Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Recovery, First 30 Mile Trip and Bike Shorts

To disable ads, please log-in.

Loving my new Ridley X-BOW the more I ride it. Once you find the right bike and one that isn't constantly having problems, cycling takes on an entire new meaning and joy. For once I'm not struggling to get a bike on the rack or to get it into the car. Steel may be real, but aluminum is easier on the back. I do miss disc brakes though from my Mukluk.

Did my first 30 mile trip the other day! Took me two hours and 45 minutes and had a great time. My triceps completely gave out or I could have gone farther. The last 3 miles were agony because of it. I've struggled for the past 2 years or so just to get more than a few miles at a time so 30 miles is a HUGE milestone.

I put my road shorts on for the first time in a couple of years. Wow. What a difference from baggy mountain bike ones. My biggest gripe is no matter how much you spend on bike shorts, Lycra/Spandex is still easily ruined if you snag it on something. I had snagged them while sitting on the front porch a couple of years ago and just hand sewed the hole back up and never wore them again fearing they'd rip. I'd like to invest in another couple of pairs, but worry about the same issue of snagging.

How do you recover from long rides or is exhaustion normal after a couple of hours of riding? I get a dull headache and feel a little sick despite eating/drinking/resting afterwards.

sounds like you are getting dehydrated and possibly bonking - make sure you not only eat and drink after your ride, but during it as well.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by Bethany1 View Post
    How do you recover from long rides or is exhaustion normal after a couple of hours of riding? I get a dull headache and feel a little sick despite eating/drinking/resting afterwards.

I second the motion that you may be dehydrated. This blog post really opened my eyes about hydration and fueling.

PS. Congrats on the new bike!

Congrats on your new mileage!!! I still remember when I thought that 10miles was a lot (which was one year ago).
    2014 Liv Lust
    2013 Specialized Fate Expert with carbon wheelset (sold)
    2012 Specialized Amira Elite
    2010 Santa Cruz Juliana with R kit and Crampon pedals (sold)

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle (sold)

Not eating or hydrating well before a ride is a recipe for disaster (or at least feeling crummy), I've found. And eat during a ride too. Electrolytes are important, especially as it warms up. A little caffeine post-ride helps me too.

Granted, you'll probably feel it after a ride that's significantly longer or harder than your past rides.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2600.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	16326

Here's my cross bike: Ridley X-BOW. I keep thinking it's hydration/food issues, but I eat/drink plenty. Short of buying a scale and weighing myself before/after a ride, I guess I haven't figured it all out. Just wondered if it was normal to feel really tired (not I'm going do die and puke tired) and a little lightheaded/headache after a ride or a few hours after riding. Allergy med does help some so figure it might be that.

Looking forward to my first sponsored ride on the 22nd for a quarter century up in Lincoln. Riding with a friend. Debating on the Muk or the Ridley. It's all flat so it really depends on how attention I want given the Muk always gets plenty of attention. She has a fat bike as well, so we'd really draw attention to ourselves. LOL.

Bethany - congratulations on the new bike and a great ride! On the topic of road shorts snagging, have you considered a slightly different material than the normal lycra? I wear Louis Garneau Zone 3K shorts, which are more mesh than spandex, and I haven't had them snag or pill at all. I also find the waistband infinitely more comfortable than everything else I tried.
    Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, and do whatever you want all the time, you could miss it.

2010 Fuji Roubaix 1.0
    2007 Fuji Absolute 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Bethany1 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2600.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	16326

Here's my cross bike: Ridley X-BOW. I keep thinking it's hydration/food issues, but I eat/drink plenty. Short of buying a scale and weighing myself before/after a ride, I guess I haven't figured it all out. Just wondered if it was normal to feel really tired (not I'm going do die and puke tired) and a little lightheaded/headache after a ride or a few hours after riding. Allergy med does help some so figure it might be that.

Looking forward to my first sponsored ride on the 22nd for a quarter century up in Lincoln. Riding with a friend. Debating on the Muk or the Ridley. It's all flat so it really depends on how attention I want given the Muk always gets plenty of attention. She has a fat bike as well, so we'd really draw attention to ourselves. LOL.
    Even if you think you are eating enough before/after, I've found that eating DURING the ride is really good for me. It's not easy in my case due to allergies but I am bringing cheese (babybels like when I used to go on trips in Europe- they are fine for the length of a ride esp. in a trunk bag) on the bike now for LONG rides and gu or something similar can be a lifesaver. On anything longer than 20 miles, I've committed to eating. I have to FORCE myself to eat properly after. Otherwise, I seriously feel awful the next AM. That's what happened yesterday after my 42 miles. I didn't eat enough and felt it all day.

Your bike is beautiful Congrats on the mileage. Before you know it that 30 miles will come fast. And I am jealous of your Mukluk. I have wanted one for ages but have absolutely NO reason to buy one.
    ***proud Hoosier, statistics nerd, and mom to a headstrong toddler***
    ****one car family and loving it!****

Owned by:
    Le Monstre Vert - 2013 Surly Cross-check
    Chessie, Scottish Terrier
    Bonzai, Catahoula Leopard Dog

You don't need a reason to buy a fat bike. Just do it when you get the chance. You won't regret it especially since the new ones are lighter and have better components. Muk rides like a Cadillac on wheels but a Pugsley rides like a mountain bike. The 9:zero:7's ride like Cadillacs as well. I struggle on hills when I mountain bike, but it's so much fun it's worth the extra effort.

Love the bike shorts. When I get a chance, hopefully I can get a pair or two.

I'll get the food/water sorted out especially now that summer is here. Last thing I need is heat stroke/exhaustion added to the list. Thanks for all the help.

Definitely get the shorts! I die without them. I used to not put them on for short rides but short of commuting (which I sometimes do in shorts), I pretty much always wear them.

And I really, really want one of those bikes. Good to hear it rides purdy. I don't have any cash flow for it now but I promised myself when I get a job I will look into one. I will no doubt have a million bikes.
    ***proud Hoosier, statistics nerd, and mom to a headstrong toddler***
    ****one car family and loving it!****

Owned by:
    Le Monstre Vert - 2013 Surly Cross-check
    Chessie, Scottish Terrier
    Bonzai, Catahoula Leopard Dog

Is it possible that you have a sugar issue? I keep glucose tablets in my jersey pocket if I'm going to be out longer than 15-20 miles. Even eating right and staying hydrated sometimes isn't enough, sometimes I'm fine and sometimes my sugar is just off. Orange juice helps to if you can't talk the chalky tablets. I check ebay or the LBS occasionally for sales on shorts, I've found last years shorts or one's with a slight defect for way less. In the beginning I thought spending $80-100 on shorts was insane and got some really nice one's on ebay, the tie was cut in one and there was a mark on the other pair but they still work great. Congrats on your 30 mile milestone, I was really proud when I hit that to.