Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Extremely Annoying Person - How to get away?

To disable ads, please log-in.

So as my title says, I have a bit of a conundrum. I am in a professional health program. I met a certain female, lets call her Kim, in my class that seemed to be struggling academically and socially. Short version is I felt sorry for her, tried to help her out, which I think I did, but honestly she is soooooooo annoying. She is loud, crude, extremely negative, immature to the nth degree, superficial, vain, all about full runway makeup every single day, has no problems just standing around in peoples way flipping her hair and dresses like she going to a club even when we are told to dress conservatively. She doesn't have a car so I made the mistake of offering her a ride and since then she came it expect it. So I have purposefully ridden my bike or 'had things to do' before or after a time she was trying to meet up with me to avoid burning my gas. I mean she lives a block and a half from school, it isn't like its a 5 mile walk! When I offered to give her rides to clinic she would make me late. She has done this to so many people now that no one wants to give her a ride to clinic. Sigh..... this person has done so many irresponsible things over the time I have known her that I just don't want to be associated any longer. At this point, especially since my classmates see her as a total joke, it's becoming harder to take her seriously. Have you ever met someone that dresses like they are going on the runway and that is pretty much all they have? From what I can see, I don't think she has any hobbies other than fighting with her daily BF on her phone. I mean the drama is so above and beyond what is normal that this is why myself and my classmates can't take her seriously. She started telling me graphic details about the guys she's dating and it grosses me out. When all is said and done, she absolutely repulses me. Since I started talking to her, she has clinged on to me since I am essentially the only person that speaks to her at school so it's hard to just ignore her and then I feel guilty because I know she has no other friends at the school. I did get her to talk to the school counselor when we first met. I've considered talking to the school counselor about ways to deal with this since she knows Kim's situation too.

This is a bit of a rant I realize, but I would love to hear any insight you might have on trying to eliminate this person from my routine. I still have another 7 months of being in the same place as her.

Since i'm not there, it's hard for me to see, but can't you tell her you are busy, you don't have time, please leave me alone?
    DO NOT give her any more rides!! If you give her the cold shoulder, she might find some other easy mark. I do think you speaking to the counselor would help YOU!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

This is a person who is trying to be a health professional? Gawd, that is scary.

I really try to avoid dealing with toxic people, and this woman sounds like the definition of toxic. You are justified in avoiding her.
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

If she can't get herself to where she needs to be herself, the problem should solve itself.
    Don't offer any enabling. The rest off it(make up, outfits, drama) is none of your business and if you don't hang out with her, really not your business at all.
    Last edited by Irulan; 04-09-2013 at 05:07 PM.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

I'm reading a book called "Azzhole."
    Although the author states that the majority are men, she seems to fit the definition, which has to do with entitlement.
    This book is hysterical. It's written like a serious philosophy text and makes comparisons with several historical and economic movements/theories in relation to "the azzhole."
    A little off topic, but your post reminded me of some of the things in the book.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I'm with Irulan on both her points. If your classmate continues to press you for a ride and you feel like a broken record in coming up with excuses, then I'd just tell her the truth. "You've made me run late so I'm not going to give you any other rides." Sounds harsh, I realize, but it may be something you need to say and she needs to hear.

But I also agree with Irulan that her others issues aren't your problem. I wouldn't talk to her school counselor about them. In fact, I'd be shocked if a school counselor would even talk to one student about another student's "problems" unless they were a threat to themselves or others. I'd otherwise just try to distance yourself as best you can. How much longer in your program do you have?
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

You don't owe her an explanation. "I can't give you a ride anymore" is a complete sentence. If she presses you, refuse to engage with her. Period.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmama View Post
    You don't owe her an explanation. "I can't give you a ride anymore" is a complete sentence. If she presses you, refuse to engage with her. Period.
    Good point. My suggestion offered a reason, but Dogmama is right. You do not have to give her a reason.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Thanks Indy. I always figure that arguing with someone like that is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. You get dirty & the pig loves it.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

I smell troll. Way to resurrect a zombie thread...
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    I smell troll. Way to resurrect a zombie thread...
    4 posts and referring to the @zzhole who op describes as always wearing full runway makeup as "him"? Not that there would be anything wrong with that. But yes, a troll.

They do serve a purpose though; rediscovering some great old threads!
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Our troll gives good advice on dealing with trolls though. And might actually be a him.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler