Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Maintenance and Operation of Dual Suspension Bikes.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Can anyone direct me to a good source for how to care for a dual suspension mountain bike? I have no idea if the rear is even locked in or not. I do know this bike has that option, but it's a used, 2002 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, and I'm only just beginning to carefully ride it. Just an easy gravel path so far. Haven't even had a fitting on it yet. (Need to raise the saddle, in fact).

Thanks!
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

If you want information the specific components on the bike, you might do a Google search to find the manual for the bike itself, the fork and the rear shock. One of the things I read indicated that the bike came with a Cane Creek Cloud 9 rear shock. If that's the case, you might check Cane Creek's website for the 2002 manual or email them. I assume most of these manufacturers maintain an archive for all their product manuals and that it wouldn't be hard to send you. I'd do the same with whomever manufactured your fork. IMO, that's the best way to learn how your specific equipment is to be operated and maintained.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Found the Cane Creek Cloud 9 Manual and printed it. (Yeah, Bikepedia lists that. Thanks.). Not sure if that is what is actually on the bike, I think it says Rock Shocks or some such, but that may be the same thing. (The specs on my Cannondale Synapse for Bikepedia are completely wrong, they listed the men's model, but called it the women's. They were completely different that year. Grrr).

The fork on the Sugar 1 is a light blue, I'll have to see if it's the same as the one pictured. The paint scheme is a little different overall on my bike. May or may not mean anything.

thanks, Indy!

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Re: Maintenance and Operation of Dual Suspension Bikes.

I'm totally ignorant of wrenching, but I thought lockout was really only for the front shocks. I know I can lockout Mr front shocks, but I can't imagine wanting to.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Rear lockout is great, if you remember to unlock when appropriate. I used the rear lock out for long extended logging road climbs.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    I'm totally ignorant of wrenching, but I thought lockout was really only for the front shocks. I know I can lockout Mr front shocks, but I can't imagine wanting to.
    Lockout helps power-transfer on a hard surface.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

The spec I found for your bike was listed in a a Gary Fisher manual, not Bikepedia, but with an 11 year old bike, I wouldn't necessarily assume that it has all of its original components. In trying to find a manual for your bike, I ran across a few discussions on problems with the Cane Creek shock, so it's possible that it got swapped out at some point. Rock Shox is a different brand entirely.

Honestly, with a dualie of that age, I'd have a shop that does a lot of mtb work give it a good look. You made need service on either or both the rear and front suspension.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

+1 on the shock service suggestion. The oil in the shocks gets old and sticky and should be replaced at least every 2 years. The folks at your LBS would probably be happy to help you figure out how your shocks work when you pick your bike up from service.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

A the minimum for maintenance, wipe them down to keep the stanchions ( the round things that move) grit free. Check the seals for leaking. You can usually find the manual for most shocks online in PDF format. If you have an air shock, once in a while it's good to check the air, or have LBS help you with it. Familiarize yourself with settings. You can adjust rebound, compression and preload, depending on the type and quality of the fork. Compression dampening is how big a hit it will take without bottoming out; rebound is how fast the shock recovers from being compressed, and then there's preload which is the amount of "sag" the fork has when you put your weight on it
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM