Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

3 State, 3 Mountain Challenge

To disable ads, please log-in.

Has anyone done this ride? It looks like it would be a LOT of fun, brutal perhaps, but fun Considering it is in May and I am not even able to ride weekly yet I won't do it this year - but if I can stay out of PT this season and over the winter I will seriously consider one of the options for next year Curious to know if any TE member has ridden this and what your experiences where. This is the 26th year for the event, which speaks well for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Has anyone done this ride? It looks like it would be a LOT of fun, brutal perhaps, but fun Considering it is in May and I am not even able to ride weekly yet I won't do it this year - but if I can stay out of PT this season and over the winter I will seriously consider one of the options for next year Curious to know if any TE member has ridden this and what your experiences where. This is the 26th year for the event, which speaks well for it.
    I went down there for it a few years ago but got rained out. DH has done it a couple of times. It's a hard ride for flatlanders, but it's doable with decent training--which is often hard to get by the first week in May. Rain is often an issue that time of year, too. Descents in the rain are just not my cup of tea. In fact, the year we were down there, a friend of ours got in a accident when another rider's brakes failed on a descent. For me, I want a better guarantee of descent weather if I'm going to travel 5-6 hours for a ride.

A ride you might enjoy, Catrin, is the Harpeth River Ride. It's outside of Franklin, Tennesee in June (I think). It's not nearly as hilly or as crowded, but it's a nice ride nevertheless. I did the ride in 2008 and combined it with a 40-mile ride along the Natchez Trace. It was a nice weekend. Franklin's a nice town, too, with a lovely little downtown.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Re: 3 State, 3 Mountain Challenge

Thanks for your comments Indy! I had wondered about some of that especially as it comes so early in the year.

I've not heard of the Harpeth ride you mentioned, but am familiar with that part of the state' especially between Nashville & Franklin. There is some beautiful scenery along the Harpeth and I will look further into this, thanks!

hmmm, I put this in the incorrect forum - is it possible for a kindly admin to move it to the Southeast forum? Does it matter???

I've done it twice - third attempt was rained out. It's a wonderful ride, great support, and really interesting route. The final climb up Burkhalter's Gap is legendary - but fun! One time I did it in the rain and the descent off the first mountain (Sandy something, maybe?) was really rough - people walking DOWN the hill, but if the weather is nice, it's glorious.
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.