Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    LOL! I'll have to see what I end up doing with this entry-level CAADX. No idea if a higher end model is ever going to be appropriate for me. And I still want a steel-disc X, but I need to be able to test ride more. Even if it is the wrong size, have to have an idea of ride quality before I buy. Oh, and then there is the Soma Buena Vista....

So many bikes.

Wish you were closer, I suspect you'd enjoy a test-ride on my road bike.

What do you mean, 'as long as you don't get wet?'

Maybe I'll wait on the BMX pedals until I can afford the shoes.
    I'd let you borrow my Charge. It's probably a little small, though. He's not a zippy as I'd like, but I didn't really buy him for speed. (That's what the CAADX is for!) I wish they put a disc-compatible fork on the 105 version so I had the option of going to discs later. (And I want a Soma Buena Visa too. I don't particularly care that the boyfriend doesn't like mixtes. Not his bike!)

What I meant by "don't get wet" is that if you've got shoes with tread, you're losing contact with the pins. Add water and that'll get slippery very quickly.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

The Charge will fit if I use a regular offset seatpost. Might be a little hard on the knees, but I've done it before. I actually think I'm between sizes on the Charge. But it looks like a great ride.

The 51 cm CAAD is only 1 cm longer in the TT than the 48. Interesting how many sizes they have. Interesting and good. Though they have less in the larger range, 1.5 cm between each. That's still a lot compared to most brands.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

the big deal about 5-10 as being "the" recommended shoe to ride with flat pedals has one issue. Fit. I couldn't wear a 5-10 for the life of me. I ended up with a Teva links boys shoe.

The previous posts are correct is that these shoes are rather tread-less. It's the sticky rubber compound and a rather flat-ish sole with very little tread, and little fore-aft flex that make these shoes work.

5-10 has two styles, the Impact and the karver which are womens' MTB. They have a lot more for men. Also the "guide" which is approach shoe, would work too. It even fits my narrow flat feet.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

I put a deposit on the bike, and I've got the pedals narrowed down to two choices.

These Wellgos. Smaller surface area. But lighter and remind me of the Straitlines.

And These. Larger. Not as cool-looking. But other than that, I don't know. May be more comfortable.

Opinions?

They both are available in the same colors, though the second link doesn't show that.

And that brings me to my next question: the bike is black with bright white writing and stripes. Which color? Red would look cool, but my road bike is black with red accents. Even my hybrid is black with a little white and grey. It's the Ford method of choosing color-schemes: you can have any color you want, as long as you choose black. The white is nice, but if it gets chipped, it won't look so good. Wish they had purple.

I love color and didn't do that on purpose, but I do believe I bought the right bikes.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

I put a deposit on the bike, and I've got the pedals narrowed down to two choices.

These Wellgos. Smaller surface area. But lighter and remind me of the Straitlines.

And These. Larger. Not as cool-looking. But other than that, I don't know. May be more comfortable.

Opinions?

They both are available in the same colors, though the second link doesn't show that.

And that brings me to my next question: the bike is black with bright white writing and stripes. Which color? Red would look cool, but my road bike is black with red accents. Even my hybrid is black with a little white and grey. It's the Ford method of choosing color-schemes: you can have any color you want, as long as you choose black. The white is nice, but if it gets chipped, it won't look so good. Wish they had purple.

I love color and didn't do that on purpose, but I do believe I bought the right bikes.
    I have option number 2 in white. Mainly because my bike is silver and white with red accents. I already have lots of red accents so I didn't want to over do it. I've had a few pedal strikes on rocks and stumps and the paint hasn't chipped so far (knock on wood) so I think they are pretty durable. My second choice would have been red. I think I paid $38 for mine, which included shipping.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    I have option number 2 in white. Mainly because my bike is silver and white with red accents. I already have lots of red accents so I didn't want to over do it. I've had a few pedal strikes on rocks and stumps and the paint hasn't chipped so far (knock on wood) so I think they are pretty durable. My second choice would have been red. I think I paid $38 for mine, which included shipping.
    Can you tell me if they are concave in the centers? That could help decide me on the style. Can't really tell online.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Re: Best Non-Clip in Pedals for Cross?

Can you tell me if they are concave in the centers? That could help decide me on the style. Can't really tell online.
    I can't swear to it one way or the other. Let me look when I get home and I'll get back to you.

After looking at them again mine are actually these: http://www.amazon.com/WELLGO-Wellgo-...m_cr_pr_sims_t Not sure if there's any difference between them.
    Last edited by thekarens; 05-03-2013 at 09:11 AM.
    2013 Electra Verse

I rode option #2 in black prior to moving to my lovely (if beat up) Sunringle Zuzu pedals which I can't help but notice that Amazon has for much cheaper than what I paid for them. While the Wellgos are fine, the pins on the Zuzu pedals are adjustable and while my feet were pretty stable on the Wellgos, I've NEVER had my feet fly off of the Zuzu pedals. Unsure if that is due to the increased number of pins, or if the shape suits my feet better. Anyway I love these pedals, and if I take my Frogs off my Gunner this year the Zuzu pedals will go back on. I rode them on my mountain bike with no problems.

I looked at mine and if they are concave I can't see it. They seem pretty flat to me.
    2013 Electra Verse

Re: Best Non-Clip in Pedals for Cross?

Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    I looked at mine and if they are concave I can't see it. They seem pretty flat to me.
    Agreed, they are not concave.

I picked up a pair of the Performance brand ones (I think they're the Forte Convert) for riding off-road. I'm planning on replacing the pedals on the CX bike with these so that I can ride off-road without worrying about clipping in accidentally. The shoes might be a harder thing to find.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Great idea.