Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Becoming a Supple Leopard review (long): Mobility/Stretching resource

To disable ads, please log-in.

I apologize in advance for the length of this review, but I think this is a very important and useful resource so wanted to draw attention to it. This book was just released a week ago - and to give you an idea - all of the 181 reviews on Amazon so far are 5 star.

Becoming a Supple Leopard: The Ultimate Guide to Resolving Pain, Preventing Injury, and Optimizing Athletic Performance by Dr. Kelly Starrett (PhD in Physical Therapy, owner of San Francisco Crossfit , strength and conditioning coach) is an incredible resource for those seeking to understand more about human mobility and movement AND how to address our own aches and pains.

His knowledge is incredibly vast and spends a lot of time traveling around the country giving seminars to Crossfit coaches and athletes. He is a strong believer that most issues related to athletic performance as well as aches and pains can be self-treated and this book is an excellent reference. The book itself is beautiful, with hundreds of clear photos, the text is directed to the non-professional. It also helps to understand just WHY we shouldn't allow our knees to come inwards during a squat, how to brace our spines properly, how to free up our tissues that might be tacked down from any number of reasons (like spending too much time bent over), and how different body systems affect others (just to name a few). He has a website (www.mobilitywod.com) on which there are hundreds of videos where he demonstrates all of the techniques in the book and them some - it is easier to find things in the book This book really is a must-have for all coaches and athletes - regardless of your sport of choice.

There is a lot of good information here for cyclists. The base of his approach is simply this "All human beings should be able to perform basic maintenance on themselves" (a quote from his blog). He has a knack of breaking things down to an understandable level, and most of the exercises found in this book (and website) require no more advanced equipment than a foam roller and a couple of Lacross balls. What he has to teach goes well beyond the Crossfit community.

I've a host of mobility problems related to old injuries - not only has my trainer suggested many of the very same techniques that Dr. Kelly advises - I've had good results. The proof is in the pudding, as I continue my training AND rehab efforts, I've noticed that while many of his suggested approaches may not feel good - they ARE effective and I tend to see results from them quickly. In the end, I am coming to a much better understanding of how my body actually works AND how to help it do what I ask of it - and THAT is key - regardless of if I am asking my body to ride 100 miles or to deadlift well over my body weight.

The book isn't inexpensive, but it is available from many places for <$40. Considering the size of the book, quality of the binding and the photography, it is a surprise that it isn't a lot more expensive. The Mobility WOD website I linked to above has a lot of the same information in the form of videos, what you don't get there is is the clear discussion of why all of this matters. The website is a great resource anyway, I've been using it for months. It is a bit chaotic, but useful.
    Last edited by Catrin; 04-29-2013 at 07:54 AM.

I just bought it. I am having a lot of back, hip, and spine issues. I know what is exacerbating this, but since my PT works the same hours as I do, I can't see him. The exercises he gave me are keeping it slightly at bay, but I need help.

Thanks.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Also check out the videos on the Mobility WOD website, the website is a bit chaotic but LOTS of good videos. I must admit I had you in mind when I posted the review My neck and shoulder is likely going to be a persistent problem, which is why I broke down and bought the book, as well as a couple of mobility tools for use at home.
    Last edited by Catrin; 04-29-2013 at 04:09 PM.

Thanks, Catrin. I did email my PT, to see if I could get in to see him next Tuesday, when I don't have to work as late.
    There's an awesome LMT who practices right near my house (she came on a ride I led last fall), but insurance doesn't pay for that.... however, I might break down and use my FSA, if I need to, as she works exclusively with runners and cyclists.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Thanks, Catrin. I did email my PT, to see if I could get in to see him next Tuesday, when I don't have to work as late.
    There's an awesome LMT who practices right near my house (she came on a ride I led last fall), but insurance doesn't pay for that.... however, I might break down and use my FSA, if I need to, as she works exclusively with runners and cyclists.
    Excellent! FSA was the only way that I could see my PT earlier this year, but I can't afford to continue seeing him. Hence the advent of this book...

I have an appt. with my pt next week. He had time today, but I have an extra person to see today. He said he remembered me well and he will be expanding his hours soon as they have expanded the office space he shares with a chiropractor.
    Looking forward to reading the book, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I have an appt. with my pt next week. He had time today, but I have an extra person to see today. He said he remembered me well and he will be expanding his hours soon as they have expanded the office space he shares with a chiropractor.
    Looking forward to reading the book, though.
    I think you will find it very helpful in different ways. It is also nice to see pictures on proper form for different lifts and movements. Neither of us knows what will be thrown at us in our gym work and it helps to understand the foundation of how to brace our spines properly so we can not only perform the movement most effectively, but also in a way that won't tweak our injuries. Would I have bought this book without my list of mobility/injury problems? Probably not, and that would have been my loss.

