Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping

Electrolyte tabs

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi all.

I currently occasionally use NUUN tablets in my water bottle. I really like the convenience of them, like the low calorie content, like the fact that they give my water an extra boost of flavor and electrolytes.

But I hate the fizz.

I am so not a fan of fizzy drinks. Plus, the tabs cause pressure buildup in my Podium bottles which causes the drink to shoot out of my bottle. Annoying when I have my Delaney pack on my back for a long run, as I get a wet, sticky back and lose more drink to ejection than drinking.

Do you know of any similar products - I'd prefer tablets rather than single serve packets - that give me electrolytes in a low calorie, easy to cart in my back jersey or throw in a bag in the truck sort of package? Not looking for Salt Tabs or Endurolytes (already have those) - I'm looking for something I can add to water and drink.

Thanks.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

I think tablet and fizz go together by necessity. Without that chemical reaction, there's no way for a tablet to dissolve.

Endurolytes comes in a powder. I've used it on many long runs. It's unflavored and unsweetened, so the taste is a little bit bitter and metallic (plus it's pretty low in salt, so you still need to add a pinch of table salt). But I find that once I get electrolyte-depleted, I don't notice the taste. My body asks for what it needs.

Skratch Labs also comes in a powder, either in bulk or in single serving packets. I've used that too. Since even the "everyday" formulation is flavored with a little bit of sugar rather than sugar alcohols/stevia/etc., you do have to be extra careful about cleaning your equipment to avoid mold problems.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I think tablet and fizz go together by necessity. Without that chemical reaction, there's no way for a tablet to dissolve.
    That's kind of what I feared. Thanks. I do like the Hammer products. I may have to resort to just breaking open an Endurolyte capsule into my bottle when needed.

Thanks for the input!
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Quote Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
    But I hate the fizz.
    I've found that if I put the tab in the bottle a bit ahead of time and leave the lid off (say, while getting dressed) it won't have that pressure buildup and the fizz is pretty much gone. Sometimes I'll even let it sit in the fridge overnight so it's totally flat by the morning. In my camelback, I try to squeeze the bite valve for several seconds after closing it up and let some air out.
    Specialized Oura or Romin Evo Saddles

I have found that I can handle the nuun up to a point (either heart rate or distance), then it just feels like fizz in my tummy. I have also used the "let it go flat" trick when preparing ahead of time. Sometimes I'll double up on tabs in my bottle and have an extra "just water" bottle so I can get more flat-nuun rather than having to add a tab in the middle of a ride and end up fizzy again.

Might switch to the endurolyte shake-up myself, too. My dad likes to put a lemon or dab of lemon juice in his bottle so that it's flavored water without being fully flavored, which might help with the taste; though I suspect after a while it won't matter.

I don't know if this is a good substitute for Nuun tablets in terms of ingredients, but I think Skratch Labs sells a powder to add to water. Might be worth looking into.

(Come to think of it, I think I bought a single-serving thing last year and never tried it. I guess I should look for it when I get home...)

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Endurolytes does come in bulk powder so you wouldn't have to break open capsules. It's a little cheaper that way. But like Skratch, it doesn't contain any anti-caking agents, so you do need to take it out of the plastic tub and store it in glass or metal.

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinpony View Post
    I've found that if I put the tab in the bottle a bit ahead of time and leave the lid off (say, while getting dressed) it won't have that pressure buildup and the fizz is pretty much gone. Sometimes I'll even let it sit in the fridge overnight so it's totally flat by the morning. In my camelback, I try to squeeze the bite valve for several seconds after closing it up and let some air out.
    This. I don't normally mind fizz, but sometimes I don't want it. I just let it sit.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I picked up a sample package of Skratch today. I don't like processed options, but figure I need to have a backup plan for my 100 miles of loops at the 24 Hours of Booty at the end of June - especially if it is hot/humid. At least I can pronounce all the ingredients...though I would prefer it didn't have dextrose or cane sugar. I am curious to hear what others think of it who have tried it.

You are mostly looking at na and k as your basic needs, maybe magnesium and calcium, but you can just mix the amount of na and k dry required (use salt and lot salt properly measured) and add it to your drinks. You can buy little meth serving ziplock baggies on amazon and carry your powder portions to add as desired, or you can make up an amount in a liquid with other desirable things like calories in a shot flask and add squirts to your water bottle as you fill up en route, or drink and chase with your water/drink. I like the shot flasks for the longer rides.

Skratch "everyday" only has enough sugar to flavor it, not really enough to provoke any kind of insulin response during exertion. For me, it's more about what my gut can tolerate (and which pieces of equipment I have to clean assiduously ), but I've read that long chain carbohydrates really aren't necessary during exertion - that what you need during an event is the simple sugars that your body needs immediately, since you can never take in more than a small fraction of the calories you're actually using.

For training and cycling I like Skratch better than Endurolytes because I don't have to add table salt, plus the flavor is a whole lot better. I used it on all my long runs but the last one in this training cycle (which that last one was a test of race nutrition, since the unfortunate thing about Skratch is that if I were going to use it during a race, I'd have to carry my own water supply, which I really prefer not to). I did fine on it. No stomach distress, no cramps, enough salt that I could replace the rest throughout the day.

Never tried the high-sugar Skratch.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 04-27-2013 at 09:00 AM.

Re: Electrolyte tabs

Thanks Crankin, that is very helpful! I am going to give it a shot.

I tried the pineapple Skratch sample this afternoon after a workout. I admit it is difficult for me to drink after working out - don't know why but it is. That changed though after adding the Skratch to my water. It went down easier than normal and it isn't because it is heavily flavored - the flavor was even more subtle than my old Heed that I used to like so much. I will add this to my hot, humid rides.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    s difficult for me to drink after working out - don't know why but it is. That changed though after adding the Skratch to my water. It went down easier than normal
    If it were me that would be a pretty good sign that I need salt. Plain water just nauseates me when I'm low on sodium, but I can drink sodium-enhanced beverages a liter or two at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    If it were me that would be a pretty good sign that I need salt. Plain water just nauseates me when I'm low on sodium, but I can drink sodium-enhanced beverages a liter or two at a time.
    I think that is exactly what it is. I've read recently that if we are low on sodium that our body can't absorb water properly. I inhaled those 16 ounces of water like I was out in the desert...I always have my water with me so this solution should work fine. Also noted the bulk packages aren't THAT expensive... If memory serves me correctly, as much as I liked Hammer Heed DURING a bike ride, I couldn't stomach it afterwards. I do add salt to my food.
    Last edited by Catrin; 04-28-2013 at 03:51 PM.