Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Rain Gear?

Rain Gear?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I rode my first charity tour ride yesterday. It was supposed to be 17 miles but the group I was with got lost so we ended up doing 20.

It was terrible weather, cold and raining. I had a wind shell/ rain repellent type jacket, but not something that could really hold up to being soaked riding in the cold rain for two hours. I shivered involuntarily for about 30 minutes after we stopped.

After seeing several better prepared people (not all though), I have decided I may need an actual rain jacket, some sort of ear warmers, and possibly a helmet that doesn't let rain roll directly into my eyes.

Given that its getting warmer, is now the time to load up on stuff for cold weather/ rain?

What specific items have you all found the most helpful in your rides?

Although others will tell you differently, I prefer having a cycling specific, fully water repellent rain jacket, with pit zips. Yes, you will heat up wearing a water repellent jacket, but if you are doing a charity ride in the rain, what would you prefer... heating up a bit or hypothermia? The pit zips allow you to cool yourself somewhat.
    You can get a helmet cover that goes over your helmet that is waterproof, which works better in really pouring rain. I have several head covers for warmth that go under your helmet, but none of them would keep the rain out.
    Wool socks (you can get thin cycling specific wool socks for warmer weather) and toe covers if it's like in the 50s and raining. Dressing in layers for days like this helps, particularly, a merino wool base layer.
    You need to be wearing clear cycling sunglasses to keep the water out of your eyes.
    Shivering involuntarily for 30 minutes is serious stuff.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I usually wear arm coolers which allow my arms to stay reasonably warm- then I wear a Showers Passing rain coat with a mesh insert under the shoulder flap, pit zips and will roll up small enough to fit in a pocket on the jersey. I carry a pair of disposable gloves for tire flats or to keep my hands dry. Under my helmet I wear a buff which although it doesn't keep my head dry, at least soaks the water away and wicks much like wool. Of course, most of the rain I ride in (Texas and the south don't you know) is warm enough that my concern is more about trying to stay cool enough than warm enough. That being said, I have ridden with the above combo in some fairly low temps and while I haven't been toasty warm, I at least have been warm enough to function. I love my showers pass rain cioat and my arm coolers.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

I have a Showers Pass jacket, similar to the Elite jacket.

http://www.teamestrogen.com/showers-...0-b100094.html

It's not cheap, but it's a great waterproof jacket. Unlike Marni's, mine does not fit well into a jersey pocket, but I have a small handlebar bag that I can keep it in while I ride, if needed.

I wore a similar jacket (different brand but made from the same fabric) during a century ride in heavy rain with temps in the 60s. With a long-sleeve jersey underneath, I was comfortable. I've also worn it with a long-sleeve jersey and a wool base layer on a cloudy day with temps in the high 40s, and felt I would have been more comfortable without the base layer.

I also have a head cover from Showers Pass, though I've never used it. It's like a hood that attaches to the jacket and goes under the helmet.

In terms of when to buy, by now most places have probably sold most of their winter clothing. The sales start earlier in the spring. But it never hurts to look -- you might get lucky.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I tend to forget about water repellent and go for layers.
    I usually have a wool undershirt and a long sleeved jacket with wind blocking. Yes both get soaked but they stay warm. The main part I find really annoying is water in my shoes sloshing around. So I wear Seal Skin waterproof socks and overshoes with long tights. That normally keeps most of the water out of my shoes. I also clip on the visor to my helmet and have a polar fleece buff (it repels water) around my neck which I can pull up if my cheeks get too cold.

However if you really want a good rain jacket look at the She Shell from Ground Effect (www.groundeffect.co.nz). This jacket has pit zips, a roll away hood and packs into it's pocket and has a wait band to attach it. Comes in hi viz colours and members of my cycle club swear by them. If fact a whole group have orange ones.

I have a cycling specific rain jacket and rain pants. I mainly wear those in the winter as the outer shell wind blocking layer, and try to avoid riding in heavy rain. (It's a Phantom but I don't see that one here anymore...the current Phantom is not water resistant.) It's gore-tex and I did learn that it looses its water proofness after a couple years but if you toss it in the dryer for a little bit the heat reactivates that.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

I have a Showers Pass jacket. Not sure which one, as I got it very cheap on some weird web site. I think it's the "commuter" version.
    I have only tested it once, and it was far above the old plastic-like Performance one I have. I use that one for regular rain wear.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

This is a useful thread. I am going to ride a charity ride on this coming Saturday which will start out cool and progress to a little warmer and WINDY (if the weather man doesn't change his mind). Kiwi Stoker, I'm thinking your approach is probably going to work well for me. If it gets too rainy on my road bike I probably will get skittish--kind of like my bike.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5 WSD

2011 Trek FX7.2--What can I say? It was on sale!

I already have arm warmers, and i will try to find the showers pass stuff. when i went look for water proof things that were light everyhing was like 300. But its probably a good investment piece. I am still losing weight and didn't want to go for an XL when i may be down to L in a week or two. Maybe I should still order up so there is more room for layers! thank you everyone for the advice!

Now I know i can somewhat confidently ride in rain it may be worth investing in the gear, because that is just more times i can ride! Now i just need someone to tell m how i should treat my bike post rain. Im still pretty unclear on a lot of general maintenance, I do dry it off, and brush of mud, but i am unsure of the gears/chain after the rain

Quote Originally Posted by Meowkungpow View Post
    I already have arm warmers, and i will try to find the showers pass stuff. when i went look for water proof things that were light everyhing was like 300. But its probably a good investment piece. I am still losing weight and didn't want to go for an XL when i may be down to L in a week or two. Maybe I should still order up so there is more room for layers! thank you everyone for the advice!

Now I know i can somewhat confidently ride in rain it may be worth investing in the gear, because that is just more times i can ride! Now i just need someone to tell m how i should treat my bike post rain. Im still pretty unclear on a lot of general maintenance, I do dry it off, and brush of mud, but i am unsure of the gears/chain after the rain
    After a rainy ride, the chain and cassette will need to be washed and re-lubed. Grab a bottle of degreaser (or degreaser concentrate, and mix up according to the instructions) and either a rag (or several) or one of those chain-cleaning contraptions. You want the chain to be silver again, rather than black. (You won't get it to factory brightness again, but get close.) Then clean the cassette and get all the gunk out of there. Wipe off the chain rings too. Then relube the chain with your choice of lube, and you're good to go. (Just don't put too much on there. A drop or two on each "bump" should do it.)
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I live in Oregon where it rains a lot. I bought the REI brand of waterproof pants. They sell pants that have a special reinforced area on the inner right leg (presumably to resist wearing out riding the bike, crank, chain, etc.). I also have an Endura brand "Luminite" biking jacket that has a built in flashing light on the back of the jacket. I wore both of these during a 35 mile, downpour with heavy winds ride and stayed completely dry. Well, my feet & hair got wet. Only thing about the jacket is that it doesn't allow your perspiration to "breathe" out and it can end up getting damp/wet on the inside. Most waterproof jackets will say "Breatheable" but I'd say most don't breathe well, so it's a trade off. I waited until the Endura jacket was on sale at my LBS because it was last years model and saved a lot. Hope this helps.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls & looks like work" - Thomas Edison