Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What I Wanted to Say vs What I Did Say

To disable ads, please log-in.

Finally getting out on the road again regularly since I was sidelined by a herniated disc 5 weeks ago. I was feeling a little crabby towards the end of a 20 mile ride because the numbness in my leg was returning and my hip wasn't happy about my attempts to pedal with proper form. One block away from my home, a lady lays on the horn behind me and yells, "get on the sidewalk!" A lady who was speeding through this residential area with many children playing on the street, no less. My usual response to hostility is a big smile and wave and a happy, "Have a NICE da-ay!", since the car-borne pests are usually gone and done before you can say, "madame, if you refer to Washington State law RCW 46.61.770, you will see that I am indeed riding lawfully, while you, in your little speedster, going 10 mph over the speed limit are not". As I said, I was feeling extra crabby and the woman simply enraged me. I wanted to yell that I had a right to be there and that she should slow the Bleep down, but it came out as, "RAAA, ruuu ra raaaa ROAD!" For a few moments I was worried I was having a stroke, but when I arrived home I was able to relate the story to my Dh correctly, and a peep in the mirror showed no slumping facial features on the left side or anything. I guess I will just stick to , "have a nice day" in the future...

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

well, if it's any consolation, if you actually HAD said what you meant to, it still would have sounded to her like "RAAA, ruuu ra raaaa ROAD!"

LOL that's funny. Glad you're ok.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

That occurred to me

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2012 Trek Mamba

you know, come to think of it, i was on a bike ride a few years ago where I had an altercation with a woman walking her dog. She thought the sidewalk was all hers, and honestly, she came up to me so fast that i was stunned, hurt and embarrassed. My response to her was about like what you said... I was totally inarticulate.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

I don't understand why people think they need to come up behind you and lay on the horn as they pass.
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

Sheer intimidation...

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2012 Trek Mamba

What I Wanted to Say vs What I Did Say

Here, guys in big diesel pickups like to come up beside you then hit the gas. Not only does the engine roar right in your ear, it produces a big cloud of black exhaust. The first couple times I thought it was coincidence but it happens far too often and is too perfectly timed for that.
    Road bike: Specialized Ruby Comp (2011)
    Commuter: Salsa Vaya (2012)

Quote Originally Posted by ZenBiker View Post
    Here, guys in big diesel pickups like to come up beside you then hit the gas. Not only does the engine roar right in your ear, it produces a big cloud of black exhaust. The first couple times I thought it was coincidence but it happens far too often and is too perfectly timed for that.
    It happens here too, on the East Coast. A buddy of mine was "smoked" like this while riding. A police officer witnessed the whole thing and pulled the driver over

Wow, I have never heard of a driver getting anything but a figurative medal for doing cr*p like that. Way to go, Becky's cop!

I get inarticulate like that whenever I'm a passenger and DH is doing something dangerous in the car. Not that he's learned, in nearly 20 years, that "wa wa huh ee wa EEEEE" means "pedestrian on your left, please stop looking at me."
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Wow, I have never heard of a driver getting anything but a figurative medal for doing cr*p like that. Way to go, Becky's cop!

I get inarticulate like that whenever I'm a passenger and DH is doing something dangerous in the car. Not that he's learned, in nearly 20 years, that "wa wa huh ee wa EEEEE" means "pedestrian on your left, please stop looking at me."
    Yeah, what she said...
    I guess I do that to Dh too: EEEEEEEEEE! EEEEEEEEE! means anything from, "don't get so close to the car in front", to "your speed in the turns is making me uncomfortable".

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2012 Trek Mamba

Re: What I Wanted to Say vs What I Did Say

I can't help but notice the term 'dh' around here frequently - what does it mean in this context? I gave up trying to figure it out after downhill didn't quite fit

Dear husband

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2012 Trek Mamba

Quote Originally Posted by lauraelmore1033 View Post
    Yeah, what she said...
    I guess I do that to Dh too: EEEEEEEEEE! EEEEEEEEE! means anything from, "don't get so close to the car in front", to "your speed in the turns is making me uncomfortable".
    Once while zipping along the streets of San Fran with DP at the helm and us chatting away, I looked up and saw a mom pushing a baby in stroller across the street (jaywalking, of course), and all I could spit out was: "Oh, baby!!!"

2001 Trek 7500 FX, converted to a hauler - Serfas
    200? Marin hybrid - Selle San Marco
    2004 Trek 5200 - Avatar
    2011 Trek 6.2 Madone - Ruby

Quote Originally Posted by Norse View Post
    Once while zipping along the streets of San Fran with DP at the helm and us chatting away, I looked up and saw a mom pushing a baby in stroller across the street (jaywalking, of course), and all I could spit out was: "Oh, baby!!!"
    Too funny

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2012 Trek Mamba

This thread has me in hysterics. Thanks for the laughs, everyone.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher