Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I think I know what I want now. Can you help me find it?

To disable ads, please log-in.

At the end of last season I bought myself a new road bike. I had ridden a straight bar bike for over 20 years and decided to try something "new". Because of some chronic neck and shoulder problems, this may not have been a good idea and I've been re-examining my riding style and needs.

My older bike is just fine on the road. What I'm thinking I need is a bike to go the other direction. Something to ride on the packed dirt and crushed gravel canal paths. Not a mountain bike, and no front suspension. Something like my old Trek FX (which was stolen, and I think the new ones have a different design). Slightly wider tires (28-32's, maybe), and smaller frame and wheels. I'm 5'0".

I actually worked with a Bike Friday consultant and put together the right bike. But then I got scared about spending so much on a bike without being able to test ride. We looked at a Soma Buena Vista, but again, no opportunity to test ride. Cannondale has the "Quick" series which looks like a possibility, and there's the Surly with a high standover.

I'm still tempted to order the Friday.

I'd go with the Friday.
    But that is not from experience or knowledge or anything, you know, helpful.
    I've been very happy with my FX. Mine is the Women Specific Design. I use hybrid tires, 32 or 38 depending. I'm taller than you are but I had a friend with the same bike who is 5'0".
    I agree with the anxiety of ordering something without getting to test ride it first.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Oh my - that plum color is perfect! That's all I needed to see I was thinking of the Pacer (with a straight bar), but this is worth looking into. I've looked at (online) the Trek FX and the Specialized Vita (which may be the women's version of the Sirrus, which I already own). Oh, and the Terry Symmetry. These are just the things that popped into my head because I'm familiar with them. That's why I love all sorts of suggestions to introduce me to new ideas.

I really like the Troll. The bike could serve a lot of purposes, depending on how you set it up. If I didn't already have a touring bike, I'd have a serious case of bike lust.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

My partner has a Troll and it is a really fun bike to ride. I wouldn't call his as snappy as my Cross Check but that probably has more to do with all the racks and bags on his than the bike itself. It can be set up as upright as you want. I would really like one someday as a commuter/do anything bike.
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    2003 Cannondale Bad Boy
    Motobecane Nobly (60's or 70's)

Ooh. I like the Troll. And I love the name. (But aren't most trolls surly? )
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

You might talk to Bike Friday about your concerns. They usually have a network of people who are willing to let you test ride their bikes (private people). We did that when we bought ours. They've changed what was a really sweet referral plan, so there might be less incentive now, but it's worth asking...I do love my Friday. I do not know if I would want my Friday as my main bike FWIW. I know others here feel differently.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    I did test ride a Surly Cross Check, and I found it light and springy, and handled well. Did you test-ride one? Which Surly are you referring to?

The Surly Troll is their non-suspension mountain bike frameset. I know you said not a mountain bike, but it's not like other MB's. More a flatbar adventure bike with no suspension. You can put thinner tires on it, but I'm not really a tire expert, so can't say what size. May have a lower stand over, comes with flatbar setup, and can be purchased as a frameset. If it handles as well as the Surly, is worth checking into. (If anyone knows, Skyking?)

Plus, it comes in a yummy plum-color this year.
    That Troll looks like a cool bike...if I didn't already have a rigid steel MTB (1995 Trek 830) set up as a general purpose rig I'd be checking it out.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Thanks for the replies. The computers at work weren't working well last night so I couldn't reply sooner.

This is what is so fun about this forum. I got ideas that may not have occurred to me otherwise. Going along with the Troll trend (because I love Scandinavia and Norway is on my list for next year), I also looked at Soma's website and found the B-Side: http://www.somafab.com/archives/product/b-side The LBS nearby that wants to build a bike for me sells both Surly and Soma, so I think I can get an honest opinion from him. I'll pay him a visit later this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
    That Troll looks like a cool bike...if I didn't already have a rigid steel MTB (1995 Trek 830) set up as a general purpose rig I'd be checking it out.
    I just had my Trek 720 fixed up a bit and there's an 820 on Craigslist in my neighborhood. In blue. Must...resist...

Just to throw another one in the mix-the salsa vaya would fit what you want. I love my vaya -a great all-around bike. The smallest sizes come with 26 inch wheels and drop bars. The vaya 3 model has triple crankset. Hope you get just what you need.

I checked out the Vaya a few days ago (I think that's actually how this search may have started). There are something like five left in the world in my size. The dealer said they're kind of hard to get Glad to know you like yours so maybe someday I can plan ahead and order in January.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I agree that the Bike Friday option might merit a bit more attention. I didn't ride mine before I got it, but it was built based on my road bike. I ride the Bike Friday alot and it is wonderful. Don't dismiss it out of hand.

Quote Originally Posted by IBrakeforPastry View Post
    I checked out the Vaya a few days ago (I think that's actually how this search may have started). There are something like five left in the world in my size. The dealer said they're kind of hard to get Glad to know you like yours so maybe someday I can plan ahead and order in January.
    We sell both Soma and Surly too, I would lean toward a Surly - just think they frames are put together better. Troll's are pretty this year for sure. A disc trucker is also a perfect option for what you are thinking. I rode a disc trucker with moustache bars on a 40 mile dirt/gravel road ride this spring and it was a super nice ride.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    What is your size?
    Probably a 44 or 46 (if it comes in a 46, I don't remember. I'm getting confused with all the bikes I've researched)

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    I agree that the Bike Friday option might merit a bit more attention. I didn't ride mine before I got it, but it was built based on my road bike. I ride the Bike Friday alot and it is wonderful. Don't dismiss it out of hand.
    It's not dismissed yet. I keep thinking how nice it would be to have the versatility, and the ability to throw it in the back of my car. And the consultant spent so much time with me on the phone that I'm sure it would be a great build.

I'm off to the Soma/Surly dealer now to hopefully have a chat before the lunchtime rush. It's in the neighborhood, easy walk, easier ride.