Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

Always pick up your blood results, it gives you time to go over them and digest them. I get mine done and pick up the results before the appt so I can talk about them if I needed to (which I haven't though). She told you (as I read it) that you are failing to concentrate urine, which would have a physiological cause that should not be a blow off remark. IMHO.
    I just pee a lot because I drink a lot and I no doubt have appalling pelvic floor tone. I would love a fix for that that did not involve scary adverts for class action law suits.

It is common for older people to not absorb nutrients or water as well as they did when they were younger. If you read the earlier comments you will find that I am not the only person here like that; which was what I was trying to find out. I was hoping for commiseration, i am comfortable and satisfied with my doctors' diagnoses.

At the age of 61 I went to my doctor recently and told her i was tired of waking up 3 or 4 times a night to pee. She told me, stop getting up. I have learned that i can go back to sleep sometimes and now I don't usually get up to go more than 2 x a night.

I am in really good shape and enjoy good health. The fact is, my body is 61 years old whether I like it or not. We have to deal with the hand we are dealt.

thanks everyone for your thoughts.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Yeah Mimi, the urge is always to find an answer, a fix. It sounds like you are just fine and don't need to be fixed.

My very old dog drinks a lot of water and pees a lot. The vet says it is because she is very, very old with very old kidneys. But you aren't old like my 17 year old dog.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Ha, we were having this conversation the other night. Training ourselves to not get out of bed to pee just because we woke up
    Of course better to drink and go to the bathroom often than to not go at all (quote from my sis - the urologist)

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    It is common for older people to not absorb nutrients or water as well as they did when they were younger. If you read the earlier comments you will find that I am not the only person here like that; which was what I was trying to find out. I was hoping for commiseration, i am comfortable and satisfied with my doctors' diagnoses.

At the age of 61 I went to my doctor recently and told her i was tired of waking up 3 or 4 times a night to pee. She told me, stop getting up. I have learned that i can go back to sleep sometimes and now I don't usually get up to go more than 2 x a night.

I am in really good shape and enjoy good health. The fact is, my body is 61 years old whether I like it or not. We have to deal with the hand we are dealt.

thanks everyone for your thoughts.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
    Ha, we were having this conversation the other night. Training ourselves to not get out of bed to pee just because we woke up
    Ugh; I so struggle with this. If I wake up and it occurs to me that I might need to go to the bathroom, it then becomes an obsessive thought in my mind that I can only rid myself of....by getting up and going to the bathroom. So, any tips on how train oneself not to get up?
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    Ugh; I so struggle with this. If I wake up and it occurs to me that I might need to go to the bathroom, it then becomes an obsessive thought in my mind that I can only rid myself of....by getting up and going to the bathroom. So, any tips on how train oneself not to get up?
    As long as there isn't a cat walking across my face, insisting that it's play time, I try to take a deep abdominal breath, exhale, and think "sleeeeeep" along with the exhale. I also try to gently roll my eyes upward to give them a little nudge in the right direction. If that doesn't work, I just get up and go to the bathroom By then, the cat knows I'm up, and a whole new battle begins.

Quote Originally Posted by IBrakeforPastry View Post
    As long as there isn't a cat walking across my face, insisting that it's play time, I try to take a deep abdominal breath, exhale, and think "sleeeeeep" along with the exhale. I also try to gently roll my eyes upward to give them a little nudge in the right direction. If that doesn't work, I just get up and go to the bathroom By then, the cat knows I'm up, and a whole new battle begins.
    Yeah; I've tried some yogic breathing to no avail. Over the past few years, I've had several issues that have just not helped at all in this regardl. First, I had a series of UTIs over the course of about six months that made me want to urinate all the time, especially at night. Second, I developed Graves' Disease, which made it extremely difficult to sleep/fall back asleep. Now, my brain simply refuses to relax when I wake up in the middle of the night unless I go to the bathroom. At least I can fall back asleep most nights. For a while, it was all over the minute I woke up. Last night, I managed to stay asleep all night. I can't remember the last time that happened.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

believe it or not, one of the best things i have learned about going back to sleep is relaxing my tongue! (from my yoga teacher) i just put the tip of my tongue above my front teeth and tell it to relax. this relaxes the neck muscles. he also has me get into a pose with a pillow under my knees and my arms bent up... it has worked incredibly well.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna

Quote Originally Posted by IBrakeforPastry View Post
    At least your cat is mobile. Ours becomes this solid little concrete weight, sleeping sprawled on top of whichever of us most desperately needs to get up. When she sleeps, she almost goes into a coma. (This cat doesn't do anything by half)
    Queen of the sea beasts

Quote Originally Posted by nuliajuk View Post
    At least your cat is mobile. Ours becomes this solid little concrete weight, sleeping sprawled on top of whichever of us most desperately needs to get up. When she sleeps, she almost goes into a coma. (This cat doesn't do anything by half)
    Well, there's that, too. He doesn't burrow under the covers. He stays on top of the bedding, and snuggles up against me, pinning me in place. If I roll over quickly, he'll be flung off the bed. Tempting, but I'm too nice. I do all sorts of twisting and turning to not disturb His Royal Highness.

MOSTLY COMMISERATION!

When I wake up in the night I can just get up and pee without waking up all the way as long as I don't turn on the light. I was quite a sleepwalker when I was younger, so maybe it's leftover from that. If I am semi-conscious a few minutes after I get in bed, I turn on the radio which is set to the most boring nighttime station. When the powers that be switch the night radio to something more perky I either find a more boring station or listen to Alan Watts recordings on my ipad. Foreign language recordings will also work for me.

Maybe it is helpful that I've had intermittent sleep issues all my life, so I don't think of it as any big deal.

Dehydration sucks.
    Unless I have an IV, or am in Hawaii, I will always fail the 'tent test.' (Pinch up the skin on the back of the hand; if it stays in a tent then you are dehydrated. Ideally it should snap back flat.)
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Malkin, i don't know how old you are, but as you get older, your skin gets less pliant... might not mean you're dehydrated, just old (ducks)
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna

*snort*

I've been flunking the hydration test for decades, so now in mid-50s, I am not 'just old' but old and dehydrated.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.