Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thoughts on best sunglasses for cycling?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi!
    So many choices! I have a pair of Tifosi that were so blurry tonight was horrible! Anyone have any suggestions on great cycling glasses? Not looking for prescription ready. I've been looking at the Oakley Radarlock, any thoughts?

Thank you as always ladies for your help!
    Beach

These are the ones I've been wearing for years. I've had Oakleys. The difference is negligible, and $9 trumps a LOT.

ETA ... not that there's much for that $9 to trump, IMO. They're comfortable, they're reasonably attractive unlike a lot of safety glasses, they fit on my face and under both moto and bici helmets, they stay on when I'm super sweaty, they're ANSI impact resistant and UV blocking, the optical quality is excellent, and when they do get scratched I just pull a new pair out of the case I ordered for less than the price of a single pair of Oakleys ...
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 04-26-2013 at 05:44 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

They have to be comfortable!
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

I really like my Smith Pivlock V90s. Great coverage, easy to change lenses (3 included), lightweight.
    2011 Giant TCR Composite

Thoughts on best sunglasses for cycling?

I like my Smith Parallels. Also have easy to change 3 sets of lenses (I usually rotate between the high contrast and the clear - for night). Don't seem ridiculously big for a smaller face. Plus comes in fun colours.

I'm a HUGE fan of Optic Nerve's "Photomatic" line. I don't get the whole "changing lenses" business. Why not simply go with photochromics with a wide tint range (I believe Optic Nerve's range is actually wider than anything offered by much pricier brands)...? I can't be bothered to change lenses for light/weather conditions that can widely sway during any given ride.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I have had Oakley Half Jackets and just recently got a pair of Smith Parallel (the D-Max ones). The only thing I wish the Oakleys had was the hydrophobic lens for when I have to stop at a stoplight in the mornings and fog up my glasses. I haven't been wearing the Parallels long enough to see if that's a problem.

Interchangeable lenses is really nice in some situations - in the winter or if I ride at dusk, I can prevent bugs in my eyes by switching to my yellow or clear lenses. I think to zoom-zoom's point that photochromatics would be nicer and more convenient, but I haven't yet had a chance to try them. My husband switched to transitions lenses recently and really likes them.

The Parallels seem to fit underneath my helmet better than the Oakleys, but I can't yet figure out how to jam them into the top of my helmet to stick there when I need to go from riding to the elevator up to my office. Both fit my face pretty decently, there are so many I can't wear because I look like a giant bug. At this point I think I'd go for the Smiths before the Oakleys again just based on comfort and fit, but it's a little early.

I love my Oakleys. They have the best, clearest lenses of any sunglasses I've ever worn and they are light and comfortable. The Flak Jackets fit me well. The material on the temples and nosepiece is designed to get tacky when you sweat so they stay in place. I have two sets of lenses -- black Iridium polarized for most of the time, and yellow lenses for low light conditions.

The only drawback I've found is that the Iridium lenses scratch pretty easily. So I put the glasses into the fabric bag that comes with them before I put them in my purse.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by colby View Post
    Interchangeable lenses is really nice in some situations - in the winter or if I ride at dusk, I can prevent bugs in my eyes by switching to my yellow or clear lenses. I think to zoom-zoom's point that photochromatics would be nicer and more convenient, but I haven't yet had a chance to try them. My husband switched to transitions lenses recently and really likes them.
    Yep...and I wear my photochromics for every ride/run, year-round. I do have a 2nd pair of the same frames with clear lenses on the off chance that I ride at night or if it's nearly dark and windy for a run. I actually purchased those when I did a CX race that went indoors for part of the course, since even photochromics didn't lighten fast enough for the portion that went through a dark hallway.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I like Ryders. http://ryderseyewear.com/
    I have a small noggin and they fit my face really well and are comfortable.
    2011 Cannondale CAADX 105
    2012 Jamis Dragon 29er
    2012 Jamis Xenith Endura Comp

Something cool just came out, polarized transitions lenses :-) I want to try them out.

Just ordered a new pair of Serfas Shttps://www.serfas.com/categories/opticsike Out. This will be my third pair - I lost one pair and broke the other. For the price, I have yet to find anything that fits my face or fits under my helmet as comfortable as these. They can be hard to find though (at least in Idaho)
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

I am a big fan of Oakleys. So far I have had Flak Jackets, they were great but I like full frame since I find them more comfortable. Before my dog ate my Split Jackets I love them, now I am wearing Racing Jackets (essentially Jawbones). I really like the Racing Jackets for the coverage on the Split Jackets I could see the lower jaw a bit, the Racing Jackets are kind of big on your face if you have smaller features though. For years I stayed away from Oakleys because I thought the price was silly and I wore Tifosi. The Oakleys are much crisper, I will agree with one of the other posters that Iridium scratches easier than some of the other lenses. I also like that Oakley is made in the United States.

Also if you're interested in Oakley, check out the Oakley Vault for some deals and if you live where you can visit an Oakley Vault store even better. I picked up my Racing Jackets at a Vault store for $90 off because they had been a display. No damage from being a display, just a sweet deal!
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Re: Thoughts on best sunglasses for cycling?

I have Tifosi "lust wrap" sunglasses. I love them...no issues so far!