Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Bike to work day- who's in?

To disable ads, please log-in.

It's this coming Wednesday May 9 for us. I'm riding in with a large group ride again this year- last year, the group had a few hundred riders. Can't wait

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Our city's was yesterday --which I've always thought it's just a touch too chilly early for this.

I didn't wait around for the employees from my organization to ride to the central pancake breakfast event..where I was. Apparently over 3,800 cyclists passing by the energy pit stops and breakfast. (getting better but still low in my opinion for a city our size).

maybe I should have stuck around since there was a bomb threat to our workplace building.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I think ours is on the 15th or 17th. One of the two.

I'm planning on doing it. I just need to ride the route I'm planning on taking. There are a couple different ones that are possibilities. One is more direct, but spends more time on a road I don't want to deal with. The other is less direct but mostly neighborhood roads and bike path with a short trip on a more major street. Only problem is that it involves crossing a busy road at the end.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I will bike to work on all of those days everyone has mentioned. For solidarity. (And so I can get to work.) No one's doing a bike to work day around here. The only one to do it is me and at some point I realized I can't organize everything. So I've picked 2 things-- the bike class, and a 4th of July bike ride that is part of the official city festivities. Hopefully momentum will pick up and in a few years we'll have Bike to Work Days and Bike Month and all that fun! In the meantime I'll vicariously enjoy yours.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I've helped out for Bike to Work Week in spring and fall when I lived in Vancouver. Vancouver expanded 2 (if not also 3!) Bike Weeks throughout the year.

Later this May, when we visit our families in Toronto, we'll be taking in the lst day of Bike to Work Week, in Toronto. There's several big group commuting rides from several directions of Metro Toronto to converge into 1 downtown location. Hope it doesn't rain to deter many cyclists. Lookin' forward to it...I participated in my first Bike to Work Day (now it's wk.) over 15 years ago when I lived in Toronto.

Except for Vancouver, the Bike to Work Week stuff tends to locate their energy pit stops/information tables in the downtown core locations or mid-town. It's a serious challenge to bring in the numbers in the surburban areas.

Perhaps other folks here in the big cities have different experiences.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 05-05-2013 at 10:19 AM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Ours is Thursday, and since I ride right past the pit stop everyday, I'll stop and see what's going on.... I think there might actually be snacks this year, but not expecting much. I've been extremely underwhelmed by Philly's efforts the last couple years-- for a city this size, with a pretty decent bike infrastructure/organization and lots of commuters it's pretty sad that the only 'event' has been riding down the street with the mayor for his annual photo-op.

So far this year I've only been working 1 1/2 days a week at the bike shop, but next week I'll be going back to 4 days a week, so I will most definitely be biking in on as many days as I can.
    Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling. ~ James E.Starrs

My bicycle jewelry...
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Winterwoman...f=pr_shop_more

I'd bike to actual work, but that's a little trickier than I want to deal with. Biking to campus it is.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I've been biking to work ever since the glacier under the pedestrian bridge overpass melted. Normally I'd have started 3 or 4 weeks earlier. Getting a ride in and walking home seemed safer this spring.
    I swear, when the next ice age comes, that stretch will be where one of the glaciers starts up. We still have snow on some parts of the river bank here.
    Queen of the sea beasts

Sadly I won't be able to participate this Friday, I've an 8:00 hair appointment 25 miles from the office... Considering how little riding I've done this year, and how little of it has been in traffic, that is probably a good choice. The weather looks like it is finally headed the right direction!