Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Rough start

Unhappy Rough start-first day wreck

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi ladies, I'm happy to have found you! i have been lurking for months while I was trying to find a decent starter road bike on craigslist. I'm a stay at home mom with three little kiddos (7,5, and 3) and am hoping it will be a fun hobby/fitness deal and I do want to do a sprint triathlon this year. I finally found a 2011 specialized dolce that was a bit beat up and had some weird components for about $350. Luckily, I have a friend who worked in a bike shop for a long time and I just had to buy the parts (derailer, new cables, new tires, and a few other things) for about $120 and got everything nice and spiffy. I was SO excited to finally have a bike and have it all fixed up. Yesterday, literally my first day of getting it back, I was dying to ride it but it's tax season and my CPA hubby is not home during daylight hours right now so I couldn't take a real ride (since I didn't have anyone to watch the kids). I just started going up and down my private country (but paved) street where there is a pretty decent hill just up from my house. After a couple times I took my five year old to ride down the hill with me. He's been riding since he was three and had no problem with it, we did it about three times. Then I had him trade with my seven year old daughter so she could ride down the hill. We cruised down and slowed down and were side by side having a conversation about how fun that had been, when we were getting ready to turn into the driveway I heard her get behind me and before I could figure out what was going on she slammed into my bike from the back/side. Miraculously, she wasn't hurt at all (thank goodness! She even still went to gymnastics that night) but my bike and I were all tangled up and dragged across the road. My hands have some pretty deep scrapes that are down to meat on my palms, i have some minor road rash (through my jeans even!). The worst part is when I'm pregnant, I have a condition with my public bones separating, "symphysis pubic dysfunction," and haven't had problem with it for three + years just after my last child was born, but I feel like the impact to my hip pulled that ligament and cause it again. And I sprained my left wrist. I'm so bummed. Not really sure with the means for my riding. My bike was mostly on top of me so it's not in too bad of shape, just the rims of the tires were wonky and the handle bars scratched up pretty good. My friend got it all fixed up and rideable again, though. So anyway, here are my questions:

Has anyone had experience riding with the pelvic separation problem, will it cause it more stress or will I be ok to ride?
    What about the sprained wrist, I am gonna have to wait a little until I can stand it to ride (the pain was too much when I tried again) but as soon as I can handle it, can I use it?
    Is there a link to all the acronym meanings for this forum? LOL I have figured out some of them but others have me lost. Thanks!
    Last edited by karmajoy; 04-03-2013 at 09:24 AM.