Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

itchy down there

To disable ads, please log-in.

The last 2 weeks, I've been on/off itchy, down there. I have good days and bad days.

It doesn't get worse or better with riding.
    I don't use soap and I do wear cotton panties.
    I took one of those home PH tests and mine was at 5.0, just the first notch into an 'infection'
    I was on an antibiotic 3 weeks ago.

How long do you think to wait till you go see the gyno?

I guess I'm afraid to go in there and have them tell me its nothing, but then have no recourse for the discomfort. And since I'm 51, the last time I saw the gyno, (6 months ago) she tried to tell my I would eventually have to start taking HRT and that I should stop cycling and take up swimming as it was better for women my age. So really I'm not liking the doctor much right now either.

Get a new doctor. That's crazy.
    But, you don't need a doctor to treat a yeast infection. Go to the pharmacy and get some Monistat. You can get 3 day or one day treatment. Don't need a prescription. And start eating a daily dose of plain Greek yogurt.

Have you tried one of the OTC Monistat kits for yeast infections? Being on antibiotics can often lead to a yeast infection. If that clears it up, then that is what it was. I did have a gyno tell me one time that the 7 day treatment is more effective than the shorter ones, unfortunately.

I am about your age and went to the gyno myself for the first time in years for vaginal irritation, not itching, and because I had developed a cyst after a very long charity ride that I wanted to get checked out. There was nothing wrong, but he prescribed a hormone cream to use, which I haven't gotten filled yet. He says that "all women need it eventually as they age", but my discomfort really isn't that severe and can be relieved after rides with some Vagicaine - now, anyway.

If Monistat doesn't work, then you should go see the doc. You don't want to continue to be uncomfortable.

Grits

2010 Trek 5.2 Madone WSD, SI Diva Gel Flow
    2002 Terry Classic, Terry Liberator

Your doctor needs to join my local cycling club. So many active members, women and men, who are in their 60s and 70s. In fact I tried to latch onto a group of three of them during my ride on Saturday but they were too fast for me. We had a nice chat about their grandchildren when I caught up with them at the rest stop.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Exactly. Most of the people in one of the groups I ride with are 5-15 years older than me. I only hope to still be that fit when I am 70.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I've used Monistat and Canesten at different times --over the counter. Worked for me. I've been cycling for last....22 yrs. Am 54.

Don't delay on trying this.

I've never had a doctor tell me not to cycle because of menopause, post-menopausal reasons.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

+1 on Monistat or Lotrimin OTC. Sounds yeast-ish to me.

But I suppose you do need to swim if you're going to be knocking on Sr Madonna Buder's age-group records.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Thank you ladies, went out and bought some monistat. Didn't think of it at all.

I hate this doc thing, she is younger than me, but really, cycling is bad for you? Really? Do they get kickbacks from drug companies?

Two things.
    She probably doesn't exercise/do any outdoor activity. And, she probably doesn't know anyone over the age of 50 that does.
    Cycling is not bad for you. Sure, you might get some treatable gyn issues from riding, but for a physician to admonish you like this is extremely unprofessional. It is NOT inevitable that older women shrivel up, get fat, and need to be inactive. I had only been going to my gyn for about a year when I developed a lesion because I needed a change in saddle. At that point, she was not a cyclist, but when I told her what it was from, she was like, OK, and I got a new saddle! She was in her early forties and about 150 pounds overweight. She is now closer to 50 and is a tri-athlete and marathon runner who lost all of that weight. I love going there, because she treats me like an athletic woman who just happens to be almost 60. One of my friends stopped going to her, because she pushes a healthy lifestyle. She is the one who suggested I get an E-string t treat thin vaginal membranes/dryness that was impacting my riding as well as sexual stuff. Never, never, never has she suggested I take HRT.
    There are much stricter rules about physicians accepting gifts from drug reps today. That doesn't mean that some doctors don't have their "favorite" drugs and push them because they don't take the time to learn about new things/research.
    You are the consumer; choosing a doctor is just like buying any other service. Research, get recommendations from others who are athletic, and most of all, don't let this stop you from getting regular check ups. You just need to find the right person.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I think that often, the doctor doing the un-recommending doesn't understand the sport. I had a neck injury last year that required surgery. Chiropractor (in all other respects a decent egg) is one of those people who has the "hide in a padded room to stay safe" outlook on life. She told me that I shouldn't ride long distances because of my neck - I guess she's seen a few cyclists come through her practice. What she didn't understand was that I was going to be meticulous on fit, and that I was going to make sure I wasn't in a super aggressive position, and that I was going to take the training slowly and listen to my body (I tried to tell her all these things, but she would have none of it).

I got the bike in late September, have been training for a century since February, and my neck is stronger than ever.
    "Susie" - 2012 Specialized Ruby Apex, not pink/Selle SMP Lite 209

This probably wouldn't help once the itchiness develops, but taking a strong daily dose of probiotics during and after taking a round of antibiotics (for a couple weeks after) can help prevent the destruction of the good bacteria that we all need. Yogurt is a good source if it has live cultures, but there are many good probiotic capsules out there that make it easy to get a good dose multiple times a day.

I relie on a daily AZO tablet (homeopathic anti yeast infection prophilactic available at drug stores) to keep up the good bacteria. Sine I am way menopausal, I also have a all natural lubricating slave to counter dryness and sporadic itching. It contains tea tree oil, eucaliptus, rosemary, jojoba, bees wax, lanolin and I can't remember what else which I apply before riding because it contains ingredients which don't melt away or absorb in as fast as other lubricants and with the tea tree oil, it provides a barrier to germs. It is call Everything balm and is made by a company called "Goodies Unlimited"on the web.

If I start feeling itchy I slather it in good and it seems to stop things in their track. This is ofcourse in addition to stripping out of my shorts and showering as soon as I walk in the door, and rinsing out really well with the warm water. I also learned years ago, the benefit of wiping front to back (and following through with an aloe baby wipe whenever it seems appropriate,)

If all else fails I keep and emergency Monistat in the medicine cabinet.

I do however second everybopdy's comment about seeking another doctor, but you might also try talking to your current physician and see if she really understands what it is you are trying to do.

My own doctor is an wee Scottish lady of about my own age whose opi nion is " bless me, I'd never be seen dead in such outfits but if it makes you happy and keeps you healthy who am I to object. Just try to stay upright please."
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

My gyn is a cyclist; I'm pretty sure there'd have be a damb good reason if he were to tell me to stop riding.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.