Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Help me with a training plan and logistics

To disable ads, please log-in.

I want to do a century. It'll be self-supported (because of work--and all my coworkers taking weekends until July--I can't do the organized ones), on the rail-trail, so it'll be flat. Debating which bike to take. Leaning toward the CX bike with slick tires on it, because it fits better. The only downside is that that bike sucks up more energy over the long haul (or it feels like it does) than the road bike.

Had my knee not exploded back in September this wouldn't be an issue. I had been doing 40-50 milers regularly with slightly longer rides (60-70) thrown in there. Now I'm doing 15-20 3-4 days a week, but haven't ventured much further than that because of a lack of time (and allergies). A 25-mile ride for some reason had me exhausted.

I don't know what the best way to ramp my mileage back up before July, especially considering the fact that I work weekends. Once this month is over I think I'll have a little more flexibility since I won't have experiments to do. Just writing. Suggestions?
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Allergies can CAUSE exhaustion, you know. That and the brain fog are really my most debilitating allergy symptoms. But I agree, if they're affecting you that badly, it might be time to see about immunotherapy. Or at very least a scrip for Singulair (leukotriene blocker), which deals with those symptoms much better than antihistamines do. It's way cheaper since it went generic a year or two ago.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

How important is it that you get your 100 miles? I came to a realization at some point that 100 miles on a road bike is not the same thing as 100 miles on my sturdy commuter. If I spent 7 or 8 hrs on a bike I could do 100 miles on a road bike but only 70 miles on my commuter. Either way it's 7 hrs on the bike at the same effort level. So I quit being so hung up on 100 miles. I focus on hours instead.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

I am confused as to what you want to achieve? Just the 100? Is your rail trial multi use? I have a hard time imaging wanting to do 100 miles on that, with kids and horses and strollers. Also why July? Why not later? Why not ride on the road? The best and only way to ramp up mileage is just to get on your bike and ride. If time limits that, then adjust your plans. I get the idea of having a goal, but you have to ask yourself why you want this goal? As it is not an organised ride, you can fix the day and date for whenever.

Everybody is different.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Skippyak View Post
    I am confused as to what you want to achieve? Just the 100? Is your rail trial multi use? I have a hard time imaging wanting to do 100 miles on that, with kids and horses and strollers. Also why July? Why not later? Why not ride on the road? The best and only way to ramp up mileage is just to get on your bike and ride. If time limits that, then adjust your plans. I get the idea of having a goal, but you have to ask yourself why you want this goal? As it is not an organised ride, you can fix the day and date for whenever.
    It's a multi-use trail, but between the main access points, it's mostly cyclists. And maybe we're just really polite here, but I've had relatively few problems.
    Basically, I want to ride the total length of this trail (it's quite long, and it comes out to be about 100 miles, possibly more), as it's what got me to fall in love with riding. It's been a goal of mine to do it before I left Ohio, and this summer will be my last chance for a long time.
    Last edited by Owlie; 05-05-2013 at 08:53 PM.

Good goal, I am assuming it is pave the entire way? Perhaps the tires on the CX are the issue that make you feel the energy zap. I would choose the bike that fits the best, especially if the trail is basically flat so gearing isn't an issue.
    I switched tires last spring and was shocked at the difference - all good. I ride a wide tire 650B X 40 and have the Grand Bois Hetre's, the rolling resistance is so so much better than the Rivendell Maxie Fastie's I used to ride.

Also for a self supported 100, think about your handlebars, do you have a few positions so you can move around a bit while pedaling.

I admire anyone doing 100 miles in the mid-west in the middle of the summer

I believe that if you do 25-35 regularly then throw in a 50 a few times before you go, doing a 100 is totally achievable. I am not a fast rider, a believer in slow and steady, steady and slow. Thus I am not a fan of charity rides - to many people who think it is a race. They stress me out but riding a 100 by myself or with a few others is a lovely way to spend a long day.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

I personally find the difference between 50 miles and 100 is huge, and I need to do longer rides to ramp up for a century. So if I were you I would use one day per week to do progressively longer training rides, up to 80 miles long if possible. That will also give you a chance to compare the two bikes over longer distances to see if the added comfort of the CX bike is worth the added energy it takes to ride it.

If you don't already know the potential reststops along the trail, I would research them in advance, to figure out the best opportunities for food, drink and bathroom stops. The less you have to carry on your bike, the easier it will be.

Also I understand why you're planning this in July but if the trail has long unshaded sections you'll need to figure out if they will be a problem for you. There's a nice MUT here that is 45 miles long and parts of it are lovely but other sections have no shade at all, and they just bake in the sun during the summer and are quite unbearable in the middle of the day.

Good luck!!

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I'm with NY Biker. I need a couple training rides in the 70-80 mile range before I can comfortably do a century.

I'd plan on starting at first light if you can and if it's safe to be on the trail that early. I've done some long rides under the heat of the mid-day Midwestern sun (the RAIN ride being the worst of them), and the more you can get done before noon, the better off you'll be. You really have to be diligent about hydration (and by hydration, I mean water and electrolytes) when it's hot like that. And make sure someone is keeping some track of your progress (perhaps you can text someone at regular intervals).
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Can you adjust the fit of the road bike (cheaply) to simulate the fit of the CX bike? Sometimes just adjusting the saddle up/down, fore/aft or swapping/flipping the stem can make huge differences.
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

There are several little towns along the way with rest-stop potential. I know a few have cafes, and one has an awesome lunch stop.

Road bike has been fitted, so it's really close. I think some of it is psychological--on the CX I'm starting with a blank slate. (For example, I have a hard time getting my shoulders out of my ears on the road bike. On the CX bike, no problem.) The CX bike currently has Small Block 8s on it, so I'll see what switching it to Gatorskins does.

Yep, definitely starting early. There aren't many long treeless stretches, except at the beginning. I need to pick up a bento box thing for extra electrolytes and food.