Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

older women dehydration issues?

To disable ads, please log-in.

it seems that i just cannot drink enough during and after a bike ride to keep from being dehydrated the next day.
    it often takes me 2-3 days before i really catch up.

My doctor told me the issue is that my body does not absorb the water fast enough (I am peeing it out ) anyone else have this issue? It's getting annoying.
    At least this morning when i woke up with a headache i was tuned in enough to just get up and start drinking...
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Are you sure you're getting enough salt?

That's a perennial issue for me, as I've mentioned before. When I'm borderline hyponatremic, first thing that happens is I pee all the time to try to concentrate sodium in my blood, next thing is I get so nauseous I can't drink water. What you're describing sounds EXACTLY like what happens to me when I go into a ride/run balanced, but don't get enough salt during the exertion or immediately after.

Typically people sweat out 500-1000 mg sodium an hour during exertion. Sodium is the one mineral that humans can't get from plant and animal foods and MUST supplement.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

i do drink NUUN.. i guess just not enough! and as the evening gets later, i hate to drink a lot, or i am up all night as well.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna

what's a podium bottle?
    I rode 10 miles and drank a 16 ounce bottle of water. Then we stopped for lunch where i ate lots of salty things and drank another 16 ounces. put juice and water in it and rode home
    finished the juice/water mix with a bottle of nuun. and drank tea later and had a nice dinner with salt on things. and yet, this morning the headache.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna

I keep putting in a word for V8 because it has potassium as well as sodium. Quite a lot of both-- more than gatorade (per volume). Also it doesn't have the sugar of sports drinks & gels etc. I suspect sugar may throw off the osmotic balance as well.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

I'll second the V8, I used to down a couple of little cans right after finishing a long training walk (in my short-lived endurance walking career).

Mimi, I know it's a pain having to get up in the middle of the night to pee, but it sounds like you need to drink a bit more in the evenings.

nuun is not sugary, it is sweetened with sorbitol. I like some of the V8 drinks, just didn't have them yesterday.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna

sigh, Snap, i think you're right.

I still don't know what a Podium Bottle is. ok, ok, i'll google it. ok, i googled it. It just looks like a water bottle.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Hope you find a solution, Mimi.

There is a big difference between Vancouver (where I am now) and Calgary, Alberta (where I will go back soon). In latter city, I make sure I wear chapstick even in warm weather. I drink twice as much water compared to Vancouver.

I get paranoid of having my water bottle stolen at the wrong time during a bike ride .. and I have had this happen twice in each Vancouver, Toronto.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

stolen? who would steal a water bottle? After some big rides I've seen lots of bottles on the road, they bounce off your bikes! but i would be afraid to be without water too...
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    ONe bottle had Kauai marked on it -I did get it from Hawaii. Another had the logo of a women's cycling group that belonged to.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

I wish I'd had you gals to figure it out for me when it first started happening to me 20 years ago. I spent literally 15 years thinking it was primary dehydration, including the time I wound up on an IV when it never occurred to the ER doctors either...

um, Oakleaf, what do you mean?
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna

For years it never occurred to me that I needed more salt. I kept trying to drink more plain water and couldn't figure out why I was dehydrated. I'm just dense, I guess.

oh oh, of course, electrolytes. But at the hospital, the stuff they pumped into you was saline!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna