Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunscreen

Sunscreen

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm looking for info on sunscreen allergies and possibly some recommendations. I'm finding that all the regular sunscreens give both me and DH hives after a day or two of use if I'm wearing it all day for more than one day. I've searched a lot, and I am not able to determine if it's the so-called "waterproof" factor, or a specific ingredient. The better more expensive brands such as Aveeno and Neutrogena have the exact same active ingredients as Banana Boat and similar. I just picked some waterproof from Trader Joes that specifically says non- comedegentic (non pore blocking) butup here in the great white cold north I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Thoughts or comments anyone? This is kind of important as my next Caribbean trip is coming up in 10 days. :-)

Irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Have you tried a zinc oxide based one? Badger and Blue Lizard are options.
    They will make your face a little ghostly pale and feel a bit sticker than the other stuff.
    They're not as easy to find in stores, but you can find them online.
    2011 Cannondale CAADX 105
    2012 Jamis Dragon 29er
    2012 Jamis Xenith Endura Comp

I like Eco Logical. It's also zinc oxide based but doesn't turn me as blue as Badger does, nor is it quite as greasy. It doesn't take much, and protects me plenty for a four-hour run. That said, I only put the cream on my nose, ears and neck, and use cooling sleeves on my arms, since any cream will interfere with sweat cooling. Also the tops of my feet if I'm going to be walking around in sandals all day.

Then I just saw another brand in a surf shop that's also zinc oxide based, paraben free and reef safe, but I can't remember the brand name. They're just around the corner from me so I'll check again next time I'm over there.

Especially in the Caribbean, make sure you use a reef safe sunblock, whatever you choose. (And have fun!!!!)
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 03-26-2013 at 08:29 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I forgot to mention that we both absolutely hate the haze that zinc oxide types leave on the body. Of course I know about the reef safe stuff, we've been diving for years.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

I wonder if you could dive in any of the cooling shirts? I'm sure the Zoot sleeves are form-fitting and non-water-retaining enough to go underwater with. But they don't make a full-coverage shirt.

I've read enough about titanium dioxide nanoparticles that I'm not convinced that's safe. So, zinc oxide it is for me, and just put it on thinly enough that I'm not *too* blue. I still get plenty of sun protection from a thin layer.

I actually spend most of my time on a beach chair under a palapa or walking as I don't dive any more. I have coverups for snorkeling so that's not a problem.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

I used to use Neutrogena sunscreen that was labeled "for sensitive skin" and that I think used zinc oxide, and I developed an allergy to it.

And yet I have no allergy problems with the Neutrogena Sport sunscreen. I just don't like to use it for everyday wear because it's too greasy.

(I also have allergy problems with some cosmetics that are labeled hypoallergenic.)

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I use Neutrogena Ultra Sheer dry-touch sunblock - it's SPF 55. I love it.
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

FWIW, I have never used a Neutrogena product that *didn't* break me out...

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    I'm looking for info on sunscreen allergies and possibly some recommendations. I'm finding that all the regular sunscreens give both me and DH hives after a day or two of use if I'm wearing it all day for more than one day. I've searched a lot, and I am not able to determine if it's the so-called "waterproof" factor, or a specific ingredient. The better more expensive brands such as Aveeno and Neutrogena have the exact same active ingredients as Banana Boat and similar. I just picked some waterproof from Trader Joes that specifically says non- comedegentic (non pore blocking) butup here in the great white cold north I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Thoughts or comments anyone? This is kind of important as my next Caribbean trip is coming up in 10 days. :-)

Irulan
    It's the PABA. Find one that says specifically "PABA FREE" or words to that effect. I use Coppertone paba free and have never broken out since I made the switch.

Sunscreen

Does PABA go by another name? None of the ones I have that make me break out list it as an ingredient (active or inactive) but they don't say PABA-free, either. Something I read last year makes me think it could be one of the waterproofing ingredients - I need to try to find that info again.

You do have to be careful with clothing- you can still get burned through a lot of fabrics .
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

I've been buying PABA-free sunscreens for years but still have allergy problems with some of them. It's trial and error for me.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

There are SO many sensitizing ingredients they use ... and since sensitivity develops from exposure, it's common for people to be sensitive to several of the common ingredients.

I'd start with products you know *don't* sensitize you and compare the ingredient lists to products you want to try. Try to buy something with as few potential culprits as possible before adding in the next one. Maybe you have a friend with less-sensitive skin that you could give your unused product to ... I've thrown away so much moisturizer over the years.

My dermatologist recommended Solbar

Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    My dermatologist recommended Solbar
    Contains OctylMethoxycinnamate ... not reef safe.

FWIW, research on zinc oxide nanoparticles so far shows that it IS safe (to the surprise of pretty much everyone). So, while the sunblocks I favor are non-nano mostly because of the other ingredients, you should be able to find a nanoparticle zinc oxide sunblock that won't turn you blue.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 03-27-2013 at 01:36 PM.