals for the weekend. It was an eye-opener to some of advanced women I talked with - it really did uncover some technique issues and they were thankful for the experience.

It's not just uncovering technique issues, but the split seconds or more you spend clipping in/out really distract from focusing on the skill at hand. You can't stand on a pedal properly unclipped, ( you have to offset your foot so you don't clip) which makes learning certain skills really difficult, like front wheel lifts. I know personally my body position and cornering have improved since freeing up my foot and knee to point into the turn. Etc. Etc.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2