Good luck with the appointment, and glad to hear you were able to get in!

Thanks for sharing. Wow, impressive reviews on amazon (192 of 195 are 5-stars...and the other 3 reviews are 3- and 4-stars).
    Quote Originally Posted by Catrin
    how to free up our tissues that might be tacked down from any number of reasons (like spending too much time bent over)
    This sure caught my attention. "spending too much time bent over"...such as on a bicycle. Yup!
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Quote Originally Posted by Melalvai View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Wow, impressive reviews on amazon (192 of 195 are 5-stars...and the other 3 reviews are 3- and 4-stars).

This sure caught my attention. "spending too much time bent over"...such as on a bicycle. Yup!
    There is a lot in the first few chapters about proper body position in general - so many problems are caused by not sitting properly, movements where we are overly extended or we become so accustomed to our shoulders not being in a stable position that it leads to other things. Not cycling specific of course, but so much of it is usable in many ways. My main concern right now is that I don't reverse all of the work I've done in t-spine mobility and shoulder stability/flexibility by spending too much time on the bike without taking corrective measures and cross-training to balance it out.

Thank you, Catrin, for your thoughtful review! I saw the announcement pop up on the mobilitywod site the other day, but wasn't sure if the book would have more/better information than (trying to find it) on the blog. But, following my upcoming knee surgery, I definitely want to get my hips and hip flexors sorted. Thanks to your review, I'll probably go pick it up now; please make sure you get your commission.

-- gnat!
    Windsor: 2010 S-Works Ruby
    Pantysgawn: 2011 S-Works Stumpjumper 29er
    Whiz!: 2013 S-Works Crux (Singlespeed)
    Boucheron: 2009 S-Works Tricross
    Haloumi: 2013 Tern P7i
    Kraft: 2009 Singlecross
    Gouda: 2005 Electra Betty
    Roquefort: 1974 Stella SX-73

Quote Originally Posted by gnat23 View Post
    Thank you, Catrin, for your thoughtful review! I saw the announcement pop up on the mobilitywod site the other day, but wasn't sure if the book would have more/better information than (trying to find it) on the blog. But, following my upcoming knee surgery, I definitely want to get my hips and hip flexors sorted. Thanks to your review, I'll probably go pick it up now; please make sure you get your commission.

-- gnat!
    I wish there WAS one You will recognize all of the people on the photos from the videos!

I'm probably going to order one, too, based on your recommendation.

That many reviews in that amount of time ... well, that just shows what internet reviews are worth. One of the threads even has to do with whether the author personally incited the reviewers (as many product manufacturers, restaurant owners, etc., are known to do), or not.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I'm probably going to order one, too, based on your recommendation.

That many reviews in that amount of time ... well, that just shows what internet reviews are worth. One of the threads even has to do with whether the author personally incited the reviewers (as many product manufacturers, restaurant owners, etc., are known to do), or not.
    Indeed.

To be fair to the author however, this book is at least a few months late in being published. Pre-sales have been available since the fall and a lot of people have been eagerly anticipating the release. Go here (first page of the mobility wod website), to see a tongue-in-cheek video review. While it is a less than serious review, it does show that cross-fitters have a sense of humor, it might be odd but it exists

I hate it when people ask stuff like this. But here goes.

If I skip right to the mobility exercises for my particular problem areas, am I missing anything that's going to cause me problems?

I *will* get around to the whole thing. I do understand there's lots of valuable information about problem *prevention* that it's stupid to skip in favor of "cure." But I've gotten an AMAZING amount of benefit just from the scapula organization maneuver ... seriously amazing, even after the first time I tried it.

Read the book for me, please?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

So....
    I found this book to be overwhelming. I did skip the prevention stuff and went right to what I needed. I guess I really don't do well without the 1:1 instruction. I'm not dumb, but looking at pictures doesn't do it for me. And, you had to buy some equipment that I just didn't want to buy. Since I've been back at my PT (now down to every other week), I only need a stability ball and a mat. Everything else is using my own body weight.
    Sometimes I wonder about myself. I can't deal with "do this, do that, train this, blah, blah, blah." I've slacked off a bit on the PT stuff at home, but my body reminds me and then I get right back to it. If I do just the 2-3 things that target my lumbar area, a few times a day, it's OK. The other stuff I only get to 1x a day or maybe a every couple of days. It seems like i was spending all day doing this stuff. The MacKenzie stuff seems to work for me, but I told my PT that I want him to do more manipulation, because it really helps.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura