Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

Strange: temp. compromise of immune system

To disable ads, please log-in.

I had a colonoscopy (camera into colon check) for lst time...just after my 55 birthday. Gawd. I didn't plan it that way but took up a cancelled appointment spot shortly after my consultation visit with testing clinic.

For those who don't know, you have to prep. yourself as per doctor's instructions..which means an endema-like drink to purge everything from bowel.

Anyway, after the test, I had a continuously dripping nose, like a cold for 24 hrs. It came out of nowhere.
    Next day it was gone.

My lesson is: severe endema/ detoxification is never a good thing for me. It compromises my immune system.

How can anyone think that detoxification by juicing xxx days, is a good thing for their body ...if already they eat healthy balanced foods daily?
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Completely different.

Intermittent fasting has some solid research behind it. (Wikipedia, but medical journal citations in the notes.) Besides centuries of tradition and the simple fact that wild terrestrial animals are rarely able to eat every single day, meaning we evolved for intermittent fasting.

Chemical purges strip the intestinal flora, which are an important part of the immune system. The microbiota aren't stripped at all by fasting, and even low enemas don't affect the population all that much.

You weren't detoxified in any way, shape or form ... you actually introduced chemicals into your system to induce the diarrhea. Not strange at all that you wouldn't feel well for some time afterwards while your gut reestablishes its ecosystem.

Some probiotics and - yes - healthy alkalizing foods like raw juices will probably get you back to normal more quickly than anything.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Besides centuries of tradition and the simple fact that wild terrestrial animals are rarely able to eat every single day, meaning we evolved for intermittent fasting.
    I agree with your main premise, so I'm just quibbling here, but: isn't this just the case for pure carnivores? I would think that herbivores and omnivores would usually manage to put some food into their stomach every day, though greatly varying in amount and calorie level, of course.

Quibble 2: because we evolved to cope with it doesn't mean that it's our optimal way of eating, either.

But hey, I don't have anything against fasts, I just don't feel the need myself.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I did say:
    How can anyone think that detoxification by juicing xxx days, is a good thing for their body ...if already they eat healthy balanced foods daily?
    If one already eats a balanced diet but needs to eliminate some fatty/salty/sugary foods, then there would be no need to consciously juice for days.

But hey go ahead. Count me out. I would faint. There have been less than ten times in my life, that I didn't eat for the whole day and just drank liquid. Either I forgot (seriously) or I was sick with flu, etc. Not a great feeling for me at the end of it all.

And I agree, Oak I did ingest a chemical drink for colonoscopy testing. My runny nose was a pretty wierd result.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

...puts on science cap…

Just remember that correlation does not imply causation. Your runny nose may or may not have had anything to do with the colonoscopy…..

As for juice fasts… no I couldn't do that. I get nausea when I drink any type liquid on an empty stomach. It's not an uncommon thing and much akin to getting seasick. I've read that it's from the sloshing around down there when there's nothing but liquid in the space...
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N