Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do most shop rides cost $ ?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I inquired at one LBS about shop rides. Due to my schedule I would only be able to join them with any type of consistently on one ride per week. Even on that ride I would manage to attend 4 out of 5 rides. The rides are cancelled if it's raining, which around here could substantially reduce the rides. The weekly ride goes until October. I had "assumed" that there was no cost involved. But there are. You need a provincial biking license ($75) which i'm ok with as it covers insurance etc. But the shop wants an additional $75 to join the "shop club" for the year. For an additional $95 they wanted to sell me the "shop club" jersey which promotes the shop. Is it usual for bike shops to charge fee's for shop local rides?. I have spent thousands of $ at this shop and I'm starting to feel nickel and dimed.
    Is this excessive or is that the Scottish coming out in me?

The shop I race for doesn't charge for group rides, nor do any of the other local shops (to the best of my knowledge).

I'm curious to know if any other shops in your area charge similar fees.....

Several shops around here sponsor weekly rides. None of them charge any money for them.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I'm not aware of any shop around here charging for a shop ride. Many of our local shop rides are a joint club/shop effort, but neither the shop nor the club charge for them. Certainly, it's hoped that attendees spend money at the shop, but that's the only monetary aspect of them that I'm aware of. Our local club sponsors only a couple fee-based rides each year; the rest are free--although certainly everyone who does them is encouraged to join the club. Frankly, it's the best bargain in town when one considers all that they do.

I don't know how I'd feel about being charged to do a shop ride. I don't think I'd mind if a jar was passed around periodically to cover any costs (like maps or paint to mark the route), but I'd probably bristle at having to pay $75 to wear a jersey that provides the shop with advertising. But by the same token, if they provided a really great group ride that was a lot of fun, maybe I'd get over it. It would really depend on my overall feelings about the shop.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Re: Do most shop rides cost $ ?

Not only does our club not charge for our rides, it provides drinks and snacks for anyone who wants to participate for both before and after the ride.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I do not ride out of a shop, but I do ride with the local bicycling club. It has all levels of rides, every day of the week. There is a membership fee of $20 per year. That gets you insurance coverage and a newsletter. You do not have to be a member to ride with the group, but the insurance coverage won't apply if you are not, apparently. Maybe it's an insurance thing with your bike shop, or maybe it's a more serious racing-team-club type setup. Have you checked into a local bicycling club?

Cycle club only too. Our fees are $25 for the year and $2 per ride. This covers purchasing tea, coffee and cookies and the cost of hiring someone who looks after the kitchen and the cars parked during the ride (a number have been broken into as the club house is in the countryside). The club also runs organised race days and has to hire road signs etc plus put in a traffic management plan.

Maybe there's additional services you don't know about yet? However the club kit (unless it's both shorts and shirt) seems rather steep. I would expect to pay cost price for these.

I have never heard of such a thing. I belong to 2 cycling clubs (one is an outdoor club, of which cycling is one activity). There is no charge for any ride, unless it's an overnight trip. I pay a membership fee to both, which gets me a newsletter, a magazine, and discounts of 10-20% at LBSs and outdoor stores.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    The shop I race for doesn't charge for group rides, nor do any of the other local shops (to the best of my knowledge).

I'm curious to know if any other shops in your area charge similar fees.....
    I called 2 other shops. One does not have any shop rides, the other one has 2 aweek. Sat mornings @730 am which is waaaaay to early for me, Wednesday evening 6 pm was the other option. No fee involved, or said mention of "jersey".

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    I've never heard of anyone doing this.

What is a provincial license? And where are you? Is this the UK?
    I'm in Vancouver, BC Canada. About 2 hrs north of Seattle.
    Cyclingbc.net has the license info. It's generally used for organized rides, or clubs etc

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Actually, it's $75.00 for the ride. An extra $95.00 for the privilege of advertising via shop shirt.

How many rides per week do they offer?
    2-4 rides a week, but for a beginner only one ride. Most of the rides were for advanced or strong riders. I don't think I'm a beginner, but far from being what i would consider advanced.

That's insane. My old old LBS didn't charge (I think there were clinics that they charged a small fee to help pay the instructor, but those were relatively rare) for group rides, my old LBS didn't charge, my current workplace doesn't charge (though they ask you to let them know that you're coming!).

Yes, the local club charges a membership fee, but it's like $25 a year or something, and extra for the jersey.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

There are lots of shops around here and lots of shop rides. I've never heard of any charging. You can buy a jersey if you want, but it's strictly optional. I've only checked out one local club. You can ride for free, but if you decide you want to become a member, there's a low annual charge. I forget what it is. I tend to ride alone or with a rag tag group of friends.
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66

I've never heard of shop rides having a cost associated with them. Are you in Canada by any chance? You mentioned a provincial bike license, though of course that doesn't mean you are a northern neighbor

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Unless this shop ride offers a sort of ride that other shops don't offer, I wouldn't bother WASP. It seems they aren't doing things to "give" back to the cycling community as a business.
    I understand about the provincial license ...is that associated with a provincial cycling association for the insurance? I know the non-profit cycling advocacy group (VACC, now the HUB) has had to make sure they had overall insurance for its members.... I know this, because my partner negotiated the contract at different years for the VACC. But VACC's annual membership is pretty reasonable.

Which shop is this? I'm curious?

For the record, there is no B.C., Alberta nor Ontario legislation which requires cyclists to have license to bike. Of course bike couriers are different.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.