Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pantyhose???

To disable ads, please log-in.

I like skirts. I hate the shoes I have to wear with them. Nowadays I pretty much only wear a skirt when it's sandal season. Seriously, if I could wear foot-shaped shoes with a dress, I'd wear them a lot more.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I probably could wear a lot of different types of dresses, skirts --provided they aren't too long and proportioned for a short person. But that means I have to fuss over if other things match with the dress, skirt. Then there's cost...for something that might go out of style soon. A skirt is less riskier, price-wise, in general.

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showt...ht=dress+shoes I'm wearing pantyhose here. It would be inappropriate for me to have bare legs. I realize that as one gets older, one cares less and less what others think, but I want to be ...respectful of myself.

I can't imagine for situations wearing a dress jacket, skirt and...bare legs at a meeting and delivering a presentation to a bunch of managers. Maybe I sound old. And it's ironic that I say this because I probably have good legs, meaning legs that have been exercised, etc.

I do wear dress pants 30% of the time at work. 50% black jeans. Rest skirts. I have 1 pr. of dress pants that I wear. Yea, I'm boring. I don't care. I'm in a division that has a mixture of geospatial mapping staff, support staff, project management staff, business analysts, etc. I've gone to meetings with people from our engineering, surveying services also. It's a pragmatic group that prides itself on technical expertise and more analytical in approach. Some of the supervisors walk around in their Converse running shoes with their shirts untucked... Neat, business casual wear. So bare legs, dressier skirt, etc. is noticed.

Nearly 90% of my work clothing, are in solid colours. 10% have a little design motif on the top, etc. Being small, short, I think it's better to wear solid colours for emphasis and to me...for visual clarity.

So different from other more formal workplaces from a decade and previous from long ago. I just haven't paid attention to pantyhose/less trends. After falling off my bike, or scratching my leg(s) accidentally somewhere during a ride, etc., having bare legs at work or for a wedding, is furthest from my mind.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 05-04-2013 at 07:27 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I always wear pantyhose with a dress or skirt. Seems like I'm the only woman I know who does, but I don't much care what other people do or think. For me, I simply feel more comfortable with them. It smooths out the tone of my legs (which are veiny and often scratched/bruised), and most of all, I hate the feeling of bare feet in shoes. Feet sweat, the heel of the shoe rubs a blister on my skin, etc. I need a buffer between my feet and the shoe. If my skirt is long enough, I'll wear knee-highs instead of full pantyhose. Having something on my feet is the biggie. I don't know how anyone can wear shoes on bare feet, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I like skirts. I hate the shoes I have to wear with them. Nowadays I pretty much only wear a skirt when it's sandal season. Seriously, if I could wear foot-shaped shoes with a dress, I'd wear them a lot more.
    I agree, I have broad feet too and most firm dressy shoes are torture. But I've acquired some casual style knee-length dresses and skirts over the last few years that look fine with softer casual shoes, sort of crosses between athletic-style shoes and flat summer shoes. These are a great compromise to me, and some of the most comfortable clothing I own.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    I'm the same way...it's so much easier to find comfortable sandals that look good with a skirt than to find other shoes (although I did find some tall boots this winter that are completely flat and are pretty comfortable).
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

You can. http://www.vivobarefoot.com/us/ladie...dies-2013.html

I wear these pretty much ALL winter. I don't use the strap over the top (I just step on it) and they look like ballet flats except that they are more foot shaped.

You are welcome.

On the pantyhose debate - I opt not to wear them in most situations but I do so by choosing skirts and footwear that allow me to skip it. I do not have nice legs, so short skirts and heels are not appropriate for me anyway. That said, if I was in a professional situation (like back when I worked for Polo Ralph Lauren and it mattered what I wore), I did wear them.

As Stacy and Clinton say - opt for either opaque in non-skin colors, or super duper sheer. With today's technology, pantyhose can be lovely - they are super sheer, light weight, and of excellent quality that keeps them from stretching out or bagging. They do snag though. And they do wonders if your legs are not toned, even in color and young.

In fact, when I was at Polo, our dress code specifically stated that hosiery was not necessary in the summer (we were in a resort location where casual was the norm anyway) unless your legs were not presentable. If your legs were not in good condition (ie, scraped up from a mountain biking accident or bright red from sunburn), you had to either wear hosiery or pants. No exceptions. I still use this as my guide when deciding if I can wear bare legs.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    Thanks! I especially like the shoe comparo, looks like they fit similar to Lems (which aren't on their chart, but based on my men's Nikes, anyway). Except ... the comparo tells me what Euro size I want, and the shopping site sells in US sizes. Wish they had a local store I could try some on, but I might just go ahead and order. I like the way they look.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by KittiPaws View Post
    I always wear pantyhose with a dress or skirt. Seems like I'm the only woman I know who does, but I don't much care what other people do or think. For me, I simply feel more comfortable with them. It smooths out the tone of my legs (which are veiny and often scratched/bruised), and most of all, I hate the feeling of bare feet in shoes. Feet sweat, the heel of the shoe rubs a blister on my skin, etc. I need a buffer between my feet and the shoe. If my skirt is long enough, I'll wear knee-highs instead of full pantyhose. Having something on my feet is the biggie. I don't know how anyone can wear shoes on bare feet, but that's just me.
    Not just you -- me too!!

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Thanks! I especially like the shoe comparo, looks like they fit similar to Lems (which aren't on their chart, but based on my men's Nikes, anyway). Except ... the comparo tells me what Euro size I want, and the shopping site sells in US sizes. Wish they had a local store I could try some on, but I might just go ahead and order. I like the way they look.
    Wow, I didn't even notice that they've changed their sizing! All my my vivobarefoot shoes (I have many, many styles) are 38...I don't even know what I wear in US sizing!

The Kali's I have in black and a light tan that I don't think they carry any more. The black ones - I'm on my third pair. I've worn them almost daily for the past 4 years now! My newest pair I save for nicer occasions so they don't get so junked up and I keep the older ones for back-up.

I really want a pair of the new Jing Jing and a pair of the Off Road Hi for hiking but I haven't taken the plunge yet.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

I wear pantyhose all the time and I live in South Mississippi, down here where the dirt stops and the water starts. The humidity in the summertime is stifling! Bus pantyhose keeps my jeans from sticking to my legs and lets all my other fashion choices slide over them as if it was only 80 degrees.

I rarely wear skirts but when I do -- yes to pantyhose unless I'm wearing sandals. I cannot stand bare feet in shoes.

I too wear pantyhose during the colder season. But they must be lycra ones, not the "cheap" nylon that rips just looking at it. I generally wear nude or black ones. Depending of skirt I wear. And I want them with the nylon with toe reinforcement as I hate a nail going through them. I also have anklet nylons to wear in my work high heels when wearing dress pants.

Off work, I don't wear pantyhose, unless going to a party that requires a bit more dressing up. But that is very rare. I stay away from those. Enough of it from work. hihi

But as soon as weather is warm enough, adios stockings! I work in a law firm so it is pretty conservative but they are not tight on dress code. As long as you don't come in flip-flop and jeans (other than jeans Friday) or mini skirt, they are not fussy.