Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey gals... Any thoughts on the relative benefits of the Amira vs the Ruby?

The Amira is a more aggressive bike, with a stiffer carbon. (The highest-end Amiras have the super-fancy carbon.) It's a racehorse. It doesn't have the same "plush" ride as the Ruby. I wouldn't have described the one I rode as uncomfortable, though. (But, really, that's up to you). The new Ruby is less aggressive, and didn't feel quite as fast to me. It's still a fast bike (after all, it used to be their race frame, and according to the Specialized rep the geometry isn't a whole ton less aggressive.) I prefer a more-aggressive bike, though. For the new rider, I usually tell people to go with the more relaxed frame. since it's not going be quite as responsive (read "twitchy" for the new rider) and it'll be easier to get the handling down.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

hey there. i'm actually pretty close to getting a ruby myself. did you check out the ruby sport compact? just like the ruby compact but with slightly upgraded components - 105 and tiagra for $1800 through the end of may. i really liked the way it rode but it was also the first road bike i've ever been on.

btw - i live in kansas city too!
    Last edited by rustyosaurus; 04-23-2013 at 03:13 PM.

Can someone explain the difference of upgrading to the 105? I'm looking at the Ruby Sport Compact. My LBS offers rentals, so I'm planning on taking a Ruby for a spin, but I'm not exactly sure which models they have for rental. It would be helpful to know what to look for (beyond good fit). I'm new to road bikes - well "new" in the sense that I haven't owned or ridden one for about 25 years. I don't want to get all excited and buy what they have in stock, not understanding the detail differences between the models.

Quote Originally Posted by lor View Post
    Can someone explain the difference of upgrading to the 105? I'm looking at the Ruby Sport Compact. My LBS offers rentals, so I'm planning on taking a Ruby for a spin, but I'm not exactly sure which models they have for rental. It would be helpful to know what to look for (beyond good fit). I'm new to road bikes - well "new" in the sense that I haven't owned or ridden one for about 25 years. I don't want to get all excited and buy what they have in stock, not understanding the detail differences between the models.
    I tried both the Ruby with the 105 and the Amira with the 105. Honestly, I could not tell the difference between the Ruby's "softer" ride quality vs the Amira's stiffer ride quality. I picked the Amira because I have a long torso and my back felt curled up and hunched on the Ruby.

As for the Shimano 105 derailleurs, I think that you will definitely feel the difference between the lower end shifters and the Shimano 105 and above shifters. The difference in the better shifters is how fast the shifters shift when you go uphill, and sturdy the shifting feels, how your hand feels/how easy to shift in your hand (which is why some people prefer Shimano while others prefer SRAM and others prefer Campy), and less often to derail. The lower end shifters feel more clunky and sometimes, I can't tell if it shifted well when I pedal hard uphills. That is the best way that I can explain what it feels like.

We would love to know which bike you ended up with though!
    2014 Liv Lust
    2013 Specialized Fate Expert with carbon wheelset (sold)
    2012 Specialized Amira Elite
    2010 Santa Cruz Juliana with R kit and Crampon pedals (sold)

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle (sold)

105 is considered "entry-level racing" componentry. The shifting will be smoother, and it can take a beating better than the lower-end stuff (one of the managers at work races cross with 105 on the bike, and it's still going strong with only very minor tweaks). Less need for adjustment. The weight here is secondary.

Try out Sora, Tiagra, 105 and SRAM Apex. (I doubt you'll find Rival on a shop floor, but the shifting is very much the same, as far as I know.) If you have an idea of what frame you're looking for (ex, Ruby vs. Amira), you can put that out of your mind for a little bit and just try out shifters on different bikes. (No shop is going to keep a full range of a given model on the floor, but it might help you figure out what you're looking for.)
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by TigerMom View Post
    As for the Shimano 105 derailleurs, I think that you will definitely feel the difference between the lower end shifters and the Shimano 105 and above shifters. The difference in the better shifters is how fast the shifters shift when you go uphill, and sturdy the shifting feels, how your hand feels/how easy to shift in your hand (which is why some people prefer Shimano while others prefer SRAM and others prefer Campy), and less often to derail. The lower end shifters feel more clunky and sometimes, I can't tell if it shifted well when I pedal hard uphills. That is the best way that I can explain what it feels like.

We would love to know which bike you ended up with though!
    Very helpful, thank you. I'm pretty much only looking at the Ruby right now (I'm not the original poster looking at the Amira), but I will for sure share what I get. Based on the posts here and the bike shops I've talked to (outlining my personal requirements/needs), the Ruby sounds dreamy to ride.

I love my Ruby. It's the one I plan to ride for Cycle Oregon.
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

When I purchased my Ruby, one of the LBS guys said that moving to the 105 components would give me the biggest "bang for the buck" and that there would be a less noticeable improvement moving to Ultegra. I definitely prefer the shifting with 105 than the Sora/Tiagra combo I had on my first bike.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Very helpful, thank you. I'm pretty much only looking at the Ruby right now (I'm not the original poster looking at the Amira), but I will for sure share what I get. Based on the posts here and the bike shops I've talked to (outlining my personal requirements/needs), the Ruby sounds dreamy to ride.
    Hi lor - I bought a 2nd hand Ruby Comp with 105 last November and, with the weather improving, am just beginning to get out more - She's wonderful! I had a professional bike fit session which really helped. Good luck!
    Jul 2013 - Genesis Croix de Fer
    Nov 2012 - 5yr old Specialized Ruby Comp
    2007 - Giant Cypress hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by azfiddle View Post
    When I purchased my Ruby, one of the LBS guys said that moving to the 105 components would give me the biggest "bang for the buck" and that there would be a less noticeable improvement moving to Ultegra. I definitely prefer the shifting with 105 than the Sora/Tiagra combo I had on my first bike.
    I can understand him saying that, as 105 components are quite decent, but I noticed a big difference in the Ruby Comp with Ultegra. Such a difference that that's what I ended up buying. I think the Ultegra group was lighter - the whole bike just seemed faster to me. And quieter shifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclingfun View Post
    Hi lor - I bought a 2nd hand Ruby Comp with 105 last November and, with the weather improving, am just beginning to get out more - She's wonderful! I had a professional bike fit session which really helped. Good luck!
    That makes me even more excited! I'm dying to go rent one and check it out, but I really want to get my tush reconditioned to the saddle before I jump on a new bike. I'm going on a ride tomorrow, and if I'm not sore, and it works in my schedule, I'm going for my first Ruby ride next week.

I am planning on getting a professional fit as well.

Totally off topic, but how the heck do you create a signature? I looked in the help file, but I think those instructions were for the old forum software.

Thanks, Muirenn. Maybe I have to post a certain number of times before I can create one. I can edit my avatar and profile, but there isn't currently an option for signature.

If I wasn't clear, he was suggesting that the difference between the Sora/Tiagra and 105 would be greater than the difference between 105 and Ultegra. I'm sure I'd like and notice the move up to Ultegra!
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Hmm. Maybe you should email the Administrator? (Cute dog, btw. ).
    I will, thanks! Leeloo the dog is my little doofus.

I rode a Roubaix today (they didn't have a Ruby in my size), and I LOVED it. I ordered the Ruby Sport and am so excited! It should be here next week! I used a ton of information from this thread and this forum to make my decision. Thanks to everyone!