Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Medical-grade footless full-leg graduated compression compatible with bike riding?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've finally accepted the fact that I must wear full-leg compression for my messily varicosed leg. Solidea leggings at 8-15 mmHG http://www.northamericanrehab.com/st...n-legging.html and Jobst thigh-highs (15-20 mmHg) are wonderful for everyday wear.

However, both the herringbone interior of the Solidea and the silicone thigh grippers of the Jobst are chafe-y.

I'm looking at Juzo "soft leggings" as an alternative for riding http://www.juzousa.com/product.aspx?...oup_model=2000 They come in a nice variety of colors, are smooth, and are footless. All good things for me and the bike. But before I spend $75, I thought I'd ask if anyone has any experience with these. Or if anyone has any suggestions for other brands of medical compression leggings that don't drive you crazy on the bike.
    Existence is empty, but I am full of myself.

Have you looked into compression cycling tights at all? Most have a chamois built in. Skins and 2XU comes to mind. They are not all winter weight either.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Stoker View Post
    Have you looked into compression cycling tights at all? Most have a chamois built in. Skins and 2XU comes to mind. They are not all winter weight either.
    Thank you for your idea. I will look into the 2XU.

I've called a few of the athletic compression garment makers, they are very leary of answering questions about any technical issues of graduated compression or compression levels. That kind of leaves me hanging as I do want graduated medical grade compression. I don't like (nor need) chamois, so the chamois issue is moot. That being said, I do have 2 pair of athletic compression tights (Champion and Wacoal/CWX) from before I gave up on non-medical tights. With both of those tights I can see the bumps of my varicosities sticking up above skin level. That makes me think they must be less than 8-15 mgHG.

It is definitely a frustrating search, as most medical grade garments seem to be oriented toward elderly and sedentary people.
    Existence is empty, but I am full of myself.

Those are recovery tights though, not designed for riding in. They might work, but it leaves the OP with the same issue of spending the money without knowing whether they'll be a problem on the bike.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I have a pair of the CompressRx recovery tights (similar to the first/second link), and I agree, I am not sure they could hold up to daily or even regular riding. I only walk in or casually wear mine for a few hours at a time before/after long days when the compression makes me feel good.

The "Ultra"/active ones do look made for active wear, though (third link).

Could you wear a pair of the medical grade compression pantyhose over cycling shorts? It would look weird, but you could wear a light cycling skirt over all of it. Or maybe a pair of short tights with no chamois, to protect the crotch of the hose.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 04-22-2013 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post

Are there any compression thigh high leggings?
    Absolutely ... I have a couple of drugstore/medical supply store pairs that I use for recovery (heck with the schmancy triathlon brands ).

But that's what the OP was referencing when she talked about the silicone grippers chafing. I am pretty positive they would not work for cycling ... either the grippers would chafe and constrict, or they would slide down. That's why I thought pantyhose style might be a better option - although on me anyway, she's right they're made for elderly people, the rise comes up to my bra line ...

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Absolutely ... I have a couple of drugstore/medical supply store pairs that I use for recovery (heck with the schmancy triathlon brands ).
    That's why I thought pantyhose style might be a better option - although on me anyway, she's right they're made for elderly people, the rise comes up to my bra line ...
    Soooo, they also double as Spanx?

-- gnat! (Ahm sexee and I know it...)
    Windsor: 2010 S-Works Ruby
    Pantysgawn: 2011 S-Works Stumpjumper 29er
    Whiz!: 2013 S-Works Crux (Singlespeed)
    Boucheron: 2009 S-Works Tricross
    Haloumi: 2013 Tern P7i
    Kraft: 2009 Singlecross
    Gouda: 2005 Electra Betty
    Roquefort: 1974 Stella SX-73