Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I like pink and I refuse to feel bad about it.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Oh, this colour has SO much gender-specific baggage attached to it. I feel like I'm buying into all that crap when I buy it, I feel like I'm supporting the stereotype. But I like it, and I firmly believe in not letting other people decide how I feel about feel about something.

So, I destroyed my Orange Apollo. It was my daily beater, I had it for a year and day, I rode it everywhere everyday. I killed it by going through a roundabout, into a pot hole, and over the curb - I don't know how or why this happened. I didn't even fall off, but as I rode away I noticed the paint was chipped and it was supper wobbly

First call I made was to my bike shop, to tell the owner I need a new bicycle and that I'll be in on the weekend.

They had one bike that fit me, it was the exact brand & size of my destroyed bicycle. A Green Apollo, I call it Apollo 2: Return of Apollo (see, if this happens two more times the bikes will be Apollo 3: son of Apollo and then Apollo 4: IN SPACE. I may have thought a little to much about this). I hemed and hawed over the bar tape, but settled on pink. And got asked "why pink?".

Why would anyone even ask that. They wouldn't ask "why brown" or "why blue", and it's just...a little frustrating, even though I know they didn't mean anything by it. They even crimped my break cables with pink...crimp-thingies, I love those guys.

The Terrible Bike Shop had something to say on the subject as well. When I asked for pink fenders for my black cyclecross, he asked me "are you SURE?"
    "Yes."
    "really sure?" *looks at me like I'm being stupid*
    "uh, I don't know, maybe green would be nice?"

And I have always regretted letting that jerk talk me out of it.

Online the other day, I came across a comment that went something like, "Those ladies riding their cruisers, all dressed in pink. I don't think they're serious about cycling."

Not only is it bothersome because I own more than one bike and I LIKE riding my mixte in a flowery pink dress; buy why is anyone associating a colour with a "not serious cyclist"? I also like going on 80km + rides on my road bike, and I bike-commute every day. I am a serious cyclist, I ride a cruiser sometimes, and I like pink.

Never let anyone make you think pink is stupid.
    Never let anyone tell you that you should like pink if you don't.
    Never let anyone try and tell you that marketing things toward women by making them is pink isn't stupid, because it's stupid as balls. I like the colour and I'm sick of that.

And now, bask in the radiance of my amazing pink & green Apollo.

So glad I don't have to change my signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Antaresia View Post
    Never let anyone try and tell you that marketing things toward women by making them is pink isn't stupid, because it's stupid as balls. I like the colour and I'm sick of that.
    Hear, hear!

Beautiful! Sorry about your old bike, but enjoy the new!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Online the other day, I came across a comment that went something like, "Those ladies riding their cruisers, all dressed in pink. I don't think they're serious about cycling."
    But really, what does this mean? How does someone define "serious about cycling"?

It's a silly concept.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I love your pink and green Apollo.

I like pink as a color, too. I hate that it's gotten such a lousy reputation. Poor pink!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

I am not much of a pink fan (I just don't like pastel type tones) but I love your Apollo. The colors really work well together.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Quote Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
    I am not much of a pink fan (I just don't like pastel type tones) but I love your Apollo. The colors really work well together.
    I like pink, though based on the number of red sweaters in my closet I seem to like red more. I really like bright pink (more fuchsia than pastel) for cycling jerseys, since it tends to be visible from pretty far away.

I think a green bike with pink accents looks great.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I like bright pink jerseys so people know I'm a girl! Most biking clothes are so unflattering that combined with a helmet and sunglasses, I'm afraid I may look gender-neutral. I just may be a little over self-conscious, of course. And besides, pink looks better on me than screaming yellow.

The new bike is beautiful, and I think pink fenders on a black bike would also look sharp! Good for you for sticking to your choices!

They say that one of the reasons the women's tools are pink is to prevent the guys from stealing them (accidently or on purpose). I wonder if that works for bikes, too?

Re: I like pink and I refuse to feel bad about it.

Beautiful! Hot pink and love the green! That combination just can't be beat!

I think it's lovely -- I like pink too, and am not ashamed to admit it!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Re: I like pink and I refuse to feel bad about it.

I don't like pink. But I also don't like red. I never think one way or the other when people pick a specific color other than they like it. I think your bike looks fantastic. Green happens to be my favorite color.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Your bike looks great :-)

I rock a pink and white bike. With pink tires, pink bottle cages, pink cable housing. And I wear pink jerseys with pink shoes & a pink & black helmet. No apologies.
    “Though she be but little, she is fierce!” -Shakespeare

I like this post!! And the bike looks great.

Oh, this colour has SO much gender-specific baggage attached to it. I feel like I'm buying into all that crap when I buy it, I feel like I'm supporting the stereotype. But I like it, and I firmly believe in not letting other people decide how I feel about feel about something.

So, I destroyed my Orange Apollo. It was my daily beater, I had it for a year and day, I rode it everywhere everyday. I killed it by going through a roundabout, into a pot hole, and over the curb - I don't know how or why this happened. I didn't even fall off, but as I rode away I noticed the paint was chipped and it was supper wobbly

First call I made was to my bike shop, to tell the owner I need a new bicycle and that I'll be in on the weekend.

They had one bike that fit me, it was the exact brand & size of my destroyed bicycle. A Green Apollo, I call it Apollo 2: Return of Apollo (see, if this happens two more times the bikes will be Apollo 3: son of Apollo and then Apollo 4: IN SPACE. I may have thought a little to much about this). I hemed and hawed over the bar tape, but settled on pink. And got asked "why pink?".

Why would anyone even ask that. They wouldn't ask "why brown" or "why blue", and it's just...a little frustrating, even though I know they didn't mean anything by it. They even crimped my break cables with pink...crimp-thingies, I love those guys.

The Terrible Bike Shop had something to say on the subject as well. When I asked for pink fenders for my black cyclecross, he asked me "are you SURE?"
    "Yes."
    "really sure?" *looks at me like I'm being stupid*
    "uh, I don't know, maybe green would be nice?"

And I have always regretted letting that jerk talk me out of it.

Not only is it bothersome because I own more than one bike and I LIKE riding my mixte in a flowery pink dress; buy why is anyone associating a colour with a "not serious cyclist"? I also like going on 80km + rides on my road bike, and I bike-commute every day. I am a serious cyclist, I ride a cruiser sometimes, and I like pink.

So glad I don't have to change my signature.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

I like pink too. I love purple. I've had people tell me I am not the pink or purple type. What exactly is that?

I love your green and pink bike.
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

I had a pink bike -- sort of a dusty rose -- until my husband wrecked his and I gave it to him. He has no qualms riding it.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl