Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Deep Depression

To disable ads, please log-in.

Thanks so much for your insight, limewave. It's so appreciated.

I'd much rather go a natural route than using medications, and naturopaths are much more available to me after I move back. For now I am on a low-dose antidepressant that I just started a week and a half ago. I don't feel like my depression is any better yet, but realize that meds take time to work.

I think being around my friends, who are my support network, will be an invaluable resource to me as I heal from this difficult time in my life. And my mother is helping me move back to Seattle, so having her for support will also be helpful. On the plus side, I've been getting lots of compliments at work on my weight loss - I call it the "heartbreak hotel" diet.

Once again, I can't thank the ladies of TE enough for all the support and encouragement you've given me. You've really helped me navigate these rough waters.
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

Thanks for sharing your experience, Limewave (and so good to see you; we've missed you).

Interestingly, I have an appointment with a nurse practitioner in mid-June to see where I am hormonally. While my primary intention is to talk to her about the hormonal changes I've noted over the last few years that are likely a combination of autoimmune thyroid disease and perimenopause, I have a feeling that we'll touch on mood in general. Ever since Jiffer started posting about it a couple of years ago, I've been curious about what role, if any, my adrenal glands might be playing in my thyroid disease. I'll keep your comments in mind, too.

VBC, I'm glad you're taking some really good steps toward wellness. We're always here for you if and when you want to "chat" about any of this.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Hi Ladies,

Wanted to share that I'm back in Seattle. Still going through a really rough transition. I miss the ex-boyfriend with all my heart and am having serious doubts about having moved back, but it is what it is. On the bright side, it's awesome to be back at my old job and have so many people welcome me back with open arms. I have things to do with my girlfriends.

Nights and mornings are the hardest - going to bed and waking up alone. In some respects I suppose I am grieving a death - the death of a relationship that meant the world to me. Everyone keeps saying it'll get better, but it really hasn't yet. I just want to be back to my old independent self.

It does feel good to be back on the bike again : )
    2014 Surly Straggler

((((((VBC)))))) Hang in there. You've made a big transition and it's natural to have regrets and second thoughts. It *will* get better, I have no doubt. Glad you're riding - that makes everything better.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

What OakLeaf said. Hang in there. You've got a lot going for you now -- a group of friends, your old job back, a familiar environment. Yes, you have to grieve the loss of your relationship, and you still have feelings there. But you're in a better place overall than before, with a better support system in place.

It will get easier.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Stay close to your friends. They can be lifesavers. Things DO get better.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Thanks Emily & dogmama. Kind words go a long way.
    2014 Surly Straggler

Hang in there!! It sounds like you have a great group of people out there to support you. It will get better and please try not to second guess yourself.

Thanks so much solo. Your encouragement helps a lot.
    2014 Surly Straggler

Try looking at this site. sparkpeople.com I also suffer from sever depression and the forum, "Dealing with Depression" is so helpful. Plus you get to "brag" about your biking! (or not biking)
    kajero
    2013 Trek FX 7.6 WSD
    2012 Specialized Ruby WSD
    2004 Schwinn (I think that is the year)

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Zaki:

You stole Crankin's comment from several months ago. Why would you do that and pose yourself as a counsellor??? Imposter.

"

You are right, Shooting Star, culturally sensitive counseling is a necessity in a lot of cases. It doesn't always have to be that you have a counselor of the same culture, but the counselor needs to be aware of what cultural factors may be influencing how a person thinks and how culture may have contributed to the issue. My training was very focused on dealing with these issues, but I still feel like there are some cases that would be best served by working with someone from their own culture. I just had to close a case with a Cambodian teenager. I won't go into the details, but her issues were the same issues I deal with with other girls her age. The difference was the way her family (mom) totally denied/dismissed this girl's symptoms and behavior, which were very risky. There was a huge cultural component there and I couldn't bridge it, even though I am well aware of the issues. Her school is going to refer her family to a different program. There is a large Cambodian community in one of the cities I work in, but there are very few counselors in this community. A few parole officers and DCF workers, but I have only known one young man who was training to be a clinician. So while I feel totally comfortable working with my Hispanic clients and continue to learn from them, I admit I couldn't make much difference for this one girl and her family. I hope they find someone who can help them. "
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

Zaki is a spammer…. she's (or perhaps he…) is just copying out parts of people's posts to have something to fill in above the tag line advertising multivitamins…
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

And Zaki is gone.

Thanks for dealing with this!

... but anyway ... how are you doing, VBC? Hoping the spammer didn't exacerbate your troubles.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler